Good metal kicks

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
So I've been getting a little fed up with the sound of the Slate kicks on metal material, as they always seem to have that plasticky, clack sound that doesn't quite lend itself all that well to the music many of us do. At the very least it always has that recognizable Slate sound about it, and I'd like to get away from it somewhat.

Are there any really good metal kick samples flying about on the net? This is mostly for projects where I can't coax a decent kick out of the kit myself.

I'm talking about kicks like the ones on Gojira's 'The Way of All Flesh' and KSE's 'End of Heartache'. Typical metal kick - nice, tight bottom and a clicky high. Most of the popular packs, rips and whatever I already have, but I'm mostly just after QUALITY samples, not just 'here's everything, sort through it'.

Hey dude, there's like a pack of 32 artist kicks thats been posted here heaps.

I've blended a few and got some shit hot sounds, maybe try them?

Hey dude, there's like a pack of 32 artist kicks thats been posted here heaps.

I've blended a few and got some shit hot sounds, maybe try them?

Got those man! Only like 1 or 2 fit the bill, and even then it's mostly for blending.

I'd love some more complete kicks, as I'm trying to put together a 'best of' folder for easy access when mixing on the fly.

@Zombietakeover: ? Growth and change is a natural part of one's progress through this business.

You can't get better if you aren't finding faults with things, and ways to improve them...

You'll find most really good engineers are always looking to improve...probably more so than guys who are really mediocre like me. Sneap himself even said he has to wait like 6 months after he mixes something before he can listen to it, because it is just frustrating.

I say we make this thread into a Massive collection of "best of" kick sample :D

Im also looking to make a go to folder with epic kick samples.

If anyone has a kick that sounds ANYTHING like that Gojira kick, PLEASE hook us up. That is probably the most bad-ass kick I've ever heard...

I'd pay the full price of SSD for that kick alone.

Bobby

Your only real solution to this is going to be:

Making your own samples

and/or

a shit ton of experimentation w/blending!

The more 'metal' kicks in SSD do have that weird, plasticky attack that you can spot a mile away, I agree. BUT, you should try blending some of the not so metal kicks together w/a sample that has a nice, clean transient.

The Kontakt player is very good for this, as you can control the ADSR of the samples AND room samples independently to get the right mix between Slate and whatever other sample you want to blend in.

Unfortunately, we don't have many other companies releasing QUALITY drum samples (hi-fidelity, good gear chains, multi-sample, etc).

There is no easy answer for this, unfortunately! =D

Do you prefer multisamples for kicks? I have some I've made from blending a variety of kick samples and miked kicks from sessions that I kinda like, but they are single samples (If I need more variety I'll choose different settings in aptrigga).

Do you prefer multisamples for kicks? I have some I've made from blending a variety of kick samples and miked kicks from sessions that I kinda like, but they are single samples (If I need more variety I'll choose different settings in aptrigga).

Up em Nate. I would like to check them out.