Solo Differentiation

A. Iverson

deceased
Jul 17, 2005
Bahrain
Just wondering how is it posssible to distinguish between mikael an peters solos?? when i watch them live i always seem to enjoy peter's more and i think ive beeen able to pinpoint that unique factor that makes Peter's solos more outstanding than Mikes. Correct me if im wrong, but as far as i know, the only solo on ghost reveries that i think is Peters is the second one in Beneath the Mire. i also know that he does the first one in deliverance , the one near the end of Masters Apprenticesn and the second half of the main solo in Forset of October, because ive seen him play them live...

So a question for those who have seen him in numerous live situations,,, what other solos has he played (esp on ghost reveries)..?

i think you are right about the second solo in btm being peter's...(i think, although i don't remember exactly at the time)....my favorite solo on GR is mike's solo (the first one) in that song...i love the way it ends.

You're right about the 2nd solo in Beneath the Mire being Peter's. I think it's the only one of his solos on the whole album.

He has a ton of them on the older records. Him and Mike do a lot of trade-offs on The Funeral Portrait, White Cluster etc.

The Beneath The Mire solo sounds like him, but i prefer the unison with the keyboards.. that's just such a brilliant solo. I can't exactly explain it, but i can usually guess which solos are Mike's and Peter's - Mike seems to be more speedy with a lot of bursts whilst Peter's seem to go along at a generally steady pace.

Yeah, you're right on there. Mike tends to use more exotic combinations of notes as well. He has rhythmic pacing, and makes the notes he plays count, whereas Peter is usually doing straight runs and arpeggios.

wow i cant believe it. I was about to post a thread on the same thing!! I was thinking about it the other day. I realized these things about Peter and Mikael's soloing techniques:

a) Mike's soloing is based HEAVILY on the blues scale. A lot of bends and pull offs/hammer ons, that kind of thing.

b) Peter's soloing is more neo-classical like. More string skipping arpeggios like Moonlapes said above me. Mike usually does not use a neo-classical type approach in his soloing anymore (he did in the first few albums). And peter barely uses any blues scale patterns.

Considering these things, i've been able to pin point who is doing what solo pretty well on the newer albums. You are right about the second solo in BtM being Peter. From what i've read/heard, it is also Peter's ONLY solo on GR. Apparently, he just didnt care to do solos on the album. Peter also does i believe the last solo in A Fair Judgement. I can't tell so much in the first couple of albums because at that time Mike didnt really use too much blues-influenced patterns.

I think it's possible to differentiate. Mike's sound alot smoother to me, more legato and the like. I'd prefer Mike's solos, but Peter is still great, especially on the earlier stuff.

Actually, 2:50 in Baying of the Hounds sounds like a Peter solo. It's right after the clean line "You are everything/They are nothing." i'd be real surprised if that's Mike playing that line.

JoeVice said:
i think you are right about the second solo in btm being peter's...(i think, although i don't remember exactly at the time)....my favorite solo on GR is mike's solo (the first one) in that song...i love the way it ends.

actually, i take that back...i was thinking of a different solo....imo, peter's is the third solo in this song...i think mike does the first two....the second one is my favorite....i does have kind of a peter vibe two it....but, it is also mike-like....the third one has peter all over it.

JoeVice said:
actually, i take that back...i was thinking of a different solo....imo, peter's is the third solo in this song...i think mike does the first two....the second one is my favorite....i does have kind of a peter vibe two it....but, it is also mike-like....the third one has peter all over it.

ohhh yeah i just remembered about the 2nd solo (the one in the middle). yeah that sounds really mik-ish. What i meant about about Peter's was the one near the end, just before the last riff

A. Iverson said:
ohhh yeah i just remembered about the 2nd solo (the one in the middle). yeah that sounds really mik-ish. What i meant about about Peter's was the one near the end, just before the last riff

yah, i forgot there were 3 until i heard it again last night...(thanks to this discussion) i don't really like the one at the end...i'm not a huge fan of peter's soloing...i think its kind of dry.