Peter appreciation thread.... and other thoughts...

Mirrored Ghost said:
Is my post really all that draw dropping?? :OMG:

Well, it certainly is an original thread! :tickled:
But yes, wow. You have very strong opinions on the subject, whereas a lot of people would have just let it go, or not even thought about it... or something!

vampyrouss said:
Well, it certainly is an original thread! :tickled:
But yes, wow. You have very strong opinions on the subject, whereas a lot of people would have just let it go, or not even thought about it... or something!

Yes, "or something". lmao. :D

But to clarify...

Moonlapse seems to be very passionate about his opinion re: Peter's solo because he had said on more than one occasion that his solo is detrimental to this particular song and has criticized other solos that he's done in the same fashion. Well, I'm being passionate about my feelings towards that statement/s.

As well, and once again I will not quote him but..... he did say something to the affect (in that review that he posted a while ago) that while the other band members seem to be progressing, Peter is not. I'm sorry but I don't know what to say about that other than I don't agree and it's pretty harsh coming from him.

OK, well... I've always thought that Peter is a great guitarist, and I have never understood why people don't like his playing.

My favorite Opeth solo(therefore one of my favorite solos of all time) is Peter's solo from A Fair Judgement(the one right after Mike's).

In my opinion, Peter is a better lead guitarist than Mike, because Mike's soloing is the usual, bluesy, Santana-like shredding... it's good, but Peter's playing seems much more "mature" and melodic to me... also, Peter's soloing is more memorable to me. :Spin:

Lietuvis said:
OK, well... I've always thought that Peter is a great guitarist, and I have never understood why people don't like his playing.

My favorite Opeth solo(therefore one of my favorite solos of all time) is Peter's solo from A Fair Judgement(the one right after Mike's).

In my opinion, Peter is a better lead guitarist than Mike, because Mike's soloing is the usual, bluesy, Santana-like shredding... it's good, but Peter's playing seems much more "mature" and melodic to me... also, Peter's soloing is more memorable to me. :Spin:

Thanks for the comments Lietuvis. Nothing wrong with preferring one style of solo over another. Although I just want to be clear on my intentions.... I never wanted this thread to turn into a pissing contest between the two members. Personally, I think they are both excellent in their own right and I enjoy hearing/watching them play together as a team as well as appreciating their different style when it comes to solos. At the NYC show, at one point they stood very close, facing each other while jamming. T'was very cool.

Lietuvis said:

I agree.. My favourite Opeth solo is Peter's in A fair Judgement as well, and his sweeping solos in many other songs are just incredible to listen too. I've always liked Peter, and I often find myself watching his technique at concerts more than I do Mikael's. Im not sure why that is, but he really seems laid back and comfortable up there. A true musician =). Interesting thread, some good discussion here!

I just feel sorry for Moonlapse when he arrives, he has to delete a load of our off topic ramblings (unfortunatly...) plus read a quite personal attack. Even if it wasn't meant that way you did single him out... hope he had a good day until he comes on here to see this madness! :tickled:

I think peter is actually a sort of mystery these days. All we know about his contribution is that he adds solos in a few songs, but not much else. I know that in the earlier days him and mike would come up with harmony riffs together, really had a chemistry thing going, but it seems like lately Mike has taken over that sort of thing. It's almost hard to speak about with certainty because the only stuff you hear about songwriting stems from Mike. I know mendez said that mike is the leader of the band, but that he wouldn't make you do anything you didn't want to do (lamentations), but does peter still contribute riffs and songwriting elements? I'm always curious about how opeth songs are written, because with the information i have, it seems like Mike grabs the ol' trusty acoustic and comes up with material on his own. It would be nice to have an official word from peter or anyone in the band about what is contributed by members other than Mike.

vampyrouss said:
I just feel sorry for Moonlapse when he arrives, he has to delete a load of our off topic ramblings (unfortunatly...) plus read a quite personal attack. Even if it wasn't meant that way you did single him out... hope he had a good day until he comes on here to see this madness! :tickled:

Well, if you consider it an attack, so be it. But then you must consider his multiple "detrimental" comments towards Peter an attack too because of the simple fact that he has repeated himself with his sentiments which resulted in Peter being singled out as well.

Put yourself in Peter's shoes since you have the ability to feel so bad. How would you feel if you came to your own official message board to find out that the mod has criticized you on more than one occasion and persists practically every time your solos are being brought up?? Would you feel good??

Yeah, I see your point. But it was just really random to post it today! But then you could say all Moonlapses attacks were random in those threads too, I get your point. But haven't others had a go at certain members of the band before? Okay you said he did it a couple times, but really, I am cetain he wasn't being malicious, despite the harshness of the words used. This is the internet afterall, and sometimes its hard to say things in the right context.

Mirrored Ghost said:
Well, if you consider it an attack, so be it. But then you must consider his multiple "detrimental" comments towards Peter an attack too because of the simple fact that he has repeated himself with his sentiments which resulted in Peter being singled out as well.
Dude, you need a hobby.

- the Somewhat Fat Guitarist

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Dude, you need a hobby.

- the Somewhat Fat Guitarist

Dude, you have more posts than me. I would re-evaluate who needs the hobby.

p.s. That is not a slam against anyone with many posts. Nothing wrong with that. Just giving a stupid response to a stupid statement.

Haha me and tubbs may have more posts than you, but our posts are blunt and to the point. you explain to much, dork!

PEAC EOUT

vampyrouss said:
Yeah, I see your point. But it was just really random to post it today! But then you could say all Moonlapses attacks were random in those threads too, I get your point. But haven't others had a go at certain members of the band before? Okay you said he did it a couple times, but really, I am cetain he wasn't being malicious, despite the harshness of the words used. This is the internet afterall, and sometimes its hard to say things in the right context.

I'm looking at it from a moderating point of view and the idea of setting a good example.

Ugh.... I give up explaining myself for now. If you read my initial post again, thoroughly, maybe you might understand.... but maybe not.

Anyways, peace.

vampyrouss said:
Yeah, I see your point.

:p

Which is what discussions are about, seeing different sides and opinions, not just your own, which incidentally, I don't have an opinion on this thread! :tickled: Since its not aimed at me or anything.