Good metal compilations

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
So what are some good metal compilations?

I have only 4:

Nativity in Black I
Masters of Misery: Earache Tribute to Black Sabbath
In Unison (Irish Metal comp)
ABMS: Norici Obscura Pars (Austrian Metal comp)

I'm curious about the Misanthopy and No Colours comps. ANyone heard 'em?

I used to own WAR Dance and WAR Vol I, but neither of these melo-death filled albums interested me.

I don't care if they are tributes, label samplers, or just a genre comp, what are some good ones.

I fnd comps are good ways to discover new bands.

Satanic slaughter - A tribute to Slayer vol 1.

Dissection
Hypocrisy
Merciless
At the Gates
Invocator
Enslaved
Edge of sanity
Seance
Cemetary
Crown of thorns
Grope

Holy Dio - A tribute to the voice of metal - Ronnie James Dio
Lots of gay power metal bands doing great Dio, Sabbath and Rainbow covers

A tribute to Judas Priest - Legends of metal - Vol 1&2

And since I love emo-DM ;)

War Comp vol 1.

NIB is my favorite, no question. I discovered half those bands with that album.

Most others I just use for samplers, and others don't really stand out to me (but aren't bad at all, like Hypocrisy's 10 Years of Chaos and Confusion).

Erik said:
Oh, just saw this.

http://www.royalcarnage.com/Reviews/erik/various/victory_rev.htm

At your service. (BTW: my review claims that the Abyssic Hate track is from "Medication" which I later found out was a filthy lie. It's from "Eternal Damnation", I think.)
Damn interesting review by the way, Erik, as is NADs reviews for the Uncorrupted Steel and The End samplers:

The End: http://www.royalcarnage.com/Reviews/nad/phases/phases_rev.htm

Uncorrupted Steel: http://www.royalcarnage.com/Reviews/nad/various%20artists/steel_rev.htm

I don't know why, but reading a summary of each band on a sampler CD is quite intriguing. Sometimes you find an unknown that might tickle your fancy.

That Phases sampler was pretty cool, lots of intriguing stuff. I only remember the Amon Amarth song from that Metal Blade thingy.

NAD said:
That Phases sampler was pretty cool, lots of intriguing stuff. I only remember the Amon Amarth song from that Metal Blade thingy.
The first Uncorrupted Steel had some Bolt Thrower on it. It was "7th Offensive" from Honor Valour Pride. Probably one of the few times where I've heard a track on a compilation only to order the actual album within an hour of hearing the track...

just curious. but does anyone still have that Code 666: Better Undead than Alive comp? i lost or traded mine away years ago. tell me if that exclusive negura track is any good...thanks.

just curious. but does anyone still have that Code 666: Better Undead than Alive comp? i lost or traded mine away years ago. tell me if that exclusive negura track is any good...thanks.

I have it somewhere. I'll dig it out and yousendit at some point.

I always liked the Crusades From The North compilation from Moonfog. The only other compilation I have is one from Neat Records which contains a bunch of great obscure singles from NWOBHM bands.