Goodbye Ibanez, hello H-1001!

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Yes folks, as I've hinted at in a few other threads, a couple of weeks ago I sold my trusty Ibanez RGA321F, mainly because I wanted to try an EMG 89 and 81-TW in the bridge slot of my rhythm guitar but was sick of having to mangle the pickups to get 'em to fit in the direct-mount cavities on it (also, while the body on it was mahogany, as you can see in this pic the admittedly gorgeous flamed maple top accounted for about 1/3 of its total thickness, which was already pretty thin, so I wanted something a bit beefier sounding) So behold:

Guitars.jpg

As you can see, I also got an 89 for the bridge of my Jackson (in D-standard), which I'm loving - once I get the money for 'em, I'm gonna buy a 500k pot to wire the neck Duncan to so I can have them both in there (simply so I can save money by not having to buy an EMG S, at least not right now :D), but for now it's bridge-only, and the same for the LTD (and it's without strings as I need to get over to the luthier at my local store to install the Graph Tech Black TUSQ XL nut I bought for it). Eventually I'll get an 81 for the neck position of it (in matching ivory finish, which I think will look bonerrific), but yeah, I'm pretty happy all in all! (and the LTD was used but in flawless condition, and I got it with a case for $560 shipped :cool: )

Once I get the LTD all ready to go, expect a shootout between the 81TW and 89 in it! :headbang:

Thanks dudes! Oh yeah, and I was surprised and slightly disappointed to discover that the body on the H-1001 was like Schecter thickness (at 1 5/8" thick at the edges), but at least the neck is a bit more reasonable (and maple), and the increased thickness will of course mean increased chunk! :headbang: And the locking nuts aren't on the Jackson yet as I still have to get around to intonating it :D

Looks sick. Don't think the ivory EMG matches by any stretch of the imagination, but to each his own

Is that tenon ending in the neck pocket? I thought the "set-thru" joint extended further than that - cool to see it'll get the tonality of a set-neck and not a neck-thru in that case!

Do you not like the thicker body? It should be about as thick as that Jackson on the edges. I was surprised at how beefy my M-I was, when I first got it, so I understand the shock. :lol:

There was a time that I would drool over that guitar but now I just can't stand that abalone binding...it's too much.
Schecter is also obsessed with it and it ruins most of their guitars in my opinion.

Either way, congrats on your new guitar. I know it's an incredible feeling each time you get a new guitar. Just a few days to get mine...can't wait.

Nice dude! I have an h-500 which I think is pretty much the same guitar minus the fancy binding and with cheaper hardware. I just got around to swapping the 85 in the neck for an 81, the 85 was way to muddy for that position. I've been curious about the 81TW, so I'm looking forward to hearing your shootout!

Looks sick. Don't think the ivory EMG matches by any stretch of the imagination, but to each his own

Is that tenon ending in the neck pocket? I thought the "set-thru" joint extended further than that - cool to see it'll get the tonality of a set-neck and not a neck-thru in that case!

Do you not like the thicker body? It should be about as thick as that Jackson on the edges. I was surprised at how beefy my M-I was, when I first got it, so I understand the shock. :lol:

Well the ivory matches the binding, and with the bridge, strings, and a neck pickup on there I think it'll look better (but anyway, I like it :D). And yeah, it's a great design for the neck joint, there's practically no heel at all, and now that you mention it, the Jackson is actually 1/8" thicker, but it felt totally comfy the moment I picked it up - guess it's the forearm cut that makes such a difference (which would look like crap on a carved top body, of course, so I'm sure I'll adjust to the LTD!)

And yeah, I too have always felt the abalone was a bit too gaudy, but I can live with it since it's on such a well-made guitar! :headbang:

Nice dude! I have an h-500 which I think is pretty much the same guitar minus the fancy binding and with cheaper hardware. I just got around to swapping the 85 in the neck for an 81, the 85 was way to muddy for that position. I've been curious about the 81TW, so I'm looking forward to hearing your shootout!

Yeah man, the 85 can be cool in the bridge, but I honestly have never liked it in the neck position, the 81 is definitely always my favorite pup there (perfect amount of cut without being thin/shrill like the 60 IMO) - and I won't have an 81 to compare to the 81TW unfortunately, but fortunately Mark/MetalJonesy took care of that in this thread, which motivated me to get the latter!

it's a great design for the neck joint, there's practically no heel at all

And yeah, I too have always felt the abalone was a bit too gaudy, but I can live with it since it's on such a well-made guitar! :headbang:

Yeah, the no heel thing is what I love, and I just don't like neck-thru's from a tonal perspective compared to setnecks.

The abalone really isn't bad on the amber ones, especially once you get the covered pickups the fuck out of there, and it starts looking like a guitar and not an exhibit.

Yeah man, the 85 can be cool in the bridge, but I honestly have never liked it in the neck position, the 81 is definitely always my favorite pup there (perfect amount of cut without being thin/shrill like the 60 IMO) - and I won't have an 81 to compare to the 81TW unfortunately, but fortunately Mark/MetalJonesy took care of that in this thread, which motivated me to get the latter!

I put the 85 from the LTD's neck in a cheap schecter I recently bought, which sounded kind of thin, so it worked out nicely.

I missed the forearm cut when I first switched to the LTD, my arm would actually hurt were it rested on the guitar after playing, but I got used to it really fast

Thanks Harry, and I really like the neck, it's thicker than the Ibanez (which was absurdly thin, honestly I find I prefer the necks on their cheaper models because they're thicker) but nowhere near Schecter levels - I've always been a huge ESP/LTD fan, so happy to have another! :headbang:

And even though I suppose many don't, I really dig the headstock :cool:

Looks awesome dude! I have a MH-1000 and I love it, I'm getting a H-1001 too this summer, probably the dark cherry one. I was hesitating between that and a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser.