STYE - Is It Really That Awful?

I always thought Come Clarity was the In Flames equivalent of Character, but definitely agreed that STYE is a solid record. A bit uneven in places but it has some classic tunes.

Reactions: Moonshield_
Character is the best DT album and I won't hear otherwise.

STYE is weird, at its best it's brilliant, at its worst it's really not great. I like it, but I would say it's the weakest of the 00s albums.

Character is the best DT album and I won't hear otherwise.

STYE is weird, at its best it's brilliant, at its worst it's really not great. I like it, but I would say it's the weakest of the 00s albums.

*sneeze*Fiction*sneeze* Huh, excuse me. Sorry about that.

STYE suffers from very poor production quality I think. At least for my taste. There are some songs on there that I really, really enjoy though. Dead Alone, My Sweet Shadow, Borders and Shading, Superhero... those are all songs that I don't think are just 'passable', but actually really good songs. It also houses the worst IF song of all time though, which is Bottled. Yes, even worse than Here Until Forever.

During the touring cycle for STYE, I got really tired of songs like The Quiet Place and Touch of Red but now they don't bother me much. Just Bottled.

Not going to argue about Bottled since you all seem to agree about it being bad but personally I had never thought it was until reading this place.

Love the « haunted » chorus so much, love the verses, solo and everything.

Same about Touch of Red, ultra catchy chorus.

That being said, I do think the reason for me to enjoy STYE so much is because it’s one of the first album i heard from IF & melodeath in general so i have a strong emotional connection with it (plus I was very young at that time so maybe I could be impressed easier).

I wish Anders could scream the same way he did on that album again.

Used & Abused STYE is fantastic. Album version is good but let down by production.

STYE was bashed largely because it was the first album where the guitars took a major back seat. Even Anders said in an interview he was surprised and disappointed by the lack of guitar melodies on STYE.

Reactions: Moonshield_
It may not be the same kind of melodies existing on pre-STYE albums but I do hear a melodic storm of fast paced riffs all along the record.

A little bit like a (way) lesser violent version of DZ riffing somehow!

That's what is so good about it imo :rolleyes:

After ASOP (and Jesper departure), they totally changed the guitar approach to something else that doesn't feel as enjoyable to me.

As an example I was very upset when I first heard the riff at 0:45 from "All for Me". I clearly remember thinking they would never make it out anymore without Jesper at that exact moment when this riff appeared in the song.

(The tragedy of my life is they actually kept using this riffage style album after album since soapf)

Reactions: eochaid