Thoughts on STYE

Moonshield

Revenant
Nov 17, 2001
UK
Since STYE is out now, it makes sense to have a thread where people can say what they think about it!

Personally, I'm impressed, but I think I'm probably still a little bit miffed at the lack of amazing solos and the like. It's a good album, very much in the vein of RTR. Before the release, I read all sorts of things comparing it to Whoracle and such (I remember specifically reading that In Search For I was similar in style) and when I heard it, I didn't agree with those comparisons remotely. That song, in my opinion, sounds most like Watch Them Feed, and definitely nowhere near Whoracle. But in any case, I think it's an enjoyable album. F(r)iend is great, and the little 'solo' is really cool. The Quiet Place is a great single, much better IMO than Cloud Connected was. Evil In A Closet is a cool song as well. Borders and Shading is my favourite song, I think. Defintely a good album. There is only one thing that bugs me a bit about the album (taking it as its own entity and not comparing it to any others) - there's a riff at 2:41 in "Superhero of the Computer Rage" which I think kicks ass, but they barely repeat it! One of the coolest riffs on the whole album IMO... damn! Oh and another thing to say, the short instrumental between Touch of Red and Like You Better Dead is excellent!

Anyway, so I like the album a lot. One other thing I'll bitch about is that Nuclear Blast box set. I actually defended that set on here in a previous thread, but having actually received it, it's a rip-off. The special huge booklet is identical to the standard one, just 4 times the size. The matches are just ... big matches. Nothing special at all. The bonus CD-R with live videos is actually NOT a CD-R (NB have done that before, I think they mean to say VCD but they just get it wrong?) and that's quite cool, although it comes in a shitty card sleeve like promo CDs do. Even worse, the album itself comes in a similar sleeve rather than a jewel case - that really sucks! And the certificate of authenticity is credit-card sized. The box itself is really nice, and as a package it's a cool thing to have, but it was definitely overpriced.

I'm not really sure though about how I rate the album compared to their others, even Reroute to Remain. I don't know if it's just because I've been listening to RTR regularly since it came out and have grown to really like it a lot, but the new one doesn't seem to strike me in the same way. It may just be because I've not had it for as long and maybe in a year or so I'll love this album as much as the previous - after all, the first time I heard a song from Reroute to Remain, I thought "oh my god what the hell is this?" and I liked the new one from the first listen. I don't agree with much of the stuff I read about the album on this forum and in other places before it came out, though. I think that my early impressions of this album are that there is less that I DON'T like about it (i.e. that part in System - you know what I mean, Cloud Connected and Transparent) BUT, there's probably less songs that stand out to me as being awesome than on RTR (title track, Drifter, Trigger, Minus, Dark Signs, etc.....). So it probably evens out. Like I said above, there are a few songs that I think are great. The worst songs for me is probably Touch of Red (great chorus, but the rest of it reminds me a bit of Transparent which I thought was crap - this song is definitely better than Transparent though). And as I say, it's not a bad song at all, just a little bit lesser. I'm also not totally keen on My Sweet Shadow, mainly because of that synth melody that appears at the beginning, the end, and various other points. Otherwise, that song has some great riffs, but it's spoiled a little for me by that melody! It sounds a bit out of place to me.

And of course, I'm still a bit miffed at the lack of solos. There's one or two, but they're nothing compared to how it was. I don't really understand why they're not playing great solos anymore, because we all know they're capable, they still do it live, and most of the songs either have a part which is just ASKING for a solo over it, or they do have some kind of lead guitar part which just isn't as extravagant as previous albums. But having solos doesn't make an album great, I just think that IF tended to write some of the coolest melodic solos I'd heard and it's a shame to be without that now.

I'll leave it there because I'm probably just rambling and talking crap, but I wanted to write what I think of it SOMEWHERE, and here seems as good a place as any...

I think it's their best release...I can hear elements from their previous work as well as where they have climbed to now. I like it alot but I'm not sure if it's my fav.
I do give it a 4.5/5

- collect some stars to shine for you, and start today cause there are only a few!

it's not bad, not also very good, but it gets boring quite quick. I still think Clayman is their best achievement ever. And I HATE the drum and guitar sound, they should give up those shitty producers Daniel Bergstrand and Orjan Onkloo.

I think the sound's okay, but definitely not as good as Studio Fredman. I guess they must have their reasons for moving studio, but the production on the older albums (especially Clayman) was amazing.

I actually think that the drums sound VERY nice...I like it a lot. However, I really dislike the rhythm guitar sound...it's WAY too harsh. And no, I don't mean too distorted, I just mean that they mixed/EQ'ed them in a way so that they are very piercing to my ears...and the are too noisy - covering up some fucking AWESOME melodies...that's what makes some of the songs seem lame at first. But the more you listen to them, the more you notice the different melodies and vocal layerings and it just sounds better....but I think more people would love this album if it were mixed completely differently.

I'm happy with this album.
I loved RTR aswell as the old albums, and this is no different, I'm not expecting the band to go back to thier old style anytime soon, part of me wants them too, another part doesnt.

The album is awesome, once more In Flames refuses to dissapoint and release yet another top notch album.

My only complaint is the song friend, which most definitely doesn't belong on any In Flames album... It sucked.

But yeah, no need to go into details, it's really an excellent album.

I heard the single, "The Quiet Place", and I didn't like it.The vocals are all whiny and shit. I prefer the older albums.

I must say that I am incredibly happy with this release. It's as if they took R2R, made it heavier, and removed all the filler. Although I don't care much for Anders' whining vocals, they are used very rarely, and the "direction" his voice takes is still interesting. When I first heard the Quiet Place, I wasn't at all impressed. Now that I have the album, I've noticed that, like every other song on the album, it has it's place. Sure, they could have replaced it with something better, but for the worst song on the album, it really isn't all that bad. Every other song has something to offer in my mind. F(r)iend is absolutely great for it's brutality; the choruses seem to be a lot more groove orientated (less catchy), but in a good way.Then of course there are the songs In Search for I, Dead Alone, Superhero (great chorus, and superb opening riff, imo) and Dial 595. Even the "ballad" (Evil in a Closet), which made me tense up before listening to because from interviews I didn't know what to expect, has an absolutely flawless chorus which, after a week and a half of solidly listening to the album, has yet to grow old. Now, I can't really say it is my favourite song (because it isn't heavy enough, hehe), but My Sweet Shadow is incredible. I never thought I would feel such an impact from an In Flames song this day and age. Like I said, every song is great (except The Quiet Place), making the album incredibly enjoyable. When I first heard R2R, I was blown away, but after a couple of weeks, it got really stale. I don't know how long this album is going to last, and whether or not I'll find it difficult to sit through it at times like with R2R (Transparent and Cloud Connected really do blow balls), but I can say that, on top of my purchasing of the new Monstrosity and Fleshcrawl (as well as others), STYE is the album I listen to the most, averaging on about twice/three times a day.

I love this album! All the songs are awesome, and I really enjoyed F(r)iend and My Sweet Shadow. Imo, I would have liked to have some songs longer, but its all good. I'd give it a 9/10.

Oh, and I'm going to comment on the booklet.. the baby pictures of them..haha that's great..and the use of different fonts...yeah.

I'm extremely disapointed with this album. There are sequences where it sounds like they got Jonathan Davis to come in and sing vocals. When RTR was released In Flames showed the world they sold out. They totally left The Jester Race & Whoracle behind them which were there two best releases in my opinion. After that they began there slow decent into "nu-metal". Maybe STYE isn't exactly nu-metal but it is a lot more nu metal than RTR, so you never know what's coming.
And I'm not one of those people who were never an In Flames fan and just come in here and start talking bullshit. I considered myself a big fan, I almost cryed when I heard RTR, but you could see it was coming.
Maybe they were just going in a new musical direction, and I thought about that long and hard. Then I thought, "Why would they change there style of music and use half the skill and technicality they used to, and suddenly go mainstream?" Strange...

The cd is awesome all but I wish they put more work on the production. I like to see Anders do the production at his Phat Planet Studios and then go to Fredman with Fredrik Nordstrom because Anders did an awesome job on Dimenson Zero's 2 cds and Anders' own aside-band Passenger. I give the cd a 8.5/10 because of the production.

I produced Clayman. hahaha...no seriously now, i don't like the sound at all, especially the drum sound, it's awful, i can't say i'm something better than he is, but at least i've good good hearing to know the difference between bad sound and superb sound.