Mike for the Shredder award?

Yeah promise that your lack of modesty is made for fun. My ass. So you were asking for sources that you are not a better guitarist. Let's just clarify one little thing before going any further : I never said you weren't, I just supposed it to force you to proove me the opposite. So there we go, I have no sources, but, just like me, you also don't. All I was suggesting is that you show us your mighty progress.

My, you are fun. I have settled the matter with Mikael fucking Akerfeldt but you still go for long posts to "prove" that I'm not a good guitar player. I don't know what makes you so upset, you're acting as if I've claimed your mother is a prostitute or something and you're trying to disprove THAT, not that a random guy you met on the internet is a better guitar player than he was a year ago. I couldn't care less about what you think of my playing. My point was not that I'm a super guitarist, but that it doesn't take a super guitarist to reproduce Opeth solos which means ITS ABSURD FOR MIKAEL TO BE NOMINATED WHICH IS THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD, and Mikael accepted that of course, so I'm done. I don't know why you still strive to be owned so much, but here you go:

"stop pretending you are way better than this today."

Pretend: to claim that or act as if something is different from what it actually is

So you say I am pretending which means you already know I am not a better guitarist but I act as if I am. Which makes you a presumptuous idiot. Go away.

^ Not necessarily.

Pretension = claim something, to make believe. Otherwise, you "pretend" that you are better but show no proof, so it is not necessarily true (well I'm quite sure you have gained experience, but enough to equal Mikael? I doubt so). Last thing : don't blame me for making long replies when you're doing it as well and don't tell me to not argue with you since we're on a forum (like you previously said) and since you are completly wrong. You also strive. And I know what your main goal was, but we're not even talking about that and you know it... and I agree that he shouldn't be nominated : everyone does! Grrah and I never wanted to prove that you're not a "good" guitarist, just wanted you to realize your lack of modesty.

You should check again that definition of "pretend", by the way. Lol! I'm reading my last reply and realize how much you didn't get anything out of it, nothing essential. Ridiculous. And what the fuck is that thing about my mother being a prostitute? Irrelevant. Anyway, seems like I made it long... can't wait to see your next reply, cya.

In Canada I assume you don't get to speak English much... Fortunately here in Turkey everyone speaks perfect English and nobody speaks Turkish so it's understandable that I'm now teaching you the meaning of a very common word: "Pretending" means you are actually "lying", not just claiming; here you are, glad to be of help, moron:

Wiktionary

"to pretend (third-person singular simple present pretends, present participle pretending, simple past and past participle pretended)

1. to claim that or act as if something is different from what it actually is "

Cambridge:

"verb
1. to behave as if something is true when you know that it is not,"

Reference Dictionary:

"verb (used with object)
1. to cause or attempt to cause (what is not so) to seem so"

Prétendre = Pretend, it's the same thing in French, and if you look at other definitions (sure, yours are right), you also find...

- "to appear falsely, as to deceive."
Notice the word appear, so it's possibly true or false.

- to make believe.
In other words, you make us believe that you are better without any proofs.

- to make pretensions.
That's you.

To pretend is to say that something is possibly true or false without necessarily demonstrating it. It means that there's a lot to doubt about it. That's exactly what you did, but again, I'm sure you can show us that your statements are not biased.

Whatever if you speak that so-called "perfect" English, you can also be wrong on the exact meaning of some words. And since it's the same word in French, you have no authority on its definition. Oh and I prefer when people say I'm from Quebec, since the rest (most) of Canada is English.

Enough.

- "to appear falsely, as to deceive."
Notice the word appear, so it's possibly true or false.

- to make believe.
In other words, you make us believe that you are better without any proofs.

- to make pretensions.
That's you.
d.

Whatever if you speak that so-called "perfect" English, you can also be wrong on the exact meaning of some words. And since it's the same word in French, you have no authority on its definition. Oh and I prefer when people say I'm from Quebec, since the rest (most) of Canada is English.

Enough.

I don't give a shit about French because we are talking in English, and I have demonstrated from various English authoritative sources that pretending means lying.

I really doubt your ability to speak English now. "to appear falsely, as to deceive." They used the word "appear" because it is FALSE. And I could have sworn "deceiving" involves lying.

And - oh, fuck, what did you say about "make believe"?? "you make us believe you are better..." ahaha. I can't believe I have to explain you this, but make believe in all cases involves IMAGINATION, which in all cases involves INCORRECTNESS and LYING. Maybe I should charge you for English tutoring.

^^ It's not lying. It's between lying and telling the truth. It's seen as false, but it can possibly be true. Anyway, keep your silly definition, now at least you know what I meant with this word. Don't reply, go die.

Internet_argument.jpg

I don't give a shit about French because we are talking in English, and I have demonstrated from various English authoritative sources that pretending means lying.

I really doubt your ability to speak English now. "to appear falsely, as to deceive." They used the word "appear" because it is FALSE. And I could have sworn "deceiving" involves lying.

And - oh, fuck, what did you say about "make believe"?? "you make us believe you are better..." ahaha. I can't believe I have to explain you this, but make believe in all cases involves IMAGINATION, which in all cases involves INCORRECTNESS and LYING. Maybe I should charge you for English tutoring.

When an actor is playing a character he/she is pretending to be someone else.
He/she is not lying about being someone else.

According to my calculations, within two more days of active discussion, someone in this argument will resort to referencing the holocaust or world war 2

It's a selection put together by Metal Hammer... what do you expect? Common sense? Background? Haha...

Mike is surely one of the most unique players in metal/rock nowadays, just because you could spot his playing and sound among millions of copycats. His phrasing is just awesome...

But voting for the best shredder out of that selection? How could you not vote for Alex Skolnick? Perfect balance between insane chops and memorable phrasing.

------

They really should have included Fredrik. He's one of the most underrated lead players metal's got to offer these days... It's incredible how he's been blending into the Opeth sound while keeping his trademarks. That really surprised me...

just vote for mike and get the band well deserved recognition and publicity ffs. doesnt matter that mike may not be a shredder, the band should be better recognised for the fucking amazing shit they pull off.