STYE limited box set

King Fear

Straight Outta Blashyrkh
Apr 12, 2002
Lhasa, Tibet
Visit site
There is a box set for STYE in the making, limited to 1000 copies and only available through the NB mail order:

http://shop.nuclearblast.de/details.php?artikelnr=124333

The German description reads:

"Limitiert auf 1000 Stück: Die massive schwere Holzbox inkl. dem neuen IN FLAMES-Hitalbum "Soundtrack to your escape" inkl. 2 (!) Audio-Bonustracks und der exklusiv in dieser Box erhältlichen CDR mit 3 Live-Video-Bonustracks, einem extra Hochformat-Booklet, Zündhölzern und dem durchnummerierten Echtheitszertifikat!"

Translation:
"Limited to 1000 copies: the massive, heavy wooden box with the new In Flames hit record "STYE" including 2 audio bonus tracks and, exclusive to this box, a CD-R with three live video bonus tracks, an additional king-size booklet, matches and a numbered certificate of authenticity."

The price is 50 Euros (~ 63$). How ridiculous is that?! I mean, this would probably be OK for 20 Euros like the Dissection and Hypocrisy boxsets were (which featured a bonus DVD each and, in the case of Dissection, an additional CD). But for 50 bucks? Make the CD-R (btw, why a shitty CD-R?!) a DVD with a complete live show and the matches a shirt, and I'll start thinking about considering to buy it.
And I thought they had learned something from the latest Dimmu Borgir special edition that is still available from them months after release since it didn't offer anything worthwhile, either.

Oh, and as for the only seemingly positive thing, the audio bonus tracks: unconfirmed rumour has it that one of them is just the same bonus track that is featured on the digipak, and the other a live version of "Clayman" recorded at Wacken 03 that is already available on the "Wacken 03 Live" sampler.

NB, I got two words for you: RIP OFF.

make the CDR a DVD or VCD-CD of live stuff and the matches a zippo. If it was just the matches being zippo I would get it.
but this is fucking stupid. what else is in the booklet? If it's 8.5x11 with more original artwork it'd be better, and maybe if the box was completely carved, but this isn't worth more than maybe $35

It probably works out to about 25 Euros for the packaging, which is a pretty big heavy wooden box. And the picture of it on the site is only provisional, it's not the real deal. If you were going to buy the album anyway then it's basically 35 Euros for the extra stuff. Personally I'm into them enough to pay that. If you're not interested then just don't buy it! I'm sure it'll sell out on pre-orders anyway, so if you don't want it then it just leaves extra ones for someone who does.

@Steve: They extended the above description in the meantime, now it additionally says that it's approx. 22,5 cm x 22,5 cm and weighs in at about 2 kg.

@Moonshield: 25 Euros for the packaging?! Stop kidding me. There's no way that the costs for manufacturing this box with all its contents exceeds 10 Euros, and that is already a conservative estimate. Plus, NB are selling it only through their website without any distributors or local CD dealers cashing in as well. As it's safe to assume that it's going to be sold out, you do the math: 1000 x 50 Euros, minus 20% (at most) for manufacturing is a nice profit, don't you think? I believe they could really have offered it at a lower price and still would have had a nice share.
Of course I'm not wanting record companies to give away their CDs for next to nothing, and I'm an avid collector of limited editions as well - but only if they offer something worthy and special. I already mentioned it, but again: just look what happened to the latest Dimmu Borgir mailorder-only special edition: it was at 66,66 Euros (evil, huh?) and it's still available months after the release, because it offered zero extras except for the packaging. And all that NB seemingly learned from this is that they reduced the number of copies for the IF box to 1000, instead of adding some real goodies.
So, I'll get the "normal" digi with one bonus track ("Discover Me Like Emptiness", I believe), and you guys can do with your money whatever you want to - there's two HevyDevyRecords-exclusive Devin Townsend CDs coming by the end of the month, so I should be saving some money anyway.

If you think the extras are crap and you don't want the damn thing then why moan about the price? I'll buy it, you won't. Who cares? You'll spend the money you save on those Devin albums, whereas I personally don't give a crap about him. At the end of the month we'll both be even and we'll both have what we want. Hooray.

You'll buy it, I won't - that's exactly what I said in my last post. I just bitched about why I won't buy it, as I have every right to do so if I want to waste my time like that. You don't care - that's perfectly fine, but then again, you read it and even posted something in reply. So why complain about me complaining? ;)
Still, I can't wait to hear the album!

By the famous "who cares?" argument, you can end every and all discussion on this board and could do away with the complete UM forums, because they're all of exactly zero importance.

Have a nice day.

King Fear said:
So why complain about me complaining? ;)
Same reason most people are on here at the moment - complaining can be fun!

By the famous "who cares?" argument, you can end every and all discussion on this board and could do away with the complete UM forums, because they're all of exactly zero importance.
This is very true!