Time to buy new monitors. (budget: 1000 $)

jhrv

Mar 27, 2007
I need a little help from you guys. I want to buy a new pair of monitors. For now I have a pair of $200 Alesis monitors and although they do not sound bad for the price I think it's time to buy something better.

My choices are between:

- Dynaudio bm5a
- Adam's A5
- Adam's A7
- Yamaha HS80m
- Genelec 8020a

My room is somewhat small, which may influence the final desicion.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

I think all of those are good choices. A7's and HS80's seem to get a lot of love here, and will probably be great in a small room.

I think all of those are good choices. A7's and HS80's seem to get a lot of love here, and will probably be great in a small room.

Thanks Wolfeman. I want to make a good choice to avoid having to consider changing monitors for a while.

MSP7's only if you don't want to use them for listening for pleasure, those things can get harsh real fast! (titanium tweeters) On the plus side, I've heard that makes them incredibly useful for mixing because of the ultimate precision you get; I couldn't really judge when I heard them at Sam Ash, but they were definitely...bright

i was in a similar situation last year....new monitor time and 1k budget.

ended up getting adam p11a's (ok, those are 1300 but you get what you pay for), but it was a close call between those and the genelec 8040 (even more expensive, but GREAT imaging!!). seriously, imho those two monitors are the best thing you can get in the medium price range. i used to mix on the hs80m and they don't even come close to the adams. once again, you get what you pay for. for the money, the hs80m are outstanding though.

adam a7 + sub is also an alternative which enables you to split the purchases....i wouldn't want to mix on a pair of a7 without a sub though. just too little information below 90hz for my taste. the p11a on the other hand accurately play back up to like 50hz. there are times where i'd still like to have a tad more sublow information (especially when listening to "arena rock" a la nickelback or alice in chains) but it's definitely fine the way it is.

the thing is, i didn't want to spend more than 1k either, but at the end i didn't feel like the cheaper ones (dynaudio bx5a, focal cms50, genelec 8030, krk vxt8) were enough of an upgrade to the hs80m...especially the dyns were surprisingly similar to the yammies. i felt that with a monitor upgrade i might as well get something that'll last me a long time, and the adams along with the 8040 gens were the only logical choices.

so, bottom line is, it depends on what you're looking for.
if you're just looking for a reasonable priced upgrade to your alesis monitors, i'd assume hs80m, adam a7, or maybe even the 8030 genelecs (they might work for you, i felt the mids were awkward) will do the job.
if you're looking for something that'll keep you satisfied a looong time, check out some of the stuff up to 1,5k, particulary adam p11a and genelec 8040.

One thing I will say about the HS80M- it does not flatter your mix or your room.

I've heard monitors before which make pretty much all mixes on them have a common characteristic and smear the detail. The Yamaha's do not.

I have read that the A5 have the same sound clarity and depth than the A7 with a little less bass, others say the difference between them is quite remarkable. If the A5 sounds like the A7 with less bass, then I think that considering the size of my room, the A5 would be the best choice. The Yamaha msp7 also seems a good choice, but I do not know which of the two choose from.

I compared a few monitors (my budget was around 800€) and while the Adam A5s low end was a bit too little, the A7s had plenty of it, but without hyping it. The HS-50 had like _no_ low end at all, and again I felt like the HS-80s had plenty. Comparing those 4 pairs to the rockit VXT6 and RP2 6/8 series, the Adam A7s felt most accurate and had the best stereo image by far.. for me!

Btw if you look at the frequency range, you will se that the hs80 actually don't go enough lower to make it audible. Very Strange is that you don't find the Yamahas frequencyrange abberation, what Males me think it's worse than the +/- 3 Adam tolerate.

You will have to test the monitors to find the best one for you ;)

PS: Because of the special tweeter, Adam monitors do have quite different high end compared to 'normal' tweeters. More accurate imho, others might say "softened"