good 'all round' monitors

Jan 4, 2010
eghc
wassup guys.

i have recently noticed my left alesis m1 active mk2 has started popping, which may have been my fault for setting a guitar head wayyyyyy too loud and turning it on. causing a big explosion of krank sound and my monitors dieing. :cry:

anyway, i have some spare cash floating about so i thought it may be time to replace them anyway, this has just given me the final drive too do it.

i am looking around the £300/£350 mark for some decent 'all round' monitors. i use my alesis' with my mac for not just recording, but movies, general listening to music and other everyday things, so i am not looking for anything too true or anything, but something still possible to mix on (i have a pair of dt 100's which i use for mixing too, so its not a worry).

a few i have been thinking about are:
YAMAHA HS80M
GENELEC 6010A
KRK ROKIT RP6 G2

they are all just about in my price range, but i cannot decide between them, therefor you guys can help me out :). just give me opinions on them if you have had any previous experience with any of these speakers.

thanks in advance :)
jam

While the Genelecs are nice, they just won't do as 'all round' monitors. They're extremely small, and you can hear it. Trust me. I haven't heard the new RP6's, so I can't comment on those, but I've owned the HS80's for a year and a half or so, and IMHO they're absolutely wonderful considering the price. I'm certain you wouldn't be disappointed with them.

sweet, the honestly were the ones i was thinking of going for.
i know someone who has them and i have only heard them a tiny bit but they sounded good when i did.
plus the ns10 look is an added bonus (hahahaha).

cheers for quick reply broseph, will wait a little while longer just to see what everyone else says and check that the yamaha's are the right choice :).

jam

hmm the hs80s again, nice.
oh and right ill bear that in mind crillemannen.
huge difference if i left it at 0db then? i thought i had to change these types of things according to my room :S.

@AudioPhile777 - ....i r waitinz

jam

well maybe your ears are not ass sensibly as mine but this monitors can be quite fatigue, and they are bright as hell, but very honest. If your mix sound good on these, they sound good anywhere trust me.

I will probably keep these for life, even if i upgrade to K+M 300 or even a pair of barefoots.

Cheers

ahh i see. well these do sound like the safest best for me then :).
when i pick them up i will play around with the eq on the back and make them work for me, just never had a real chance to use them so im prettly clueless to the sound.
but you guys have helped so thank you very much for that :).

jam

Apologies if this has been discussed before, a quick search didn't turn up much, but this topic has me curious; anyone have any experience with the differences between the HS50M's and the HS80M's? The 50's are about half the price of the 80's and it's not immediately obvious to me where the compromises are. Any input or links to comparisons?

Apologies if this has been discussed before, a quick search didn't turn up much, but this topic has me curious; anyone have any experience with the differences between the HS50M's and the HS80M's? The 50's are about half the price of the 80's and it's not immediately obvious to me where the compromises are. Any input or links to comparisons?

The 80s have 8" woofers, the 50s 5" woofers.

The 80s have more output and due to the speaker size a better bass response, respectively a wider frequency range.

The 80s have 8" woofers, the 50s 5" woofers.

The 80s have more output and due to the speaker size a better bass response, respectively a wider frequency range.

Hm. Sounds like the 50s would be a weak reference for building a tight low-end in a mix, then. I'm guessing the idea is to provide a reference for lo-fi systems to A/B against. In any case, definitely not going to meet the needs I have for new monitors in the first place. Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah the 50s are IMHO good reference monitors, in the same way that NS10s are good reference ones: not the best sounding (hyped highs etc.) or most revealing, but (as crillemannen already said about the 80s) if you get your mix to sound good on them, you don't have to worry much about translation.

But using them as mains without a sub can (as you guessed) get you into trouble with (sub-)bass, without noticing. ;)

I was honestly waiting for Marcus to post...

I personally dig my HS80s... you should just get a decent set in the $700+ (pair) range and mix a lot on them and listen to stuff you like/know on them and get used to them... there is really no be-all/end-all monitor solution for everyone.

Point: This is of course meant for the home/semi pro studio setup.

Well i have my Yamaha in my studio, and i trust em in every frequency even in the low end. but i remember before when i hade them in my home studio i always had to check the low end in headphones because i usually got a bump between 80-150hz in my mixes but if it was the room or my untrained ears i cant tell :loco:

i thought i had to change these types of things according to my room :S.

This is correct. Start with all the switches flat, not altering the sound. Then, if you feel you need to (AND you have already treated your room), fiddle around with the switches. I don't find these monitors fatiguing by nature at all, the high range actually feels quite a bit more pleasant (not necessarily a good thing) than what Genelecs are known for.

nice, you guys have all helped me out alot. in the coming months i may get myself some hs80's. you all seem to be leaning toward them the most so seems like the best bet :).

jam