Anyone here listened to Ensiferum?

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
Skyfire board seems as good a place as any to ask this question, but it's not at random.

Ensiferum - they only have 1 disc, s/t - fits comfortably in the metal niche pioneered by CoB, Kalmah & Skyfire. Only their Maiden-influenced guitar attack is decidedly more epic, and VERY Viking influenced. This is one of the best albums I've heard in years, and I would highly recommend it. Thoughts?

Originally posted by Gums
not bad.. I have a couple of their songs on my list right now

Do you like Summoning?

Yes I do, and it took some time to, erm, "get" it. Summoning's 2 best IMO are "Stronghold" and "Let Mortal Heroes..." - they are MAJESTIC and kick-@$$!

wow Ensiferum sounds kick fuckin ass....I must check em out....as for Moonsorrow, I heard something a while back from them and liked it...but not in a while

Originally posted by Final_Vision
wow Ensiferum sounds kick fuckin ass....I must check em out....as for Moonsorrow, I heard something a while back from them and liked it...but not in a while

The best way to describe Ensiferum would be to try to imagine if Iron Maiden merged with Enslaved, hired Alexi Laiho to be the new singer, then added Shane MacGowan's sense of Celtic melody. It's Maiden-inspired, hummable metal with extreme vocals & many Viking melody/harmony. In other words, it rules.

Originally posted by markgugs

Yes I do, and it took some time to, erm, "get" it. Summoning's 2 best IMO are "Stronghold" and "Let Mortal Heroes..." - they are MAJESTIC and kick-@$$!

Do you have all of Summoning's CD's? For some reason my favorite's are Minas Morgul and Stronghold, with Nightshade Forests not far behind.

Falkenbach's second CD '...magni blandinn...' is better than the debut IMO. The debut is much more black metal. Whereas the second CD is more epic with clean vocals, the debut is more 'Blood, Fire, Death'-ish (thrashier with mostly black metal vocals.)

I like Moonsorrow a lot. I didn't know their second CD 'Suden Uni' is hard to find. I'm glad I grabbed it when I did. It's not as good as Voimasta, but still damn good.

Ensiferum own.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Do you have all of Summoning's CD's? For some reason my favorite's are Minas Morgul and Stronghold, with Nightshade Forests not far behind.

Yes, I have them all. The 1st I ever heard was 'Lugburz' (sp?) and I was fairly taken with it...it's just the 2 newest are my faves...oh wait, I've actually not heard Nightshade Forests. That's the MCD, right?

Falkenbach's second CD '...magni blandinn...' is better than the debut IMO. The debut is much more black metal. Whereas the second CD is more epic with clean vocals, the debut is more 'Blood, Fire, Death'-ish (thrashier with mostly black metal vocals.)

This is the only Falkenbach disc I own or have heard, and it absolutely slays. I'm not sure I even knew they had another...hmmm, I might like it more than you since I tend to dig BM a bit more. I'll have to search it out...

I like Moonsorrow a lot. I didn't know their second CD 'Suden Uni' is hard to find. I'm glad I grabbed it when I did. It's not as good as Voimasta, but still damn good.

Hell, I didn't know it was hard to find either. I just happened upon it one day at The End and grabbed it. Haven't listened to it yet (of course), but I can't imagine not liking it...

Ensiferum own.

Hmm, they DO, don't they? :D

Originally posted by Gums

Yah I did. It was about diabolical masquerade, but I wanted to give some other people a chance to get involved in the thread :)

Woops, forgot about this....I've not heard any Diabolical Masquerade either, but I've heard good things about them. Who are they comparable to in the BM field?

And it's very nice of you to let others participate. I usually don't.