Good "indie" music

Actually, speaking of indie, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is one of the best movies I've seen in quite awhile. Very indie, very well-written, very enjoyable.

it was ok. ive definitely seen tons of better movies this year alone.

Indie (i.e. Independent) doesn't mean shit anymore. It hasn't for about 15 years. Once bands like Nirvana and Green Day topped the charts and signed with big labels, Indie as it was commonly known was dead. Shit, metal is the closest thing to indie right now.

Now when someone says Indie, I think of a certain sound.

Bands off the top of my head
Ghostland Observatory (probably the best "indie" band going right now IMO)
Quasi
LCD Soundsystem
Cat Power
Drive-By Truckers
The Decemberists
The Raconteurs
Belle & Sebastian

Old school real indie bands
Hüsker Dü
Pixies
Yo La Tengo (still around and still making great music)
Sonic Youth
Jesus And Mary Chain
Velvet Underground (reeeeaaaal old school)
Minutemen
R.E.M.

Indie (i.e. Independent) doesn't mean shit anymore. It hasn't for about 15 years. Once bands like Nirvana and Green Day topped the charts and signed with big labels, Indie as it was commonly known was dead. Shit, metal is the closest thing to indie right now.

Now when someone says Indie, I think of a certain sound.

Bands off the top of my head
Ghostland Observatory (probably the best "indie" band going right now IMO)
Quasi
LCD Soundsystem
Cat Power
Drive-By Truckers
The Decemberists
The Raconteurs
Belle & Sebastian

Old school real indie bands
Hüsker Dü
Pixies
Yo La Tengo (still around and still making great music)
Sonic Youth
Jesus And Mary Chain
Velvet Underground (reeeeaaaal old school)
Minutemen
R.E.M.

Nice list. Agree with all of it, though Ghostland Observatory didn't do that much for me.

I assume true indie - is very different to the mainstream shite under the same name dominating my country's charts.... I hate it, for me its is the scurge of music, guys coming together writing really basic "power chorded" songs.. with vocals that are basically speaking in their english accents - only redeeming feature, is that it has guys playing using proper instruments, not some gay pop band or turntables..... :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :erk:

Does anybody else listen to Andrew Bird? He's a singer-songwriter guy who whistles and plays a bunch of instruments. Most of his stuff sounds pretty much the same, but I find him to be a fantastic songwriter. And lots of hipsters are on his dick.

^
The only thing I've heard of his was a song he did in the Coachella film that came out a couple years ago. Impressed. Thought he sounded like a young Paul Westerfield.

Does anybody else listen to Andrew Bird? He's a singer-songwriter guy who whistles and plays a bunch of instruments. Most of his stuff sounds pretty much the same, but I find him to be a fantastic songwriter. And lots of hipsters are on his dick.

I bought Armchair Apocrypha for my boyfriend last Christmas....it was quite good I thought. Sometimes he reminds me a little of Jeff Buckley...at certain moments.

pure reason revolution
kasabian
the vines

I also like the danceable stuff like Arctic Monkeys, Kooks, We are scientists, and all that "shit", there's too much to list it