Hey Peter (lawl)

botfly: jeffs solos are never slow nor done with soul... they are always fast and done in somekind of particular scale he follows very fast... and then he has all kinds of petrucci/malmsteen/romeo like instruction videos showing just how awesomely fast he can play... sure his solos are fun to listen to...but they are nothing near opeth solos... i also agree that Mikael is a bit more creative than Peter it seems (or maybe peter just needs to make more material).
but one thing i have noticed when seeing opeth live is that Mikael always does a couple smaller fuckups (wich is humaine) but peter never does any fuckups....not very amateurish... i mean, i think i´m a good guitarist...but i wouldn´t be able to pull off a 2 hour set without making one fuckup.
it takes creativity and musicality to find good melodies and rythms, as good as peter anyway.
but here we chat about how soloing makes a good guitarist....it takes a lot more than soloing to be a good guitarist... all guitarists don´t even like solos.

^ well I never saw 'em live (it'll change soon, mwa-ha-ha ) but judging from the videos I've seen (not Lamentations which probably was slightly improved in the studio) it seems Peter also makes some fuck-ups from time to time... but for me, if they're not often, fuck-ups add to the atmosphere of a live performance... I know some bands who never fuck up and most sound like they're pushing play/stop all the time... kind of takes something away...

The one time I saw Opeth live Mike did everything flawlessly, but Peter seriously fucked up a solo in I think White Cluster, but it could be a different song. It was on a gig in Zoetermeer "De boerderij" in Holland last year.

Knowing that they screw up from time to time, allows you to know they are actually performing live. Unlike many mainstream acts, they just lipsynce and act like they are playing the guitar.