Favorite Releases of 2004?

Woah, just got Leviathan's Tentacles of Whorror in the mail after winning it on eBay. Not only does it make my list of favorite albums for the year, it blackens the list at least a little. Just got back from a walk (at night) through the snow in the freezing cold wearing camo pants, hiking boots, leather jacket, and Emperor t-shirt, listening to this album; a pretty near-perfect situation to listen to black metal.

1) Mastodon - Leviathan
2) Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
3) Isis - Panopticon
4) Dub Buk - Rus Ponad Vse
5) Converge - You Fail Me
6) Vehemence - Helping the World to See
7) Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer
8) Finntroll - Nattfödd
9) Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
10) Blut Aud Nord - The Work Which Transforms God

spectral didnt make the cut, but neither did any other melodeath.

1. Mercenary - 11 Dreams. <---awesome
2. Orphaned Land - Mabool.
3. Therion - Lemuria.
i gotta agree with these 3. also, i guess i'd go with disillusion, ayreon, disharmonia, arsis, lilitu, dragonforce and dragonland

didn't really like new nightwish. within temptation and cradle of filth were ok. also liked Brave, Isis, Red Harvest and Neurosis. i'm sure there's more but i don't remember what the hell came out this year

edit: looking at the above posts reminded me of Vader, Into Eternity, Amaran, God Forbid and Skyfire. <-- no idea how i forgot that one :err: all solid albums

How abotu Top 5 Songs of 2004? Songs you just listened to non stop...

For me I think...

1. Shadows Fall - Those Who Cannot Speak
- This song is fucking amazing, the main riff is so epic. Intense, technical, and has yet to get stale despite repeated listenings. Shadows Fall can do whatever they want as long as they write songs like this.

2. Lilitu - The Delores Lesion (title track)
- This song has a lot of layers from my perspective and was one of the songs that hit me the slowest on the new album. But once I listened to it more and more it became my favorite song on the album. The keyboard melody in the chorus gives me chills.

3. Trivium - Blinding Tears Will Break the Sky
- Very sad to see this song didnt make the new album, but it is an amazing song regardless. Ember to Inferno (the re-release) got so much play from me and this song was one of the reasons why.

4. Skyfire - Shadow Creator
- Best song on Spectral as well as one of Skyfire best songs period (imo). Has everything I love about Skyfire with experimenation and a proggy vibe. A proper evolution of Skyfires sound.

5. Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor (title track)
- Very hard to pick one song from this album but this song was just the deepest and most complex song I had heard all year. From the epic strings in the intro to the insane chaos torwards the middle. This song epitomizes Disillusion imo. Complex, beautiful, melodic, heavy, fast, calm, and everything in between.

So yeah...post your uh...picks? Yes...do that...yes.

Final_Vision said:
5. Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor (title track)
- Very hard to pick one song from this album but this song was just the deepest and most complex song I had heard all year. From the epic strings in the intro to the insane chaos torwards the middle. This song epitomizes Disillusion imo. Complex, beautiful, melodic, heavy, fast, calm, and everything in between.

Damn straight. That makes my list too. I'm not gonna put them in order... Gotta think hard about this...

Unexpect - Novae
Into Eternity - Beginning of the End
Skyfire - Cursed by Belief
Arsis - Return

I'll think of something else and get back to you.

1. Hypocrisy- The Arrival
2. Kataklysm- Serenity in Fire

2004 was a pretty crappy year in my eyes. Alot of crappy death metal was released like Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Dismember, Decapitated, Vader, Jungle Rot, Malevolent Creation... And of course the WORST album of 2004, The Glorious Burden. Man was that album stupid, only one good song.

Metsatöll - Hiiekoda

Released at the very end of the year, this has to be one of the best folk metal cds ever. All of the lyrics are sung in Estonian, and they use a lot more traditional instruments then on previous releases. The production and vocals are also a lot better than the first cd, which were still fine, but now they're near perfect. The tracks of just chanting or just bagpipes are awesome too. This cd has everything that a folk metal cd should, listen now.