Peter appreciation thread.... and other thoughts...

It feels stale and monotonous, you know, having to constrain every aspect of one's posting out of fear of people who take things seriously (of which there is a lot of around the net) not to associate your opinion with some sort of ill-wishes towards the band, or disregard for the band's reputation or whatnot.

I never said in my post that you must be constrained. I said that a mod should practice some sort of discretion when it comes to over criticizing a member of a band. I thought I was clear on that.

The quote that was up there is just that. I don't like the solo. Period. I'm not blaming anybody - I don't like the solo. I think the song is fantastic, that the first two solos are great, but I don't like the last one. That's all there is to it.

If that is all there is to it, I never would have made this thread. You have said once again that the solo is detrimental to the song.

I have no idea how that opinion can be construed as damaging at all to Opeth.

Just like I have no idea how that solo can be construed as damaging to the song!! Your own words, mind you. I am not the only one here questioning you on that either. Go to Beneath the Mire thread and see that the thread starter asks you the same thing that I am. Some people in this thread as well.

I mean, what do you all care what I think? I sure as hell hope Opeth don't care what I think.

I think it has been proven (by Mikael's post the other day) that the band does care what we think. Remember when he got upset when someone here trashed Hours of Wealth?? He was not happy.

Moonlapse, no one here said for you to sugarcoat anything. I really wish you would put your defensive attitude aside and try to understand that I am NOT arguing with you but rather trying to communicate on how I feel on the subject.

I noted the word 'redundancy'. I'm 'redundant' in voicing my very positive opinion about GR as a whole. I'm also very 'redundant' about voicing my total love for Still Life but.... why doesn't that get a thread?

If you noticed, I might not have made a new thread, but I did point out that you are overall a good mod.

There is nothing specially 'redundant' about this particular topic aside from the thread author's fixation on it.

If you want to call it fixated fine. But then I would have to call your Peter comments fixated as well.

There really is no malice in what I've said, and next time, I'd hope that I'd get contacted privately about any qualms people have with my posting habbits, prior for it being posted on the entire forum, for all to see.

If that is what you prefer, I have no problem contacting you privately. However, I see no harm in what I did because I came here and made this thread in a calm manner, I did not call you any names and I did not say anything disrespectful to you at all. I feel that if you have the freedom of speach where you can post your criticisms re: Peter here in multiple threads, then I can comment to you about it in public as well. If I was in any way nasty to you, then I could understand why you would say this to me.

I pretty much said everything I wanted to say so I shall not be redundant by keeping up with this thread. It's a shame that you had to get so offended by it. I'm not here to have a tit for tat with you either. I'm not about message board fighting as you will see very soon. I simply felt passionate about something and I wanted to express myself.

Thank you.

The reason I have to get defensive is because when my ideas or actions on this board come into disrepute, either through someone citing certain aspects, or complaining about them, the pressure gets put on the Opeth camp to kick me out. We went through a long and arduous process last time and it only worked out by a hair's length. I don't want to waste Anna's time like that again, and I'd much preffer if the community here didn't have to go back to voting another guy in. However, they are perfectly free to do that, if they wish, at any time.

When it comes to something like this, where I didn't actually post any more in regards to that solo even after the thread author asked me about it (I decided to 'drop' the subject, I didn't really want to take it further. I didn't like the solo and that was all.) I'd much have preffered, if people were still concerned about whatever, to contact me in private and tell me that they have qualms, or that they see my opinion as being derogatory towards Peter, since this thread was very much about things I said. It could quite easily have been directed right at me, and I would've welcomed that.

There really is no malice in what I said, nor was I trying to get a cheapshot in sideways at anyone in the band. I love the band. I just don't like that solo, is all.

I do appreciate your concern, and I respect your views. Don't think in being defensive I'm angry or spiteful toward you. You're well within your right to post something like this. I'd just have preffered if it was posted directly to me.

im sure this must have been a very forced smile: :tickled:

ermin7su.jpg

Wow, I've never seen such a huge deal made about one man's opinion (except for mike's opinions). All moonlapse said was that the last solo doesn't add anything to the song, unlike the other two solos in it. I can't believe you would take this kind of stuff so seriously, Mirrored ghost. Do expect that because he is mod, moonlapse should comment without conviction?
"I never said in my post that you must be constrained. I said that a mod should practice some sort of discretion when it comes to over criticizing a member of a band."

Discretion is constraining, especially if you are being so sensitive about what is being said. He has every right to say that peter blows cheese, if thats what he feels. Just like you have every right to say peter is amazing. You may want to loosen up a bit, because taking one person's opinions to heart as much as you have isn't gonna pay off in the long run on this forum.

Moonlapse said:
The reason I have to get defensive is because when my ideas or actions on this board come into disrepute, either through someone citing certain aspects, or complaining about them, the pressure gets put on the Opeth camp to kick me out. We went through a long and arduous process last time and it only worked out by a hair's length. I don't want to waste Anna's time like that again, and I'd much preffer if the community here didn't have to go back to voting another guy in. However, they are perfectly free to do that, if they wish, at any time.

When it comes to something like this, where I didn't actually post any more in regards to that solo even after the thread author asked me about it (I decided to 'drop' the subject, I didn't really want to take it further. I didn't like the solo and that was all.) I'd much have preffered, if people were still concerned about whatever, to contact me in private and tell me that they have qualms, or that they see my opinion as being derogatory towards Peter, since this thread was very much about things I said. It could quite easily have been directed right at me, and I would've welcomed that.

There really is no malice in what I said, nor was I trying to get a cheapshot in sideways at anyone in the band. I love the band. I just don't like that solo, is all.

I do appreciate your concern, and I respect your views. Don't think in being defensive I'm angry or spiteful toward you. You're well within your right to post something like this. I'd just have preffered if it was posted directly to me.

I have read every word you said and unfortuntely I must disagree... with your new comments as well. I will not comment on them though because like I said.... it would be a tit for tat at that point and I'm not interested in that.

So, we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I had my say and that's all.

My next posts should be about the concert coming up. cheers.

I was the thread starter for the thread in question, and I don't see any reason why Moonlapse can't state his opinion on it, I respect his opinion even if I don't agree with it. Just because he said he doesn't like a certain solo, it shouldn't jepordise his status as moderator.. how rediculous!!!!

...although I would like to hear what his reasoning was for not liking it, just purely out of interest.

Moonlapse said:
Alright guys, I think that's enough. What I'll do is create a thread for everyone to plug their unofficial 'off-topic' forums on. Put all your links in there.
I'm pretty sure theres only 1, Moony.

PEAC EOUT

Benighted1 said:
I was the thread starter for the thread in question, and I don't see any reason why Moonlapse can't state his opinion on it, I respect his opinion even if I don't agree with it. Just because he said he doesn't like a certain solo, it should jepordise his status as moderator.. how rediculous!!!!

...although I would like to hear what his reasoning was for not liking it, just purely out of interest.

Yeah, sure, I'll PM it to you in a bit.

hehehehe, moonlapse and the thread starter got to the accreditation he noobed!!!! This is ridiculous... With these kind of posts you can't blame us more talking about ...hmm... chicken... yeah...

worldwide_suicide said:
hehehehe, moonlapse and the thread starter got to the accreditation he noobed!!!! This is ridiculous... With these kind of posts you can't blame us more talking about ...hmm... chicken... yeah...

and again making sense this time please

I actually enjoyed reading this thread... I'm not going to add my 10 cents worth because either way, I'll get flamed. It's just good to see 2 people considerably more intelligent than I am having a good argument, instead of the usual crap we see on this forum.