Which Head/Half-Stack to buy?

Metal Moose

SwampKnight
Feb 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
www.myspace.com
Hey there fellow metalheads and musicians! :headbang:

Well, as my band is rolling on further and further, I'm looking to upgrade my equipment, but need some suggestions.

We play melodical death metal, so I'm looking for an amp/head that will give me a pretty clean sound, and also one that is loud. I currently have a GBX half stack w/ Celestion speakers, which is alright, but not quite what I'm looking for.

So... my plan is to get the head first, and use my current cabinet. And when I save enough, then buy a new cabinet too.

Also, I'm just out of college and don't make much, so I'm looking for the best "bang for my buck."

I've heard Line 6's are good, maybe people could refer some models? I also heard Krank amps are nice.

Please, give me some suggestions. :worship: Your help is really appreciated.

i also play in a melodic death metal band which is kinda of a mix between amon amarth and dark tranquillity, check us out just click the fimbulwinter link in my signature....

this is the one i use and the one my lead guitarist will be getting, it sounds great and and its very very very cheap....

here

than this is a nice line 6 head that ive played...

here

i would play em before i buy em though, hope this helped

Depending on how much you can spend, the Randall MTS stuff is absolutly amazing. You can have the cleanest cleans and the most insane distortions. My friend actually owns a store in NY that I used to work for and he carries em. Drop him an e-mail if you want

www.guitarmannyc.com

The Ultra, 1086, XTC, Recto and SL+ are all really great high gain modules. The cool thing is unlike Line 6, it isn't just a generic tone where you can switch the values, but each preamp his different circuitry so you get a totally different tone/voice with each preamp. They also have the V2 amps that are out, which also kick ass. SS and tube preamps with an onboard graphic EQ. Check em out, I play on the MTS stuff like 6 days a week, so let me know if you have any questions on em

Edit: Just read how much you can spend. Between the 2 heads (RM100), the V2 is cheaper, but it's far from inferior, just different

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll see if any stores around here carry those, so I can try them out.

And wow, 500$ for a half-stack and head? That's super cheap, but I'm sceptical about quality. Although, I had a smaller Crate amp in the past, and loved it.

By the way, I tried checking out band, but got this message...

Invalid Friend ID.
This user has either cancelled their membership, or their acccount has been deleted.

Edit: Yeah, so I just typed in the band name instead. Band sounds fucking awesome, I love it!

Im looking for a new head too. Im using the GT3500 Crate head now with the Celestion speakers but i want to upgrade to a tube head. I tried the BV120 head and i wasn't that impressed but I really want to try the BV150 since it has the extra gain channel that will give it the extra boost that the 120 doesnt have. Im interested in the Randall though, whats the price range on those?