Hey Mike, about them metal-solos

L0bster

OneTwo!
Feb 28, 2002
Stockholm
Visit site
Around the release of Watershed, Mikael has been talkin abit about his and Åkessons different solo-styles, Åkesson being the one doing fast/metal-type solos from now on, while Mike will focus on slower stuff with feeling.

This of course makes sense, but I would like to point out that Mike has a great style in faster/more metal solos as well, I think mainly due to not being that schooled, making his style unique, also not being able to play as fast as Åkesson demands more from the actually melodies in the solos.

Don't get me wrong, Fredriks soloing is awsome, same goes for mikes slow stuff, but I think some metal-type Mike solos like the ones in Leper Affinity, The Grand Conjuration, Masters Apprentice and a lot of older stuff would definately be something I'd be looking forward to in Opeth songs to come.

I think Mike has enough to worry about, with writing pretty much everything, plus if he were to make the metal solo's too then Fredrik would have absolutely nothing to do or to contribute, but that riff in porcelain heart.

i think akessons lead playing has lots of feeling and sounds great, i like him more than peter

what are you basing that on? the leads fred plays are written by mike, the only things we've heard from fred are the opening riff of porcelain heart and the solo in HA.

What about Hessian Peel? That's a pretty great solo. Fredrik is awesome, 'cause he sounds so different to Mike, unlike Peter who sounded the same.

What about Hessian Peel? That's a pretty great solo. Fredrik is awesome, 'cause he sounds so different to Mike, unlike Peter who sounded the same.

Surely not? Petes sweeping scales are a far cry from mike blues driven solos are they not? Fredrik is a shredder by trade, simple as that and i think it'll be the next album before we see any type of 'Fredrik style' materealize

what are you basing that on? the leads fred plays are written by mike, the only things we've heard from fred are the opening riff of porcelain heart and the solo in HA.

fred is a better player i think, more skill and seems more comfortable playing. ive never seen (or very rarely) seen peter do anything fast but fred handles the faster opeth leads nicely

Surely not? Petes sweeping scales are a far cry from mike blues driven solos are they not? Fredrik is a shredder by trade, simple as that and i think it'll be the next album before we see any type of 'Fredrik style' materealize

ive seen a few videos and peter doesnt sweep those arpeggios, he just picks them individually. in fact alot of the 'sweep' bits are so slow that you dont need to bother sweeping at all, you can just pick them separately

i cant explain it but it seems to me like fredrik has an ease and smoothness when he is on the fretboard, and in the watershed dvd he shows a little flair i dunno how to explain it

Erm.. Where do you get that info from? Sounds really stupid, of course Åkesson writes his own solos.

i thought mike wrote them too? or at least the basis of the solo? he said in the watershed dvd

he says it in the watershed dvd at about 31minutes. he says something like 'i played everything on there, on the original recording' he then goes on to say that they split it up afterwards 'in the studio'

ah then that changes everything

disregard everything i have said this thread

so, does he mean he played the riff and then akesson improvised over it? cuz he said he played the riff a few times and then akesson played his solo

Åkerfeldt writes almost all the riffs and arangements at home. Then they probably pick spots where they want to put a solo and writes a solo.

i personally thought ur old avatar was much more handsome, but apparantly everyone else thinks it sucks

thanks for the info

i think akessons lead playing has lots of feeling and sounds great

I agree with you, for the most part.

Take "Burden", for example. Fred has the last solo, and it's the most emotional solo of the song.

He already fits the band pretty well, but I think he'll be even more comfortable on the next record (same with Axe, but that's a different topic).

And I agree that Mike should still play 'metal solos' every now and then. His solo on "The Leper Affinity" is sooo awesome.

In most of the places I thought Peter was sweeping, when I watched it live (and in some studio diary videos) I was really surprised to see him picking everything.

The most obvious one is the Deliverance solo Peter does. He never sweeps in that solo, picks every note separately.

When Peter is playing it looks like he's trying really hard not to miss a note. Eventually, he doesn't miss them indeed but Mike and Fred are so much more comfortable while playing.