Without further ado, I present...my 2005 Top 10 List (& more)

First off, good list.

1. Falkenbach - Heralding The Fireblade: given your unabashed manlove for this disc, I will cast aside my own initial impressions. I'm going to give this three full spins and see if it change my first impression.

2. Manegarm - Vredens Tid: haven't heard this one (even though you raved about it). It just got lost in the shuffle. I'll queue this up shortly.

3. Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor: this sounds like it would be right up my alley. I really need to check these guys out.

5. Moonsorrow - Verisakeet: my only problem with this disc is it loses my attention. I've queued this up a number of times on headphones. When the disc concludes, I feel like I didn't even hear the last two songs.

6. Drudkh - The Swan Road: given that their last disc was in my Top 10, I really should listen to this.

7. Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness: which 3 songs did you prefer to "The Coffin Ships"?

8. Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked: yawn. Not sure who would be more mind-numbing live, these guys are Yanni.

Zod

Henrik Main said:
I found the Sin Origin merely "OK", nothing more, nothing less :/ Some really cool BLACKTHRASH parts, but too many mediocre ones. I'll give it another chance, though, perhaps it's a grower.

Cool, fair enough. They really struck a chord with me, primarily for all the different "parts" to the song(s), but we can't all have the same tastes now, can we?

I also prefer three songs to "The Coffin Ships", but for me, it's these:

The Gathering Wilderness
Song of the End
Cities Carved in Stone

"She sent the sun to heal me
She sent the moon to guide me
And when the words failed me
So she lay beside me"

Beautiful...

General Zod said:
And my 2nd favorite would be "The Golden Spiral".

Zod

That's the mark of a great album, we each have different favorites. I will say that it's a remarkably consistent album, there are really no poor tracks, and most are of a fairly high quality throughout.

cthulufhtagn said:
dude if they have stuff better than what i just heard (got a track from mfj too, fuckin ace :headbang: ), i will shit my pants with glee

I agree. The first time I heard Helrunar was when Mark brought it over to my house a few weeks back, and halfway through the first song I was like "sold!". Yeah, there's an obvious Dissection vibe to them but I think they take it one step further, or at least add a little depth preventing them from sounding like a rip-off.