Without further ado, I present...my 2005 Top 10 List (& more)

I don't know (re: DT), I initially enjoyed the album, shelved it for a bit, then listened to it a lot and was more & more dismayed by the overall product. I would totally agree about Stanne's vocals, but that's pretty much a given w/ any DT album IMO.

It was just, forgettable, for lack of a better word. Then again, I'm someone who loved loved loved "Damage Done," so.... :D

A nice non-conformist list, certainly worked out with passion. Only one of those albums matches my own top 10, which I will unleash in a similar fashion when the last handful of contenders have eventually sunk in

Henrik Main said:
Surely you've heard "Tetagrammatical Astygmata" too?

Oh yeah, I forgot that one! I think I'll place it in the "honoroable mentions" category, though, as I hardly thought it was the black metal album of the decade, as a certain other internet warrior tried to convince us it was.

Cool list. Three of those I heard towards the end of the year after you bought 'em! For sure, 2005 STARTED piss poorly, what with lacklustre releases from "giants" such as Dark Tranquility, Candlemass, Behemoth, Nokturnal Mortum, Nile, etc. and then ramped up towards the end....

...by the way, a 7.5/10 score from a band that shouldn't be releasing material worth anything less than a 8.5/10 is disappointing IMO. I think people are being WAAAY too generous with the Dark Tranquility release. Alternatively, had the Opeth or Enslaved albums, for example, been released by newcomers, it would have been a lot more exciting.

Re: Drudkh -- it 'aint because it's not "Autumn Aurora pt 2" that I don't like it. :loco:

Manegarm would be the big surprise for me, especially since it's such an improvement over their previous stuff. I think it's got more depth/variety than "Urkraft", it's actually quite "progressive" in its songwriting.

Bruce will be in my top 10. :D "Kill Devil Hill" and "Power of the Sun" could have been lifted from the Chemical Wedding sessions. Obviously not as good as CW overall, but his second best IMO.

4 of those might be in my top 10! :kickass:

Ellestin said:
A nice non-conformist list, certainly worked out with passion. Only one of those albums matches my own top 10, which I will unleash in a similar fashion when the last handful of contenders have eventually sunk in

"Masterpiece of Bitterness" better be HIGH there so I can Oompa-Loompa once again.

:lol:

EDIT: Why do they misspell it anyway? Have I been in the US too long? :loco:

EDIT: Fucking 'ell, how do you spell "mis-spell"? Hahaha....need coffee.

The funny thing about Nile is that I don't think it's "epic" enough, but then I listen to the new Behemoth (which is "epic" by comparison) and it's boring as fuck.

I honestly don't know how to share the new Rudra. Neither can I rip it or copy it to CD-R.

Hey Mark, did you hear the Witchcraft yet? Or I think you said you heard the Novembers Doom and scored it an 8/10 or something? That still doesn't make the honorable mentions list?

Nile's album rules, your ears are broken. :D

Anyway, yeah, I've been through Witchcraft a few times. I haveta say, I was semi-disappointed with it truth be told. For a style that should simply jump out & grab you, it really didn't. I've heard 100 better "stoner/retro" styled albums.

Novembers Doom was an omission in the "didn't hear enough" area. But I wasn't going to hold up my list for it anymore. It's an 8/10 that could become a 6/10 or a 9.5/10 over the next few months, you know?