Good Bye My Friend

I met dave back in may when woods was playing in Worcester with Goddamn Zombie and novembers doom. He was a really nice guy. We talked about the new crowbar record, which he was disappointed in, and about woods 5, which he described as "definitely a winter record, but with some fall and spring moments, so you could think of it as one of those seasons. It is definitively not a summer record... But even then it does have some summer moments... You know what, just wait for it to come out and decide for yourself!"
He just seemed like such a good guy. I can't believe he's gone.

This is my first post here, but I felt that considering how much David's music has meant to me since discovering WOY, it was important to say something.

I only learned of WOY last March, but I have been immersed in their music ever since, In some way that I can't describe it has connected with me in a way no other band has in many years. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't play the Green Album - or any of their albums for that matter.

There is no words for the shock and sadness I felt yesterday when I heard what happened. I still can't believe I won't have a chance to see the band of meet David in the new year.

Thank you David. Your music means so much to me and I truly appreciate what you have left behind.

To his friends and family, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope that he touched many people trough his music can bring you even a little comfort. The band may not have sold thousands of albums or had a huge fan base, but for the people who listened, David's music was not taken for granted.

I posted this on my site last night.

http://www.heretodestroy.com/blog/2011/12/23/david-gold-1980-2011/

I, like the rest of us, am shocked and saddened by this tragedy. All my sympathies to his close family and friends. The world lost a true musician. Listening to the new album, it almost seems as if he knows his time is near without outright saying it. I suppose we will never know.

From Woods I to Woods 5, the mention of his homeland, the vast landscapes, driving on darkened roads, his words were his life. Not many artists can convey the introspective soul as David did. May he rest in peace, 'Buried In Mount Pleasant Cemetery'.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNPxP-MCHyQ&feature=related[/ame]

"One moment of silence, but not one moment more"...

love this song. Woods 5 is just awesome, but hard to listen to.
RIP

Popped by from time, but never posted. Don't really have anything to add here, but just kinda thought that Dave's family and friends should see how many people are affected by this, and that there are a lot of us who are saddened and shocked.

I met Dave here in Calgary the second to last time Woods played. We hung out for a bit, chatted music, and had a few laughs. Afterwards we passed a few emails back and forth. Great guy. Genuine...friendly...passionate...and certainly intelligent.

The world is not a better place today.

We have Dave's music. Albums that, through the years, have vividly encapsulated pieces of my life. How could they not? THose of us from Canada can't help but relate to the atmosphere and images he evoked.

Condolences to all affected. That includes the fans, but most importantly the family.

RIP David.

One last note...I tried the link to Woods 5 and it is not working. I can't think of a better way to honor Dave than what Earache has done. Class act. If anyone can help me get this music...it would be appreciated.

Curt

"Farewell my friend, you will be missed.
Lower the flags, a good man has past
He has reached the last of frontiers.
Lower the flags down to half mast
For again the world has taken a turn for the worse."

Last edited by a moderator:
A message from David's sister:

Daves fans and friends: I have had many heartfelt messages send my way about my brother and how he has impacted their lives . I appreciate each and everyone who has reached out to me. The celebration of Davids life and music will be in Sault Ste Marie, 1:00-6:00 at the Canadian Motor Inn. As i realize that many of you will not be able to attend, I found a way for each of you to be involved at his service. If you would like, please send me an e-mail at mariechristinegold@hotmail.com and please include your name, and a brief message on how David has impacted your life, a memory you shared together, quote, lyric that reminds you of him etc... If you have a photo together with him, send that as well. I will print this off and have it at David's party so everyone can be there in spirit. His family really likes reading these, and we would appreciate it.

I never met Dave but like most of you I chatted with him through emails and on this message board. I'll always remember him as being genuine, excitable and great to his fans. My thoughts go to his friends and family. Thanks Dave for all the great music you gave us and for taking the time to thank and get to know your fans.

This is the first time I've logged into my UM forum account in 2.5 years (mainly kept up to date with WoY stuff through Facebook) - don't know why, suppose I had to express thoughts similar to what other people have posted. Can't fucking believe it, just doesn't seem real. And the new album is brilliant, which makes this even the more difficult to take. Only had the pleasure of meeting David once at the Day Of The Equinox festival in 2005 but we kept in regular contact since, wish I had the opportunity to have a beer with him once more. Remarkable how someone you don't really even know properly can have such a huge effect.

Haven't logged on here in years; I have David on my facebook so that's how I got my Woods news.

Just have to say, like everyone else, I'm deeply saddened by David's passing. He was a completely genuine person. He loved his fans sincerely and really appreciated all the support. While I'm going to miss Woods of Ypres, I'm going to miss David even more.

Rest in Peace, brother.