Good news, in a way.

ledmag

New Metal Member
Aug 31, 2001
Kentucky
Visit site
Its good cause its about Cathedral, in a way, becouse, they went to the left of DOOM, But read on, you will see, it may be a great cd anyway

ENJOY

Cathedral
The VIIth Coming
Dream Catcher
by Nathan Pearce

Once again Cathedral has decided to create confusion with the doom loving masses. After returning to their roots with the release of the massive ‘Endtyme’, Cathedral has taken a sharp left turn into the land of the groove. ‘The VIIth Coming’ is somewhat reminiscent of ‘The Ethereal Mirror’, but not as strange and progressive as say ‘Caravan Beyond Redemption’ or ‘Supernatural’. It takes a mostly serious approach to the monster riffs and grooves for which Cathedral has become so famous.

If ‘Endtyme’ was Cathedral’s darkest, most grim release since their debut, ‘The VIIth Coming’ would have to be their catchiest, down right grooviest release to date. Many will probably complain about the lack of grim atmosphere that made ‘Endtyme’ so great, but I caution you not to overlook ‘The VIIth Coming’. In the world of Sabbath inspired riffs and grooves, Cathedral dominates with an unheard of originality.

Album opener “Phoenix Rising” immediately catches the listener. Lee Dorian’s vocals once again prove that metal doesn’t have to be dominated by anger and hatred to create that all-important foot-stomping, head-banging atmosphere we all love so much. Cathedral even pulls back to jangle out a few acoustic guitar passages. Every song is distinct and complete.

Overall, ‘The VIIth Coming’ is a much more up-beat and driving release than I expected. However, this is actually a great surprise. Fortunately Cathedral has decided to maintain the serious attitude of ‘Endtyme’, while combining it with the trippy grooves of most of their mid to late 90’s releases, rather than falling back on the strange attitude of that era’s offerings. ‘The VIIth Coming’ is simply fun and addictive.

thanks for posting that review ledmag, I havent actually bothered to look up any reviews of the cd myself, but after reading that, I feel inclined to give it a listen.

The only Cathedral I've listened to is "The Carnival Bizarre," and that was only briefly years ago. I wasn't into much metal at the time, so I thought it sucked. Nowadays it looks like they could be to my liking. I may still have a copy on tape somewhere... which other Cathedral albums do you all think I should check out to start getting into them?

Originally posted by Chromatose
thanks for posting that review ledmag, I havent actually bothered to look up any reviews of the cd myself, but after reading that, I feel inclined to give it a listen.

The only Cathedral I've listened to is "The Carnival Bizarre," and that was only briefly years ago. I wasn't into much metal at the time, so I thought it sucked. Nowadays it looks like they could be to my liking. I may still have a copy on tape somewhere... which other Cathedral albums do you all think I should check out to start getting into them?

I have everything by them, but the newie, even the radio promos and everything.

I would say fo ryou to go with ENDTYME first. Man, it is so fucking good, and morbid at times. CHeck the lyrics on that one. Actually, the lyrics in my sig is from MELONCHOLY EMPORER. Goo dstuff.

IMO, the carnival bizzar, carivan beyond redemption, and supernatural birth machine, i think those are the worst. But i still like them.

After you check ENDTYME, go for the double re-issue of 2 cd's on one. STATIC MAJIK/SOUL SACRIFICE....supurb stuff.

Enjoy, and good luck

HEMI>>>You fucker. hahahahha COngrates man,

Like ledmag said, Endtyme is probably their best, at least I think so. I also like Soul Sacrifice, Ethereal Mirror, and Carnival Bizarre. Forests of Equilibrum was bit to "Slow" for me. Can"t wait to hear the new one.

ledmag >> do post me some of their lyrics, on my e-mail, your favorite ones... and any tricky-doomy lyrics you like, for my "Achromatic Dreams" collection. even entire songs, which in this case are poems. thanks. :)

Originally posted by Karmic
LEDMAG>> i stiil havent found that thread you were supposed to put up about COC

Sorry, i forgot. After practice, ill do it. Thaks for teh reminder.

To ALL>>>If i offer you something, and you dont get it, it means i forgot. SO please remind me. hahahahha.

Originally posted by Tee
ledmag >> do post me some of their lyrics, on my e-mail, your favorite ones... and any tricky-doomy lyrics you like, for my "Achromatic Dreams" collection. even entire songs, which in this case are poems. thanks. :)

Sure will. Give me some time, and it will be done.

Electric Wizard for the most part is about drugs, but they do have some good ones, like THE DEVILS CONCUBINE.

Ill hook up with some very TWISTED ass lyrics as well,. The band would be TEETH OF LIONS RULE THE DEVINE. Very twisted sick ass shit.

have you heard HIGH ON FIRE? Great band. Violent lyrics.

Originally posted by Karmic
you forget quite alot of things, dont you? :p
maybe its senility at an early stage?

I would say its due to me being spastic at times. hahahaha.

I ahve a really good memory actually. But i talk with so many ppl on line, and in the real world, and im always mailing stuff to ppl, and getting stuff back in the mail...........you know.

I remember reading about high on fire somewhere, they were supposed to make Iommi look sad or something

RP>>Well, i read that as well,. In a mag, and on the wraper of their second cd. ITS A LIE. I lile the band, but dude, they are not that good ahhajahhha.

put it this way. Its not your normal music. Its not your normal doom. Its weird music. NOthing like BG, Nevrmore, IE, etc. BUt even whith the big spill on them being better than IOMMIE, it still didnt ruin the cd once i found it to be a lie.
You may not like this sort of sound though. ITs very simple and rudamentary(spell). A bit less on production etc. BUt IMO, its good stuff.

RP>>Yes, its doom, but not a super clean voice. Its grumbly, and in a tunnel. And the riffs are more simple. A lot of their songs sound stampedeing elephants by th ethousdands hahahha.

They are fans of gory barbaric type stuff.........like me.

Cathedral, when they do doom, its not a super high clean vox either. They tune their waaaaaaaay down. ANd Lee is a very weird voxxer to say the least.

Going to practice now. Later dude.

Originally posted by ledmag
have you heard HIGH ON FIRE? Great band. Violent lyrics.

nope. :(
I have a confession to make. :rolleyes: I'm stagnating in the field of music for some 10 years almost, I only educate myself in Nevermore, MDB and SA. Sick, right? (Now metalized brought like... ummm... zillion CD's with him, unfortunatelly I don't like anything almost, LOL, I grew up on death - metal). I am like that, always stubborn with what I want to pull through, my plan. Only this and nothing more. All thanks to my "adult woman life" (read: cleaning, cooking, going to work, not having time for anything) and character... Bah...

Originally posted by Tee
nope. :(
I have a confession to make. :rolleyes: I'm stagnating in the field of music for some 10 years almost, I only educate myself in Nevermore, MDB and SA. Sick, right? (Now metalized brought like... ummm... zillion CD's with him, unfortunatelly I don't like anything almost, LOL, I grew up on death - metal).
Yeah, for instance lonewolf are too soft. And other bands. But INXS are ok. Or HIM even. Hmmm... :loco: