STYE - Is It Really That Awful?

TheAbstracted

...What am I looking at?
Jan 24, 2009
For as long as I've been an In Flames fan, there have been two albums from their catalouge for which the majority opinion of such doesn't click with me; namely, the seemingly near universal disdain of Soundtrack to Your Escape. (The other being that I find Clayman terrible, but that's another thread)

I concede that it's one of the weaker efforts in the lineup, but it's far from the abomination some make it out to be. (Except for that song...well, you know.) "My Sweet Shadow" isn't half bad; personally, I really like "Evil in a Closet", and "Dial 595-Escape" is in my top 10 favorites of the band.

Aside from the infamous "Bottled", the only other entry I don't care for is "Superhero of the Computer Rage". The rest of the songs on the album are at least half-decent or better, just nothing that really stands out.

Now of course, this is all just my personal taste and interpretation; the reason I made this thread is I am genuinely interested to hear a different take on the matter, and perhaps gain a better understanding of the why the album is often cast in such a negative light. I look forward to reading the responses. :)

Reactions: Xpyro125
I like STYE a lot, and I even like Bottled. I can understand the hate for it because it is very different. I just never ever understood why "Old In Flames" was LS up to Clayman, and "New In Flames" was all albums after. Each album gets very different.

Yeah Dial-595-Escape is a very good song. Definitely my favorite off of STYE.

I can't really put my finger on the reason, but STYE has a special place in my heart. It's hard to believe, but this album is just about a decade old at this point. When it first came out, I remember jamming this CD in my car as I drove around aimlessly like it was yesterday. And it's funny because I still consider this a "new" In Flames album. It's actually more scary than funny, but that's another topic.

There's nothing on this album that comes close to the classics on previous albums, but STYE still manages to capture a certain atmosphere that other bands can't produce. "Atmosphere" is the key word. And for me, STYE just has it. The songs themselves may not be the best they've done, but as a whole, the album just works. When it comes down to it, I'd prefer STYE over RTR, CC and ASOP. I think Sounds of a Playground Fading is their best since Clayman.

STYE is a poor album in comparison with their past efforts. Childish lyrics ("I like you better dead" :D) and american metal influences all over the shop. Bottled is enough to give the album a deserved 0/10 in its own right tbh.

That all said, it actually isn't that bad of an album in isolation from the rest of their catalogue and if pretending Bottled doesn't exist. I actually think the vocals on the album are pretty good, light-years ahead of ASOP which imo was Anders' worst vocal effort on any album. I also think the screamed vocals on STYE are better than R2R and Clayman.

STYE's backlash came because it was the concrete sign that In Flames were moving very far away from their Swedish metal roots and entrenching themselves firmly in the more popular American metal scene. From a business standpoint it made perfect sense and you have to applaud them for their decision making in that regard - they made a ton of money out of it and managed to push their way into the crowds that enjoyed the likes of Slipknot, Korn, Lamb of God, etc. A lucrative market that the likes of DT, Soilwork and Arch Enemy never really penetrated.

I would argue the hatred for STYE is based more on what it represents as opposed to the actual music on it. There are plenty of decent songs on the album - not close to In Flames' best at any point, but not bad enough to provoke the backlash it received. The album simply represents the business acumen of In Flames, something underground metal fans cannot understand and will actively reject.

Quiet place, Sweet Shadow, In Search for I, Evil in Closet are sick as hell. The rest yes seem to be fillers even though there are some sweet parts in some of the other tracks.

Bottled live wasn't bad on the used & abused dvd :p especially the guitar riffs.

But STYE is way above ASOP.

Especially in the 2004 STYE era they were still playing great sets. I don't get how people could look at STYE as in anyway bad nor Come Clarity.

ASOP was not that great... Sounds of Playground fading was not bad and was their comeback record after the shakiness of Jesper leaving and stuff.

the seemingly near universal disdain of Soundtrack to Your Escape.

I seem to remember alot of the press giving rave reviews about STYE at the time! (Correct me if I'm wrong here).

The main person who holds disdain toward the album is DE4life! We all have our own tastes and likes/dislikes. If you look on In Flames' Facebook page when they ask what your favourite song is, or what you'd like to hear live, you'll see hundreds upon hundreds of The Quite Place and My Sweet Shadow replies. They are brilliant stand outs in IF's back catalogue! As another poster on here mentioned- STYE just has a brilliant atmosphere, each song belongs (although personally I wish Bottled didn't! Discover Me Like Emptiness would have been perfection to finish of the record) and captures the best of In Flames' alt-metal sound.

I sort of see what others mean though when they bash the lyrics. But then again Anders' lyrics have been fairly awful since Reroute to Remain anyway, I'd rather STYE pseudo-arty-childish-angsty lyrics than A Sense of Purpose's... errmm... lyrics.

The used and abused DVD set they did was fucking amazing.

Even "fluid container" wasn't as bad.

Quiet Place, My Sweet Shadow, Evil in Closet, In Search For I (also amazing on the hammersmith live set) Dial 595, Superhero of Computer Rage all heavy and awesome as hell live.

The darker messages of both personal issues and societal issues is sick.

Certainly albums like ASOP and SC show that STYE was not in retrospect a bad album at all. Below par in terms of their earlier efforts (and not as good as Reroute, imo) but a passable album with some good songs on it which work very well in a live setting. It's a shame that the only songs that get played off STYE in the live set these days are TQP and MSS.

I think F(r)iend was one of the best songs off of Used and Abused. They need to play that more.

F(r)iend should be awesome but there's just something about it that puts me off. It's really heavy, vocals on it are pretty brutal... I guess it's the lack of melody that I don't like so much. A great live track though.

F(r)iend should be awesome but there's just something about it that puts me off. It's really heavy, vocals on it are pretty brutal... I guess it's the lack of melody that I don't like so much. A great live track though.

I love the pure aggression on it. In my opinion they should do a few more songs like it.

I agree, great live track.

They didnt play this one that much live but Anders doing awesome job on this.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
They only played F(r)iend a couple times during 2004 and 2005 I think, sadly.
The growls he does on that song on the DVD are undoubtedly his best growls ever, imo.

As previously said, i’m actively reading this forum for more than 10 years. I did NEVER understand what the hell is to be reproached to STYE.

Ultra fast riffing, strong melancholy mood throughout the whole record and some of the most emotional and intense songs of their catalog (My Sweet Shadow, Evil in a Closet ).

In a way STYE is to In Flames what « Character » is to DT

Reactions: ThePhobiac