The very best of 2005: your top 10 list

in spite of losing my music-listener card.....
1) Cryptopsy: Once Was Not
2) Nile: Annihilation of the Wicked
3) Nevermore: This Godless Endeavor

i used to hate nile.
i bought Annihilation because i read an interview in BW+BK and heard a track on "knuckletracks".
i just wasnt ready for them the first time around - i hadnt even started listening to opeth back then.

i remember i heard a nile song once a long time ago after i read about them in guitar world or some shitz, this was back when i was listening to metallica and aic...i heard it and went "that sucks it's just some dudes screaming and thrashing around"...ah the naivete of youth

thats pretty much my experience. i was listening to - er, well, i OWNED - albums by disturbed, static x , et al (BWAHAHAHAHA!) at the time. i sold "in their darkened shrines" after one listen. i was like, "man, you cant even hear the vocals". man, what a jerk i was.

Myself in another thread said:
It's hard to remember everything that came out this year but my top 10 will probably be chosen from the following bands at the end of the year:

Nokturnal Mortum
Svartkraft
Misantropical Painforest
Morrigan
Countess
Krynitza
Antimatter
Drudkh
Jesu
Pelican
Red Sparrows
Nachtfalke
Tyranny
Ondskapt
Deathspell Omega
Lurker of Chalice

And I'm sure I'm forgetting many others from this year I liked.

I need to add Falkenbach and ZwenZ. If only there was some list of all the albums that came out in 2005. My memory is so fucking bad.

So far my list is looking like this (in no order)

Primordial
Rudra
Bruce Dickinson
Novembers Doom
Witchcraft
Moonsorrow
Falkenbach

Nothing above scores a 10/10.

Anything scoring a 7.5/10 or less (e.g Dark Tranquillity, Drudkh, Candlemass, Kreator, Behemoth, and most of everything) won't/shouldn't be considered.

Need to spend more time with new Thyrfing.

Need to hear more Helrunar (special digipak on order from The End).

I've been compiling a list for about a week now, with commentary. It will be ready sometime in January, probably subject to later updates as I hear the new Sólstafir (if it's released ontime on Dec. 30th), and whatever I missed.

yeah I don't listen to uber underground stuff like you guys do, but here's my list anyway:

Nile
Nevermore
Savage Circus
Augury (released in 2004 but got it middle 2005 due to shitty distribution)
Dragonlord
Naglfar
Opeth
Bloodbath
Hypocrisy
Gamma Ray