Good value video card

Nico

Onward!
Oct 21, 2003
War for Territory
Income rules. I'm finaly going to fucking upgrade this peice of shit, so I need reommendations for a good value video card. Not something budget, not something high-end... just something I'll probably be able to run Half-Life 2 on decently.

Well for to run HL2 decently, you'd need a 8 pixel pipeline card at most
Get either a 9700 Pro (2 years old) or a 9800 Pro, under 200$ each...
You can play HL2 nicely with either one, and they both have 256 bit DDR memory interface
The new X700 XT and Etc from ATI still use 128 bit even though it has DDR3 ram...
The more Bit memory interface.. well the more torque the game gets..
I can get a 9700 Pro for like 125-140 bux new.... you can probably get like a 9800 Pro ATI bult for 170 or under...use maybe.. also, you need a 300 Watt PSU... but if you don't have that,... get a 9600 XT video card.... which doesn't need a PSU connected to it..

DE said:
9800 Pro 128mB, the 256bit one. Or wait for the AGP version of the nVidia 6600GT comes out. I think I'm going to go from my 9800 Pro to a 6800GT sometime next year :)

EDIT: Here's a little article about the 6600, it seems like just what you're looking for. http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040907-4162.html

Don't go Nvidia,

I had 3 of their dumb cards, GF2, GF4MX, and 5200 Ultra, the cards worked nicely
But it's their drivers, their not user friendly, they don't give you enough options at all, it feels like it's so propitory...ATI actually cares bout their customers, and Nvidia takes wayyy too long for updated drivers... And when ATI has a driver problem they usually fix it and update in bout 2-3 weeks..

Actualy I've owned a GF440MX and Radeon 9700 (both of which have blown up) and I found that the nVidia card was a lot more functional with regards to drivers and options. I'll keep an open mind though.

DE, when's this card released? I can't be bothered reading through the article for dates... because I'll be hitting the store with my first paycheque in a fortnight.

Decadent said:
Actualy I've owned a GF440MX and Radeon 9700 (both of which have blown up) and I found that the nVidia card was a lot more functional with regards to drivers and options. I'll keep an open mind though.

DE, when's this card released? I can't be bothered reading through the article for dates... because I'll be hitting the store with my first paycheque in a fortnight.

If you do go for Nvidia i feel sorry for you
I owned their FX series cards, and if you play HL2 with any of their drivers
you will regret it, BUT you can play Doom 3 with at max 45FPS
and remember the 6600 is only 128 bit...and 16gb/s my 9700 Pro is now over clocked to get 21gb/s im upgrading to the X900 XT PE in january it will get 40gb/s and be 512mb Quad channel DDR3,
The new Nvidia drivers don't give you alot of options, my friend has a 5900XT and my other has a 5700 Ultra, i played and messed around on their computers and i just don't see how they can stand using so little of options.. the Catalyst Control Center gives you alot of gooood features..I might get a 6900 Ultra in the future... or the X900, Nvidia isn't bad, just their drivers are horrid...