Hey Peter (lawl)

ufomagnet said:
And he has NO music theory education whatsoever. I didn't imply that Opeth is writing music by jamming, but your statement about using you eleet university skillz is just stupid since that doesn't mean shit really. You still suck, they don't.

lol nice cop out

I've come to the conclusion that maybe 1% of this entire forum's population has any fucking idea what exactly jamming is adn they're just throwing the word out there to sound like they're "musicians" stfu and consult a dictionary.

Main Entry: jam session
Function: noun
Etymology: 2jam
: an often impromptu performance by a group especially of jazz musicians that is characterized by improvisation

There is little to no improvising involved in the majority of any Metal Bands song-writing or rehearsal techniques. The onlything that ever usually gets improvised is guitar solos.

the_drip said:
no i'm not wrong jamming is gay. I prefer using 4 years of college level music theory/composition to write songs over sitting in a rehearsal room and farting around for 6 hours. Metal bands that "jam" fail..IE: Hatebreed, Korn, Black Label Society...etc.

the_drip said:
I've come to the conclusion that maybe 1% of this entire forum's population has any fucking idea what exactly jamming is adn they're just throwing the word out there to sound like they're "musicians" stfu and consult a dictionary.

Main Entry: jam session
Function: noun
Etymology: 2jam
: an often impromptu performance by a group especially of jazz musicians that is characterized by improvisation

There is little to no improvising involved in the majority of any Metal Bands song-writing or rehearsal techniques. The onlything that ever usually gets improvised is guitar solos.

lol @ saying Korn or Hatebreed 'jam' and then saying nobody knows what the word means :rolleyes:

and, however you name it, writing music is always about improvisation... and further polishing of the prior idea of course, but it doesn't come out of nowhere...

:Wreath: said:
lol @ saying Korn or Hatebreed 'jam' and then saying nobody knows what the word means :rolleyes:

and, however you name it, writing music is always about improvisation... and further polishing of the prior idea of course, but it doesn't come out of nowhere...

lol you kno wwhat I mean when I say hatebreed "jams" They go to their rehearsal space ...stand around and make a bunch of fucking noise until they have some semblance of a song made up...the end product results in monotonous chugging riffs. tons of bands do this and it almost always ends up sounding simplistic and/or retarded.

regarding what I do....meh I just have a more classicly styled way of writing often times I don't even have the instrument in my hands when I write something down (yeah I actually write the music omg). also, tinkering and dickign off with a guitar is NOT jamming. and as for my leet skills shockign the world...

....all in due time pumpkin.

all_sins_undone said:
if you're even hinting at the idea that success is obtained by selling lots of albums, plz die in a fire.

nah, I'm saying failing is not accomplishing your goals. With the Korn and Hatebreed being mentioned above, I could only guess that thier goal is to capitalize on thier fanbase and try to get rich off releasing multiple sub-par albums. In this respect they didn't fail. If they had come out and said "We're going to release some amazing music that will blow away anything put out in the past 20 years" then yes, they most definately fail.

the_drip said:
lol you kno wwhat I mean when I say hatebreed "jams" They go to their rehearsal space ...stand around and make a bunch of fucking noise until they have some semblance of a song made up...the end product results in monotonous chugging riffs. tons of bands do this and it almost always ends up sounding simplistic and/or retarded.

regarding what I do....meh I just have a more classicly styled way of writing often times I don't even have the instrument in my hands when I write something down (yeah I actually write the music omg). also, tinkering and dickign off with a guitar is NOT jamming. and as for my leet skills shockign the world...

....all in due time pumpkin.

hah well ok, I know what you mean with the Hatebreed jams... In my pasttime band I used to be the main composer but we also had some songs composed during such rehearsal jams... after some time we all agreed that it's better when I bring the complete songs and than some bits can be changed during rehearsals because the jam songs were simply generic crap, like you said simplistic and retarded :lol:

and tinkering with a guitar may not be jamming, but it's still kind of improvising right? :loco:

ViCyniC said:
I prefer Opeth's music to any of your's amateur shit music. :)

opethorly2.jpg

Alteredmindeath said:
Not just solos, I want to hear some Riffs by him too, and that would do Opeth some good.

indeed. I"m pretty sure all the most pwnaging done on Orchid was because of Peter's flawless compositional skillz. :worship:

then one day Mike was just like, "Peter...quit writing such godly music..I want ppl to liken me to jesus."

and Peter said, "Then it is so, I bestow upon you, Mike A sole writing credits from this day forth..in exchange for your soul."

Botfly said:
lol, I don't understand. You start off by basically saying you're unsure of what makes for good bends or pinches or bad bends or pinches. Jeff loomis >>>> Mikael & Peter btw.

lol, and then you finally say anyone who can't play good after 15 years is basically "screwed." So your accepting he's not a good guitar player, but he's a still a genius?

I don't understand.

Peter's not a good solist, it's all the same speed of random different notes, how amazing. It's doesn't have memorable parts or any soul, (pinches weak, bends are boring and not very good..)

Akerfeldt >>>> Lindgren

lol, I was really drunk when I wrote this.

Point is 1) Opeth songs are relatively simplistic (not denying they're really good though), so I reckon Peter fits the bill. But he's just a decent guitar player then, nothing more. It doesn't take a genius to play the "right" notes (pretty much just basic note/chord theory in his case). It's also pathetic that he's played guitar for 15 years and does bends and pinches like a beginner or novice.

look, I dislike inane shredding wank just as much as the next guy, but if you can't play with "soul" nor are you capable of shredding decently you're not a good guitar player. If you think about it, Peter's solo's are basically if shredding were to have down syndrome.

lol, and pull your head out of your ass, loomis is capable of alot more than just "playing really fast" unlike Romeo, Angelo, Malmsteen etc...