Question to COB and the musisicians on the board about practising

Just a quick question. Did everyone in here take lessons at one point or another, or are there people in here that are entirely self-taught? I've been playing bass a year now, and I've taught myself. I want to work myself into guitar sometime soon, but I don't know if I should take lessons.

I had piano lessons when I was real little(like 5 or 6), then moved onto guitar around 12-17, and around 13 I picked up the drums as well. Had some jazz drumming lessons(school jazz band), where I also joined in on guitar(took in some official guitar lessons for about a year.) Had about a year of music theory in high school. Not to mention the clarinet lessons. :D After ALL of that, I said screw it with the lessons and just taught myself everything after that; started to go more toward drums than guitar...then made the biggest mistake of my life(let's say this involves letting people talk me into college instead of continuing to persue music) and it's all I can do to get back into practice with anything again. They say it's like riding a bike; but I dunno, it's taking me a LONG time to get back to where I was.

I think the different lessons helped a lot; I also started giving lessons in high school(on guitar) for awhile. This also helped; sometimes even teaching can make you learn.

I'm 26 now though; I just hope I'm not too old to remember everything. Sadly most of the music theory has gone out the door, replaced with "that book learnin'", but I think I can become somewhat of the musician I was. Any tips from all you fellows?

\m/Jason\m/ said:
Cool

Dammn, I'm a lucky Bastard!! I just found out there playing @Dynamo too
I've seen COB in Hardenberg on april 26th '03!! It was most beautiful day of my life
(Got the playlist from that gig hanging on the wall in my bedroom so I can think of think of that particulair evening when I'm felling asleep) ...and now I'm going to see them for the second time @ Dynamo Open Air and for the 3th time @ Wacken!!!

\M/ DYNAMO=SLAYER, DIMMU, COB egt awsome ik ga ook heb al kaartje gekocht :D:D:D maar eerst aankomende zondag naar ARCH ENEMY!!!!!!!!met ZYKLON

I took a few lessons from a self-taught drummer, but I learned a lot on my own too. I practice whatever I feel like; with the band, it's like 2-4 hours, on my own, maybe about an hour and a half on average. Air drumming just seems to happen a lot too, it really helps.

i would be playing about an hour a day (though i dont accomplish anything productive) except my guitar is fried

When I really want to gain some productive skill in a day, I tend to play for about 6 hours or so... I find myself signifigantly better after a long practice like that. Sadly I do not have the time to do that every day.

Gotta add this one . For some time now I have been playing like about 2 hours per day , because I am composing some new stuff , and because my V - amp 2's power adaptor is broken , I haven't been playing so much . I just don't like this valvestate piece of junk anymore : It's farting some it's own noises and stuff . Oh well , guess I have to buy a new amp . ( I think I will buy Marshall JCM 900 and a 2x12 cabin , or a Marshall AVT 2000 and a 2x12 cabin ) :D

Well I have pracitced like 6 hours a day before woke up played eat practice etc! mainly my practice is just random improvisation , I dont really learn other peoples songs , I prefer to learn scales and practice solos etc ( I play keys by the way) Normally like i get an 1-3 hours of playing a day

ive been playing keyboard since i was 6 so thats 8 years and i practice about 30 minutes a day. Drums ive been playin for 5 years thats my main thing along wiht violin which i am just starting i play those about an hour to 2 hours a day depending on my schedule. i play bass once in a while becuase it is always good understand the instrument that the drums are mostly interacting with