Peter appreciation thread.... and other thoughts...

Mirrored Ghost

midst a dreaming affinity
Aug 7, 2004
I'm going to start off by posting a couple quotes from the "Beneath the Mire Solo" thread....

BurningSky said:
Just out to bash peter solos whenever possible, eh Moonie!?!

Moonlapse said:
Haha, I'm not naming names any more. They're all just faceless solos to me now and shall be judged on their own merit, regardless of who played them. Having said that, I still think the last solo is more detrimental to the song than anything else.

That came from here...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225387

Let me preface this by saying that I am not here to cause debate. I have been a member here for a while now and have browsed the forums ever since. My intentions are only good.

To respond to BurningSky.... That seems like to be the case. And now, I'm not the only one noticing it either. Someone here starts a thread that commends Peter's work and the first person to come in to put a damper on it is, once again, Moonlapse.

To respond to Moonlapse.... you might as well name names at this point because most people here will already know who you are referring to. In this case... Peter. You have, not too long ago, written a review on GR on this very message board and used the same adjective to describe Peter's solo in Beneath the Mire. You also went on in that review by saying negative things about his overall contributions towards that album. I'm not going to quote you on what you said on the second thing because I don't like putting words in people's mouths and I prefer to be accurate. However, I do know that it wasn't at all complimentary in any way shape or form and you did compliment all the other band member's contributions towards that album.

One thing I will quote you on, however, is your use of the word "detrimental" when describing Peter's solo in this particular song. Now, I do realize that you understand what that word means but I feel a need to be specific. It means "obviously harmful and damaging". Do you really feel that his solo damages the song?? I'm sorry, but I find that rather extreme. Let me explain but before I do I would like to point out that I too was a moderator on a major band's message board and have learned through experience some basic moderator "etiquette"...

While I do agree that a moderator should be able to express his/her opinions on the band's work (solos included), I also think that there should be some sort of "discretion" and overall tact when it comes to having an extreme negative opinion on the same. Why?? Because, in a way, you as the moderator represent this board by keeping it in order with regards to topics, fighting, etc etc. People here, mostly new fans, will look up to your posts and possibly take your advice/opinions and whatnot seriously. And in my sincere opinion, I find your comments to be possibly "detrimental" to a band member because if I had a nickel for every time I saw you make a negative comment re: Peter, I would need a bigger piggy bank.

So yes, I do agree that you should be able to speak your mind but do you really feel a need to post that negative comment towards his soloing practically every time his solos are brought up?? And if you do feel that need, must you be so harsh?? There are many ways to express oneself and I just think that since this is the band's official message board and that you are the moderator here that you should practice some refrainment (at times). Because at this point, you are being redundant which leads me to wonder... why??

Allow me to get back on topic and say that I do agree with that thread starter (which I posted above) and think that Peter's solo in Beneath the Mire is excellent and I also enjoy all his other solos in previous albums as well.

I would also like to say that I saw Opeth last month at Webster Hall in NYC and thought Peter's solos totally rocked and I hope to see him do more at the next concert I will be attending. The entire band rocked.

Like I said, I am not trying to cause an argument but the only reason why I started a new topic on this is because I saw way too many times negative statements re: Peter's solos coming from the moderator. I feel it's time to give Peter the recognition he deserves. Also, Moonlapse, you exercised your freedom of speach with regards to Peter's solos/contribution so now I would like that same opportunity to express mine and also point out that I disagree with how you are handling your opinions on him.

So, let this thread be a way to for us to express how we enjoy Peter rather than argue about it.

Thank you. ; )

affinityband said:
Im a pretty die-hard Opeth fan. But the fact you put so much thought into one part of the song. Thats just plain odd.

I was not the one who put that amount of thought into one part of the song. The thread starter (Benighted1) of the link I provided did and I am commenting on what transpired afterwards.

Not really about Peter, just arguing with the mod. Peetuh roolz

Wow, a thread that simultaneously focuses in on one person and semi-attacks them for expressing their viewpoint and then goes on to ask that we ONLY elevate Peter in this thread and not debate about him, thereby removing any chance for said person to present a rebuttal. Genius.

Why the hell should the moderator be a 'yes man'? He earned his right to BE the goddamn moderator by expressing himself honestly and presenting his viewpoints in a fair and honest manner and not swaying into either extreme of "Opeth is God. There is only Opeth. All other bands pale in comparison. Other bands cannot eat the food that Opeth buys for their pets," or "Opeth is shit. Opeth got killed at Sounds of the Underground by Lamb of God. Wankers" You see the balance? So he doesn't like Peter's playing quite as much. OH NO. You devoted a ridiculous amount of space to it. Do you walk around the house wringing your hands in desperation because Moonlapse doesn't care for one element of the band that he has spent years praising for their other accomplishments?

There is nothing wrong with preferring one solo over another. It's how the thought is conveyed/expressed by the mod. Detrimental is a harsh word.... especially when used on the same band member more than once. I don't see anything damaging about that solo. Maybe not to one's taste, fine, but not damaging.

Is my post really all that draw dropping?? :OMG:

The attack was unfair. But I don't blame you for starting this thread. Peter deserves some praise.

I disagree with how you are handling your opinions on him.
bwahaha...a person can "handle" their opinions how ever they want to.

Edit - yeah, I fail to see how anyone can think that solo takes away from the song
...ok, I give up.

PeeWee1473 said:
Wow, a thread that simultaneously focuses in on one person and semi-attacks them for expressing their viewpoint and then goes on to ask that we ONLY elevate Peter in this thread and not debate about him, thereby removing any chance for said person to present a rebuttal. Genius.

Why the hell should the moderator be a 'yes man'? He earned his right to BE the goddamn moderator by expressing himself honestly and presenting his viewpoints in a fair and honest manner and not swaying into either extreme of "Opeth is God. There is only Opeth. All other bands pale in comparison. Other bands cannot eat the food that Opeth buys for their pets," or "Opeth is shit. Opeth got killed at Sounds of the Underground by Lamb of God. Wankers" You see the balance? So he doesn't like Peter's playing quite as much. OH NO. You devoted a ridiculous amount of space to it. Do you walk around the house wringing your hands in desperation because Moonlapse doesn't care for one element of the band that he has spent years praising for their other accomplishments?

You are way too defensive and obviously didn't get my post. Never said he should be a "yes" man. You seem very angry as well and I will not continue to respond to posts like this.

However,

Just so you know, I have spoken to Moonlapse in the past about this and he was not defensive at all. He responded in kind. As well, I think he is overall a fine mod... he does a good job with forum clean up as well as other things.... keeping posts/threads/comments in order. I'm just the type of person to speak my mind when I see something that bothers me. This has been going on for a while now and that is why I am commenting on it. That is all what this is about.... besides appreciating Peter that is.

I went out on a limb by posting all this. I do realize that some people might take me the wrong way (that I'm attacking) but I'm not. If I was, I would be cursing and saying bad things about a person's character. Which once again, I am not because there is absolutely no reason to do that. Hopefully, some people will read my entire post and get what I'm trying to say.

Braighs said:
The attack was unfair. But I don't blame you for starting this thread. Peter deserves some praise.

bwahaha...a person can "handle" their opinions how ever they want to.

Edit - yeah, I fail to see how anyone can think that solo takes away from the song
...ok, I give up.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Haha, i didn't even read your post because if you're basing it on the exchange moonlapse and I had it's worthless. I was just joking around completely about the whole matter. I love peter and his solos.

Mirrored Ghost said:
There is nothing wrong with preferring one solo over another. It's how the thought is conveyed/expressed by the mod. Detrimental is a harsh word.... especially when used on the same band member more than once. I don't see anything damaging about that solo. Maybe not to one's taste, fine, but not damaging.

Is my post really all that draw dropping?? :OMG:
Jaw =/= Draw

blimey said:
Jaw =/= Draw

lol. Thanks for the correction. I tend to do that sometimes. :D

@ BurningSky, whether you were joking or not, it doesn't negate my overall point. ; )