good metal blogs

Cythraul

Dec 10, 2003
In this thread we share metal blogs that we think are good. You can even pimp your own blog itt if you want. I have been on the lookout lately for thoughtful blogs about metal music. Lately I've gotten tired of the whole "Slayer sucks"/"no, Slayer rules, bro" sort of thing that prevails on metal forums, and I am just plain bored of ANUS and its intellectual stagnation. Like anything in life, there are only a select few truly great, valuable contributors within the blog medium. My favorite so far that I've found is one called "Poetry of Subculture" by some Greek metalhead who also does comics and whatnot. The guy has a lot of insightful things to say about heavy metal, its cultural significance, its meaning, and his own personal experience with it. For the most part it's his reflections on 100 metal albums that he considers to be the best of the genre. His blog is not fancy in terms of its layout and visuals, but that doesn't matter. I encourage all of you who give a crap about reflecting on what you listen to and why you like it to check it out:

http://poetry-of-subculture.blogspot.com/

You might also enjoy the blog "Documents" which has a bunch of entries about black metal. It's pretty interesting for the most part, but I find myself at times disagreeing with this fellow's intellectual approach (I think he intellectualizes certain things that are simpler and more mundane than he wants them to be.) You can view it here: http://surrealdocuments.blogspot.com/

The aforementioned blog appears to be inactive at this point, by the way.

Okay, share blogs that you think are good.

I don't really read blogs very much, but the title immediately made me think of another with some contributions from the same author, Illogical Contraption. At the moment there seems to be a very high picture/video to text ratio, but there's definitely good stuff in there, a great interview with Mike Scalzi being one of them.

Should've mentioned IC. That's another one I follow. They're a bit more laid back than what I usually look for, but their posts are pretty hilarious sometimes, and they share good music.

Those blogs are news to me, and they appear to be excellent. I look forward to checking them out over the next few days.

http://aversesefira.blogspot.com/

Wrath gets a tad bit lofty at times, but there's a lot of really good stuff there I can identify with that often reaffirms my love for metal when I'm having a crisis of faith. The entries from the 2008 Immolation/Rotting Christ tour in particular always make me want to drop out of school and tour.

I was going to link Tom G. Warrior's blog, but I'm going through it again and the posts that aren't just pictures of him with other personalities are just him giving grandiose accounts of what it looks like outside his window and relating it to whatever happened to be going on in his life at that point in time.

Sempiternal Esoterica

This dude uploads a lot of awesome old death metal/black metal demos and rehs that would otherwise probably never see the light of day. I highly recommend the Visceral Evisceration/As I Lay Dying (Aut) rehs and tapes.

The Heretic's Torch obviously. But my focus has shifted to hardcopy so the blog is largely neglected for now. I've been meaning to put more work into it in the near future.

The guy who runs Poetry of Subculture is a bit overbearing and defines his criticism too much by his own experiences in my opinion, though I agree it's a worthwhile read. I don't read any blogs on a consistent basis though.

I remember reading one called "Crushing Black Sorcery" a while back. Wasn't bad. Had links to the music and such as well as some reviews.

Damn. Not only did someone beat me to slam minded, the guy who runs it posted! crap. well, thirding it! so there! it's pretty much great btw. most comprehensive brutal death site I know of.

The best one I'm aware of that fits your description would be http://www.fromthedustreturned.com, though, to be honest, I find the emphasis to be more on quantity than quality. Yet still, autothrall's reviews are better than most, if only because of such low standards.