Good books to read

macc189

Sep 9, 2002
Macclesfield, UK
Damn fine books that ALL of you have to read before you die!!

Hell Bent For Leather (Diary of a heavy metal addict) by Seb Hunter

White Line Fever by Lemmy

Just finished the first one and I had to have a sit down! it virtually described my life to this point!

I like the sound of the first one! cool title!!
Ive never been a fan of lemmy or motorhead myself but i can imagine it would be an very interesting read nonetheless he's a very articulate guy lemmy!

Anyway thanks! im gonna look them up on amazon or somewhere to see if i can find out more about them !!!

Macc - nice idea this!

As I'm a writer and I love to read, I have to admit that I've not read many music-orietated stuff.
'Hell Bent For Leather' sounds great! I take it that you can still find it on places like Amazon and such?
Like Valanx, I'm not a huge Motorhead fan, but Lemmy is a bloke that intrigues me. I don't know which way to take him, you know? If I ever met him, I'm not sure whether I would find his deadpan delivery hilarious or very, very scary!
Like Valanx, I'm gonna check out some reviews and stuff on the internet.

The last music orientated book I read was 'Contents Under Pressure' - an insight into all the Rush albums and some tales about all the tours the did.
It was a nice idea and a nice read, but when you are quite a hardcore fan of the band, it does not really satisfy. I suppose this is the usual problem with this kind of book? But I'm sure that you could get more interesting material for the hard fans with a few decent interviews?

Anyhow, any other decent Rock music genre books out there?

macc189 said:
Damn fine books that ALL of you have to read before you die!!

Hell Bent For Leather (Diary of a heavy metal addict) by Seb Hunter

White Line Fever by Lemmy

Just finished the first one and I had to have a sit down! it virtually described my life to this point!
I have read both books. Hell Bent For Leather is a must. It's very funny and I think most people my age (25..........er OK 36) and who grew up with Heavy Metal in the 1980's will relate to it. Get it from Music Zone, it's only £3 in there, as oppose to a tenner in HMV.

White Line Fever is OK, but Lemmy plays it very safe, not wishing to slag anyone off.

I have just finished reading Stairway To Heaven by Richard Cole. A book about Led Zeppelin (funnily enough!). It is a good read, if you can get over Richard Cole thinking he was actually in the band! He was their tour manager, but reading the book you'd think he was the fifth member of Led Zeppelin! But a good read nevertheless.

Music Zone have got loads cheap books on music, bands etc. I have bought a shed load that I will be reading in the next few months. Books on Phil Lynott, Dave Lee Roth, Motley Crue, Syd Barrett, Peter Grant, to name a few.

Yeah cheers paxo! i saw the book in HMV the other day, i only had £50 so i got the Judas Priest 'Metalogy' :) ..... its a beautiful thing !

Now i guess that i will be paying Music Zone a visit, i love that place! cheap ass horror dvd heaven!! i love cheap ass horror......on dvd :loco:

Talking of cheap ass horror movies, keep an eye out for such classics as 'Trick or Treat', 'Class of Nuke em High', 'Braindead'(CLASS!!! I Kick ass for the Lord!!), 'Demons' (The one with 'Everybody Up' on it!), The Thing (Kurt Russell one), From Beyond, Re-Animator, Evil Dead 2 etc etc etc, could go on for ever with this but Im not as I'll only get cramp and anyway, Im sure everyone gets the jist.

Glad to hear that you liked 'Hell Bent For Leather' Pax, didnt it strike you as if the book was somehow analysing YOUR life? some of the similarities of my own were downright eerie!

Right, Im going to tread on very thin eggshells here, a mate of mine lent me a book which i really didnt want to read but accepted because he insisted that I simply HAD to read it, anyway, it lay around for a few days before, after being terminally bored by the latest paint drying technique, I reluctantly picked it up and scanned the first page, then sat down..... 6 hours later I'd finished it! A great read, even for a metalhead (trust me, I was as dubious as you are feeling right now too), the book is called (wait for it!!) Morrissey and Marr, The Severed Alliance, try it out if you dare, Im damn sure it wont make fans out of you but it does give a good insight into the creative process between lyricist and musician and the conflict of personalities both of which are constantly vying for the most attention/acclaim etc Its no holds barred and tells it like it is.

John Lydons Autobiography 'Rotten' is also a good read if you can track it down.

Personally I think Biff should write a book, theres got to be enough shit thats gone on through the years to make a 3 volume set by now!

Hell Yeah! Demons now thats a masterpiece of pure class horror, 'Everybody up' at the end where they are running away from all the demons in the city! its like a rock video in itself!!! and 'trick or treat' and 'The Thing' great films everyone should own! but as this thread is about books and not films il stop right about...Here!

Demons :headbang: awesome film!

Macc189 - Yeah you are right about Hell Bent For Leather. Man I could have wrote half that book myself!

nightwar - Yep Lemmy does play it safe in his book. He always starts saying something bad about someone, but then says "but he was a great bloke though".

As for Biff writing a book. I was thinking about this a little while ago. He should definitely do it, he must have lot's of great stories to tell. I think it would be a great read. Bring it on Biffo!