Good "indie" music

Midlake
Motorpsycho

Although...not too sure if "indie" applies to them...more like they use elements of indie. Or whatever. I wouldn't really know where to put them anyway.

Interpol i've been enjoying quite a lot recently. Also someone recommended Editors to me and initial listens are somewhat positive. I can't see myself ever becoming a big indie fan though, so much of it is unfortunately horribly watered down pop tripe that's barely above boybands in the musical worthiness stakes. I bought Arcade Fire's Neon Bible on tons of people's recommendation and was hugely disappointed, so I don't think a lot of this stuff is my cup of tea. I think I might be getting too old or something, but I grew up during the days when grunge bands with actual riffs ruled the airwaves. Those were the days!

I am of course referring to Indie as in the music genre, not bands on indie labels which is ridiculous because you could mean anything from a jazz to a black metal band surely!

Interpol i've been enjoying quite a lot recently. Also someone recommended Editors to me and initial listens are somewhat positive. I can't see myself ever becoming a big indie fan though, so much of it is unfortunately horribly watered down pop tripe that's barely above boybands in the musical worthiness stakes. I bought Arcade Fire's Neon Bible on tons of people's recommendation and was hugely disappointed, so I don't think a lot of this stuff is my cup of tea. I think I might be getting too old or something, but I grew up during the days when grunge bands with actual riffs ruled the airwaves. Those were the days!

I am of course referring to Indie as in the music genre, not bands on indie labels which is ridiculous because you could mean anything from a jazz to a black metal band surely!

arcade fire rulez(neon bible best indie album of all time)

yeah dude the vocalist from cryptopsy is way more talented than the vocalist from ghostland observatory for sure

"Indie" is quite a broad term; I find many of the current so-called "indie" bands to be repugnant; notably Deerhunter and TV on the Radio, the latter of which has released three or four excellent songs and a great strew of other ones ranging from mediocre to terrible. Lord knows how they receive so much fandom. Anyhow, if Animal Collective could be considered "indie" anymore, I would cast my theoretical vote for them as they surely make every other band of that sort seem weak in comparison.

afaict
Indie means singing breathily and playing instruments slightly out of tune
thats all i hear on the college radio anyway.