Good meter to read RMS and Peak levels corretly

Shaun Werle

Dec 30, 2009
Brodheadsville PA
Hey guys just looking to see what you're using to measure your RMS levels.
I am using the BF essential noise meter in PT (I think..) to measure my RMS levels, but i can get my mix at -10 ,but it sounds low in volume compared to some other mixes. well some... So idk if the mixes i am comparing it to are like -8 RMS and that is making the difference or what. But what are some good ways to measure my levels or get them to that level. I just have feeling the PT one is inaccurate.

So straight to the original question, How do you guys figure your overall mix is loud enough, and what are some plug ins or something to monitor this?

Thanks

I'm using Voxengo Span which is free. It reads accurately in real time.

A lot of things affect the ability to achieve loudness. What tools you are using and the amount of sonic energy being wasted on mud(perhaps some that may not be audible on some monitoring systems) are the biggest factors I believe.

There are basically two types of meters that are used to measure digital peak and average level. One is the AES17 standard that measures a sine wave at full scale and the other is the more popular ones that measures a square wave at full scale.

There's a 3 dB difference between the two.

The TT meter already mentioned is aes 17. http://www.pleasurizemusic.com/tt-dynamic-range-meter-mac-available-now I think the free ssl x-ism http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/x-ism/index.asp is as well but don't quote me on that.

If something is reading -8 dBFS on these meters it's -11 dBFS on a conventional meter.

RMS Numbers don't really tell you all that much when it comes to perceived loudness. You can have two songs reading the exact same numbers with one sounding conceivably and perceivably louder than the other.

There are basically two types of meters that are used to measure digital peak and average level. One is the AES17 standard that measures a sine wave at full scale and the other is the more popular ones that measures a square wave at full scale.

There's a 3 dB difference between the two.

The TT meter already mentioned is aes 17. http://www.pleasurizemusic.com/tt-dynamic-range-meter-mac-available-now I think the free ssl x-ism http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/x-ism/index.asp is as well but don't quote me on that.

If something is reading -8 dBFS on these meters it's -11 dBFS on a conventional meter.

RMS Numbers don't really tell you all that much when it comes to perceived loudness. You can have two songs reading the exact same numbers with one sounding conceivably and perceivably louder than the other.

so what factors go into making a mix sound loud like another mix, having a good balanced between frequencies? Just curious to see what to make sure i am staying a way from when mixing, So i achieve the best results when mastering

I'm using Voxengo Span which is free. It reads accurately in real time.

A lot of things affect the ability to achieve loudness. What tools you are using and the amount of sonic energy being wasted on mud(perhaps some that may not be audible on some monitoring systems) are the biggest factors I believe.

If you could go into to a little more depth on the sonic energy thing you were saying i would appreciate it man! ;)

Free you say :D

Link haha
Links are in post #4 and: http://www.brainworx-music.de/en/download

so what factors go into making a mix sound loud like another mix, having a good balanced between frequencies? Just curious to see what to make sure i am staying a way from when mixing, So i achieve the best results when mastering

Imo, everything add up starting with the arrangement, performance, production, recording, mix, sonic balance, dynamic impact, transient punch, gain staging, definition, space, etc. I don't think there's one definitive answer on how to get your mix to translate to loud and clean. Maybe start with a monitoring system that you trust. MIX A LOT. Learn new techniques (there's tons mentioned on this board and others) Learn from your mistakes... 2 cents.

If you could go into to a little more depth on the sonic energy thing you were saying i would appreciate it man! ;)

What I meant was if something was captured poorly it can make the meter read higher while the actual song is quiet.

Example:
An amp modeler could be putting out frequencies that are lower than what an amp would put out and poor monitoring conditions might not reveal it. You could read the meter and it would say -10, but the song could be quiet because the high reading is from boomy noise. It's the same with any other component. Any one thing that isn't right can throw you off. Equipment or an untreated room won't reveal the problem and will leave you blind(more like deaf) and scratching your head.

In short:
A balanced mix and good sounds are crucial to getting loud recordings.

A good monitoring system makes you or breaks you every step of the way.