solos

opacity

Sep 17, 2001
[lower austria]
why are solos so important to you?
i'd really like to get some good answers.

and i'm asking this question here in the skyfire-forum because the issue is most acute here (imo).

why does skyfire need fucking solos.

they're able and brilliant enough to leave those out - 3 albums have proven that: tons of cool riffings, good music around those - who needs solos, dammit.

:Smug:

Skyfire already have solo's.. if you listen to every song they are full of kind of solo type things.. i dont think they NEED to do over the top 2minute solos or anything.. i like the music the way it is

Because solos are a part of the music where the dissonance and building elements of the song can come together and sort of provide a 'release' for the listener: with a lot of buildup behind them, they can carry a lot of power, especially when it's really melodic and the guitarist just lets it rip (Therion guys do this a lot - as do Kalmah). That sort of soloing gives its own special pleasure to me.

And i think it would be really cool to hear that sort of thing in a skyfire song!

skyfire are "famous" for complex, melodic rhythmguitarwork. that's like solos already, as was said above. - when solos become a standard element in each of the songs, the whole skyfire-thing will turn into "one great band", but lose the extraordinary aspect, i fear.

gadlor, all you said about dissonance, and power and build-up etc - all true, but it takes more creativity and ear to do a perfect whole than a perfect solo.
(alright alright, you can say, I'm not a musician myself, and what do I know about making music :rolleyes: but if even I - a simple consumer - can hear the difference, then it may make you ponder)

and because Kalmah &Therion do what they do, doesn't necessarily mean skyfire has to do as well :err:
no offence meant, Gandlor! ; ) you know that I like Kalmah as well.