Good black metal compilations?

Joe B

Newcomer to metal!
Apr 30, 2007
Eastbourne, UK
I have been getting into metal quite a bit, and in particular black metal. I have tried several artists, but I thought the best way for me to discover new artists is maybe to try a few compilations, which are the best ones to try?

And also if any exist, I wouldn't mind a few folk metal compilations to try to.

Cheers :) I downloaded a few burzum tribute comps, but thats all I have now :lol:

I personally recommend you not to start with compilations, but with Black Metal classics, like:

Mayhem - Deathcrush/De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Darkthrone - first four albums
Immortal - first three albums
Burzum - first four albums
Satyricon - first three albums
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark

Hoping you'll like Black Metal and become a True Blackster...

Cheers (to Black Metal!)

Hey ^^^ Burzum is one of my favourite black metal artists actually (well from the limited ones I have listened to), I really love his music. I have an emperor album on my hd, and maybe darkthrone (but haven't heard the others you reccomended, so I will download them now). My favourite BM band is Negura Bunget though :D

But reccomendations for those albums are appreciated, it seems there is so much metal out there, and deciding what to try next is always much easier from people reccomending whats good and what isnt :)

Try the compilation put together by Fenriz, "The Best Of Old School Black Metal."

I personally recommend you not to start with compilations, but with Black Metal classics, like:

Mayhem - Deathcrush/De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Darkthrone - first four albums
Immortal - first three albums
Burzum - first four albums
Satyricon - first three albums
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark

Hoping you'll like Black Metal and become a True Blackster...

Cheers (to Black Metal!)

Just wanted to edit this list:

Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Transylvanian Hunger

Immortal - All their albums

Emperor - Besides Nightside.. get Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk

Bathory - Bathory
The Return
Under the Sign
Blood Fire Death
Hammerheart

Note: Reason I only recommended those 2 Darkthrone albums is because they are a acquired taste and their songs are very repetitive so you might as well start with their 2 most popular albums...

Hey, I tried finding that comp but had no luck. Will look further.

And unfaithful, I just listened to one of your reccomendations: Satyricon - Dark Medieval. I like it a lot, I will be giving their whole discography a go in fact. I'm downloading the two others you said right now. Cheers

Hey Meth, yes I'm definately more into that kind of stuff. I just queued up summoning to download, but which are the best to try do you think?

Was quite a few I believe, and I couldn't decide which. I made a thread asking for ambient/atmospheric black metal lol, but I'm looking to try other black metal too. Listening to Bathory now, I like it in parts (but I'm kind of slightly put off by the vocals on this one); Under the sign is the album I'm listening too.

Hey Meth, yes I'm definately more into that kind of stuff. I just queued up summoning to download, but which are the best to try do you think?

Was quite a few I believe, and I couldn't decide which. I made a thread asking for ambient/atmospheric black metal lol, but I'm looking to try other black metal too. Listening to Bathory now, I like it in parts (but I'm kind of slightly put off by the vocals on this one); Under the sign is the album I'm listening too.

you can find that Fenriz Old School Black Metal comp on Amazon.com... also I think You'll like the vocals on Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart more... for Bathory... as for Satyricon.. I only like their first 3 albums... someone told me Satyr the main songwriter of the band was only 16 when he wrote those songs... i was like wtf? :OMG:

Summoning, all the way. Nobody's been able to come anywere near what they have achieved in terms of atmospheric black metal (note, I consider Burzum ambient black metal).

Summoning, all the way. Nobody's been able to come anywere near what they have achieved in terms of atmospheric black metal (note, I consider Burzum ambient black metal).

I'm listening to the new Lost Tales 12" or ep, but I really like it. Superb stuff, and with my initial impressions and your comments, I'm downloading the rest! :worship:

I'm listening to the new Lost Tales 12" or ep, but I really like it. Superb stuff, and with my initial impressions and your comments, I'm downloading the rest! :worship:

Check out Nightshade Forests, the track that is.

Best BM compilations are the "Morbid Tunes Of The Black Angels".
First compilation is essential for all in black metal!

4xqljtd.jpg

there is "Century Black Summons... Fire starter" by Century Media which contain various good black (or blackish) metal bands (Emperor, Old mans child, satyricon, borknagar, arcturus, einherjer, rotting christ, ulver, samael, mayhem, tiamat, etc.)

I'll upload it on yousendit, so you can d/l it.

Best BM compilations are the "Morbid Tunes Of The Black Angels".
First compilation is essential for all in black metal!

4xqljtd.jpg

Looks good, are they avaliable on cd too?

there is "Century Black Summons... Fire starter" by Century Media which contain various good black (or blackish) metal bands (Emperor, Old mans child, satyricon, borknagar, arcturus, einherjer, rotting christ, ulver, samael, mayhem, tiamat, etc.)

I'll upload it on yousendit, so you can d/l it.

Oh excellent, that would be great! I usually only use torrents, and I haven't managed to find any of the comps mentioned in here, so that would be a great help. Thanks a lot!

I have been getting into metal quite a bit, and in particular black metal. I have tried several artists, but I thought the best way for me to discover new artists is maybe to try a few compilations, which are the best ones to try?

And also if any exist, I wouldn't mind a few folk metal compilations to try to.

Cheers :) I downloaded a few burzum tribute comps, but thats all I have now :lol:

Check out "Firestarter" compilation on Century Media.

All the obvious bands have no doubt been stated above but check out Spite Extreme Wing. One of my favorite black metal bands ever, they are more on the melodic side kinda like Dissection.