Good interface w/ amazing preamps 200-300$? Suggestions Needed.

Aug 16, 2011
www.youtube.com
Hey guys,

I want to buy a new audio interface. I usually don't record too many stuff at the same time, so two mic preamps would be just fine. I will be recording a lot of vocals and miced guitars, so I want some high quality preamps. I was considering the Focusrite Saffire 14, but I also want to know about other suggestions as well. So if you have any good suggestion, write it down here please!
Thanks, :devil:.

-Diego.

Unfortunately, 'amazing' doesn't really happen in that price range, not until you triple it...per channel of preamplification. 'Adequate' does happen though, and there's probably nothing more adequate than the saffire in your price range.

No stock pres are going to be that great unless you go with that new UA unit. Best you'll get is something like Apogee, but it's all pretty much just different flavors of 'meh.'

This. The RME and apogee stuff is better is better than the lower end stuff but none of it's great and honestly I doubt the UA's will be anything special either b/c at one rack unit you have to expect the same i/c designs b/c of space and heat.
Your goal in an interface should be the best converters you can afford and useable pre's.

This. The RME and apogee stuff is better is better than the lower end stuff but none of it's great and honestly I doubt the UA's will be anything special either b/c at one rack unit you have to expect the same i/c designs b/c of space and heat.
Your goal in an interface should be the best converters you can afford and useable pre's.

Give some examples bro :)!

a·maz·ing
adjective
causing great surprise or sudden wonder.

Why would a "good interface" exist with "amazing preamps"? An amazing interface with amazing preamps doesn't even exist. Maybe you can find an amazing interface with good preamps, but it's going to cost you a down payment on a nice car. $300 tops is going to buy a mediocre interface at best. But judging by the way you approach the question, it's not going to make a big enough difference for you to discern any noticeable sonic differences between a $200 unit and a $2000 unit - and certainly not in an untreated home studio with prosumer monitors.

Like an idiot, I paid $750 for a 2-channel RME interface. Turns out that even at $375 per channel - it's not giving me great surprise or sudden wonder in comparison to cheaper interfaces with more channels. It's perfectly usable and slightly better, but very "meh" as Jeff put it.

The best advice you can take is - find an interface that is going to cooperate with your computer to give you less problems to deal with.