good solos for practising

Floyd

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
does anyone know some good but not so difficult (meaning especially not so fast) solos that are good for practising?
I'm not asking for the easiest solos in the world of course, because the point is that I want to improve ;)

Well, you can go to www.guitartricks.com. There, you can find solos from specific guitar shredders, solos from a lot of different styles, with audio files. Even, there is an "easy" section.

Also in www.guitarworld.com you have lesson given by great and known guitarists. (Petrucci, Zakk Wylde, B.B. King, Darrell, KirK, etc)

Good luck!!! :)

A good advice is The sleep by Pantera. Its got its slow parts and fast parts. And it so fucking cool. I have actually never really managed the slow parts, the vibratos and shit. It doesnt sound like dimebag when i play it. It rather sounds like Kerry King if he would of tried it;) .

Corrosion Of Conformity's Blind and Deliverence albums were a huge eye opener for me. These two albums were a great tool to practice to. Also Cathedrals The Ethereal Mirror and Kyuss Blues For The Red Sun, Sky Valley and And The Circus Leaves Town. All these albums have great, well crafted songs and leads that just leave me covered in goose bumps everytime I play them.

if you can play any one song off the "Follow the Reaper" CD by COB, I'd say you're doin pretty good. Also, the song "Paradigm Shift" by the Liquid Tension Experiment (yeah, Petrucci) is very complicated and fast, but very learnable

Originally posted by dimensionidol
your own solos!

:D

i totally agree. just start playin and let it rip. you will increase the difficulty as you become bored with the earlier stuff youve created.
~gR~

I like playing my own stuff and yes you do come up with your own stuff and make it harder as you get better. But also learning other people's solo is a very good lesson in discipline.

I mean learn old solos first, like Bloack Sabbath, Iron Maiden, early Judas Priest. That stuff tends to be pretty easy. Also Randy Rhoades solos are really good for improvimg one's skill. Then get into harder stuff like Dream Theater, Stratovarius, Symphony X. You could also check out some stuff by Fusion Jazz players cause that is crazy stuff, like Al DiMeola.

genocide roach said:
i totally agree. just start playin and let it rip. you will increase the difficulty as you become bored with the earlier stuff youve created.
~gR~

the first solo I learned the one of "go down" by ACDC. It's a good start.
for reeeeeeaaal slow solos try nirvana(if you like:zombie:)
else:
john fruciante, almost all solos are easy
and try metallica-nothing else matters , it's a bit harder but very short

Thank you all, I'll have to try all that stuff :)
btw: I think I found another pretty cool and not TOO hard solo. little problem: there is no tab for it ;) (I'm not too good in tabbing such stuff). could anyone help me out with the solo of Final Breath - Killed By Lust
If you don't know the song (or the band) contact me on ICQ (161299582) or e-mail me (stefan.hallis@clan-wolverine.net)
thanks in advance :)

what about Amon Amarth? They seem to have relatively easy solos, too, what do you think?
Does anyone have tabs for their new Album Versus The World?

I don't know how you define "difficult." My favorite guitarist is Wolff Hoffmann formerly of Accept. The solos on Metal Heart and Russian Roulette are incredible. Of course some are quite difficult for me, and some aren't too bad, but I think the reason I like him so much is because he is one of the few guitarists that can play a blues based solo and a classical based solo and just a kick-ass heavy metal solo all......... in one solo. He can fuses blues, classical and a bombastic metal only style at the same time. He can play with feeling and with technical prowess. I can play some of his stuff, but I have rarely been able to match his better solos.

Bryant

Go to http://www.powertabs.net (get Power Tab if you dont already have it) then download the Al Di Meola tab - Egyptian Danza. Its definately good fun to play. Some of the note groupings are odd and so a little difficult to get your head round at first but good fun none the less :)

Enjoy!