my top 10 2005

spikes77

Jun 6, 2001
Brooklyn, NYC
Since all the cool kids are doing it. I just made up the order now, so it's not definite but generally about right.

1. Panthiest - Amartia: Great album, much better then their last imo. The guitars, vocals, keys all coming together to make an epic majestic piece. Looking forward to their new ep whenever it gets released.

2. Mournful congregation - Monad of creation: Another amazing doom album. So sad, yet uplifting at the same time (just like good doom should be, see skepticism and unholy). The last 10 minutes of the title track is pure bliss (beautiful harmonies)

3. Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet: Its already been discussed, karhunkynsi could be may favorite song of the year. I like the more aggressive nature of the album compared to their past effort.

4. Deathspell omega - Kenose: What is with all this talk of overrated in this forum. Have any of you even heard this release?! Listen to II from this ep (start to finish) you cant tell me that is not pure genius! Such dynamics and atmosphere achieved (without losing any technicality). I cannot wait for their next.

5. Umbra Nihl - Gnoia: Just gave this one a relisten, and its still an extremely engaging listen. I dont smoke, but i imagine getting high to this release would make for some interesting stuff. Even so, tripped out doom at its finest (this band could be in my recommendation).

6. The Gault - Even as all before us: This has grown on me alot. When they get going the atmosphere is really quite intense. I'm not sure if this is the best time to listen to an album, but i was listening to this one time, coming in and out of sleep, and it had quite the effect. Too bad this will be their only album.

7. Alcest - Le secret: Good black metal, look foward to their next.

8. Skumring - De glemte tider - another great doom album.. good year for doom :D

9. Antimatter - Planetary confinement

10. october falls - marras: amazing stuff again, keep up the good work M.

close: sigh - gallows gallery (good, but nowhere near imaginery sonicscape)
witchcraft - firewood: Great stuff, just missed top 10

of these, i own verisakeet, marras and amartia, traded away Kenose (didnt dislike it, just never listened to it), and NEED to get The Gault and Mournful Congregation.

good list

I'm intrigued by Umbra Nihl to say the least - post a sample?

Also, I loved the last Pantheist album, but haven't been in the mood for funeral doom for months now...but if you have it at #1, may have to check it out anyway.

I think I'm the only person here who hasn't heard the new Deathspell Omega. Goddamnit! I'll hunt it down.

I really really really need to hear this Umbra Nihil, considering how much I love Aarni (nice avatar btw).

Umbra Nihil ranks among 2005's best non-awaited stuff. I would depict it as 70's psyche rock played in a doom approach with a doom sound and ambiances between cellar/Lovecraft gloominess and Zeppelin smoking trip.