Good, cheap overheads?

MatrixClaw

May 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Alright, I'm trying to get a decent set of mics together to mic a drum set so I can start recording other bands... However, I'm unsure what to get for overheads. I've heard Rode NT-5s are good, but they cost more than what I just paid for all the other mics I have for the set, combined :(

What I have right now:

4 Shure SM57s
1 Shure Beta52
1 Shure SM58
1 Shure Beta58
1 Sterling ST-79
1 MXL 990
1 MXL 991

All into a Presonus FirePod.

Are their any good overheads out there for <$250 for a pair (preferably less, if possible)?

I've heard the Octava mk012s are good, but it seems they're around the same price as the Rodes now... I've also heard Naiant mics are good, but it doesn't look like they sell the MSH1O anymore, which is the one I've seen is most recommended?

I can go used, I would actually prefer it, but I realize, many of these mics are hard to find used ;)

Don't compromise, you'll end up upgrading months down the line. I got C1000's and I'd heard great things about the Oktava's, I still want the Oktava's, and I'll get them. I got a D112 as it was cheap but the D6 is now ordered. If you want the Rodes or the Oktava's, get them. Save the monies and get them.

While I save up, are their any mics that I currently have that you think might be different?

I've been told to try the MXLs, but I just ordered my 3 SM57s and Beta52, so I can't try it out until they get here. I've tried single-micing my set once with just the ST-79 and it actually sounded pretty decent in a mix.

do i really have to say this again??!!!

if you want some great budget mics...

Samson C02 and behringer C2 pencil condensors, i beg to differ with anyone else who hasn't used them before

they are actually really nice mics for their price!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/369408/HLTC Drum Stem.mp3

Dang.

Those actually sound pretty good. More than good enough for what I'd need them for...

Do you prefer one over the other? The Behringers are cheaper, but also look cheaper :p

Anyone have any experience with MXL 603s?

I've used both the Rodes and Oktavas, and I'd go with the Rodes. I still have them. Also, they're nice on acoustic guitars and a number of other sources (guitar cabs, snare drums, I've multi-miced a bass cab with 'em on a friend's record...) as well. They are warmer than your typical inexpensive SDC.

For that price, perhaps MXL v67gs with the internal windscreen removed? A friend of mine got some and loves them after pulling the internal windscreen, but he's an indie/old-school punk/jazz/acoustic recordist, recorded with Albini years ago, so maybe not so much what the metal crowd would be into. He far prefers them to the NT1As FWIW.

I think I'm really leaning toward the MXL 603, Behringer C2, Samson CO2 or Karma K10s right now. I'd love to get some Oktavas or Rodes, but after hearing some clips of the first ones I mentioned, they're really more than good enough sounding for what I want right now.

I'm just mainly recording as a hobby, so the best quality isn't really needed, especially if it's going to break the bank. I'll definitely keep a look out for the higher priced mics still, but unless I find them cheap on eBay or something - they're out of the equation for now.

Anyone tried the first 4 any have any comparisons?

you also might want to check out the crown cm700. you can find em used alot of times for like $100 each. I actually like them better for oh's than my sm 81's

Really? I have a matched pair and think they sound..weird. It has too much mid range..it is just weird. Not good for OHs. I a dying to sell them and buy Oktavas instead.

Buy the oktava's. Check out my myspace/homepage. Everything is recorded with the oktava's. With a good preamp and room they will sound really high end

I would, if I could afford them. They are $500 a matched pair.

I'm not getting paid enough for recording to justify $500 on 2 mics that I myself will rarely use :p If I were doing a lot recording on my drums at home, I would definitely consider it, but usually I just program my drums and run it through SSD and DFH.

I would, if I could afford them. They are $500 a matched pair.
Srsly? They are 300 EUR here on thomann. Could it be? A piece of audio gear that's actually cheaper in the EU? :lol:

Anyways. The Rodes have more attack and have a brittle sound to them which is kinda cool when you're micing acoustic guitars. I've found the oktavas to be more "mellow" sounding. They really tie the drumkit together on overheads and they handle EQ way better then the Rodes

The words "good" and "cheap" do not fit well together in the audio world, save up and get the oktavas, that way when you start getting more business you won't have to upgrade

As they say "good products aren't cheap, cheap products aren't good" etc

I was going to say that as well, get something worthwhile now so you don't have to try and sell the cheap mics later to come up with more money for the good ones later :) If you decide to quit audio the decent mics will bring a better return anyway if you go to sell them.