In retrospect, STYE isn't that bad.

At least In Flames tried something new, did something creative.

I feel this way about Reroute to Remain. That album has grown on me a lot over the last few years.

I think they adopted a new way to release albums after Clayman: 1 good, 1 bad.....

Case Point: Reroute (good), STYE (bad), Come Clarity (good), ASOP (bad).....

If trend continues maybe next album will rock.... hopefully it will have a white themed cover then we will know for sure it will be good.

Wrongest?

Come Clarity is a good album, but ASOP is definitely the worst thing they've done.
Wrongest: because grammar is important on the internet.

I hate how WeAreInFlames doesn't show respect for Reroute To Remain.
It's honestly more thuroughly older sounding then the rest of the "sellout" albums.

ASOP honestly doesn't freakin sound like what In Flames are ment to be.
Um.
R2R is older sounding, unless you consider that it:
lacks cool melodies
lacks awesome riffs
lacks interesting vocal lines (except the chorus of trigger and system)
lacks good solos
lacks good vocals
has a really shitty sound overall
etc

And what are In Flames meant to sound like? They're free to make whatever kind of music they want. People get too caught up in "they should sound like this." Enjoy the music on it's own terms.

And as far as selling out, once they release a song that's piano, acoustic guitars, and clean singing with a harmonized chorus and lyrics about falling in love with a girl in [place name], I'll believe that crap.

For Reroute
Shedding off the nu-metal feeling, a lot of approaches are simular to older albums. The melodies have a good old In Flames sound, and have the same approach as The Jester Race somewhat, like the tone kind of sounds the same like The Jester Race's melodic amplifier tone, just without the reverb, and the scales used on melodies are kind of simular to the Jester Race's.

Jester Race had nice melodies sections in songs. Songs like Moonshield, Artifacts of The Black Rain, have the catchy melodies, to songs like Dismiss the Cynics, Trigger, Dark Signs, they have the stand-in-front melody section to it too.

The production honestly isn't the best, but it's still better than STYE.

The vocals imo are great. It's the start where he started to use a more natural accent approach to his vocals, but use the same highs as Clayman. His vocals were intense still though, and the singing, is like 100 times better than shit like ASOP or STYE sometimes. It kind of reminded me of how he did some harsh cleans on Pinball map, Clayman, Insipid 2000, Coerced Coexistance or whatever.

I can't really word it well but Reroute definently caries a mix between new and old vibe strongly.

And if you can't compair something like Dawn of a New Day to their old stuff, then you're goddamn crazy.

Not at all. The melodies are in no way similar to their older stuff. The sound is completely different. The vocals are 90% just screaming.
And it generally just sucks.

doesn't sound heavy enough. but then again, that just might be the music.

The music isn't very heavy. But if you listen to the intro to condemned, where it is heavy, it sounds pretty heavy.

The production on ASOP sounds "good" and it's "well produced", but it's too compressed, all the registers are pretty much strangled by all the huge compressing.
It doesn't sound dynamic at all, it doesn't sound powerful, it sounds "well produced".

WeAreInFlames.
I really don't feel like A Sense Of Purpose is very powerful or heavy. I think that's one of the reason I don't like it. It has no sense of brutalit or anything.

Funny how you hate R2R while I hate ASOP.

I've been noticing a pattern lately. Every time In Flames makes a new album, their prior album, which I had thought was shit up until then, begins to grow on me. This happened with STYE and CC. I thought CC was the biggest piece of shit compared to STYE. But then ASOP was released, and now I think that CC is actually a kinda cool throwback to yesteryear with some decent cleans in the chorus. Meanwhile, I think ASOP should go jump off a cliff.
lol, the shitiness of each new album makes the prior one look better in comparison.

WeAreInFlames.
I really don't feel like A Sense Of Purpose is very powerful or heavy. I think that's one of the reason I don't like it. It has no sense of brutalit or anything.

Funny how you hate R2R while I hate ASOP.

ASOP isn't meant to be brutal or heavy. Stop listening to it as a metal album. You'll like it more.

ASOP isn't meant to be brutal or heavy. Stop listening to it as a metal album. You'll like it more.

It is metal, and you would be a fool to not call it metal. What it isn't is melodic death metal.

Listen to it like a heavy metal album, because they're obviously not melodic-death anymore.

Then what should everybody listen to the album as then? I understand what you're saying, but there's no way ASOP is light enough to be classified as a rock album.

As far as I'm concerned, they're still metal.

It is metal, and you would be a fool to not call it metal. What it isn't is melodic death metal.

Listen to it like a heavy metal album, because they're obviously not melodic-death anymore.

This is correct. It shouldn't be listened to as a melodic death album because it isn't.