goregrind

I only liked Ghoul's first album, really.

I doubt that was the sole reason why Razorback dropped Ghoul but I know for a fact they didn't like their latest album.

I do remember reading a blog (or maybe it was a post on a blog) by Billy saying how he didn't like the whole surf image thing (because he claims surfers are practically like jocks and have nothing to do with horror). If I come across the blog I'll post it.

Someone should mention Regurgitate.

Odd that goregrind stays here but crust gets sent to nonmetal. :confused:

Ghoul was dropped because they had that whole surf image thing on their last album.
Lame, that surf/death combo was fresh and fun, worked great in a 1960s horror movie context, and made for one of the better albums to come out last year.

Goregrind is made metal by the inclusion of death metal-styled riffs and drum patterns (though it deviates from death metal due to shorter and more compact song structures, usually). Crust is often straight punk, but can be metal(ish). If someone made a crust recommendation thread here, I would not delete it, but the main board has stricter rules about threads, content-wise.

Ghoul were never goregrind at all, and the only song I ever recall liking from them was Ghoul Hunter (great song!), so best to now keep discussion on goregrind. Regurgitate have always been 2nd tier to me. Check out some of the stuff listed in my post, you might find that a lot of it oozes atmosphere (C.U.M., Squash Bowels, N.C.C.) or is extremely sophisticated (Lymphatic Phlegm, Blue Holocaust) compared to most of the genre.

One I forgot that I really am kicking myself over is Neuro-Visceral Exhumation's Mass Murder Festival. This has a bit of a crust feel, coincidentally, and nicely integrates a punk influence into goregrind (where it is conspicuously usually absent).

Someone should mention Regurgitate.

Odd that goregrind stays here but crust gets sent to nonmetal. :confused:

Lame, that surf/death combo was fresh and fun, worked great in a 1960s horror movie context, and made for one of the better albums to come out last year.

I liked Splatterthrash when it first came out. I can't stand it now. It's an interesting combination of styles but I find it just a bit too cheesy.

Goregrind and crust are both punk/metal hybrids, some bands are metal and some are not which is why I don't see the difference between the two.

Isn't cheese/humour the major theme present in goregrind? Bodies Lay Broken, Foetopsy, Lymphatic Phlegm, etc. are all pretty awash in the goregrind sense of humour, aren't they? The local scene here at least is composed of party/fun bands.

Doesn't goregrind require certain themes? I've never heard NCC referred to as this style.

HEMDALE might be the best fucking band ever. everyone listen to them now.

Goregrind and crust are both punk/metal hybrids, some bands are metal and some are not which is why I don't see the difference between the two.

Isn't cheese/humour the major theme present in goregrind? Bodies Lay Broken, Foetopsy, Lymphatic Phlegm, etc. are all pretty awash in the goregrind sense of humour, aren't they? The local scene here at least is composed of party/fun bands.

Doesn't goregrind require certain themes? I've never heard NCC referred to as this style.

Goregrind is goregrind. It is fast music in a distinctly grind style with a lot of pervading death metal influence. Humor is not required (I really don't know why you would think this...?). Goregrind doesn't require certain themes, it requires a certain sound. Squash Bowels' song titles on The Mass Rotting...The Mass Sickening are most certainly not "gory" (Life Business, When Memories Came Back, Childhood) but that album is DEFINITELY goregrind (and very good goregrind at that).

Goregrind is goregrind. It is fast music in a distinctly grind style with a lot of pervading death metal influence.
So what's the distinction between goregrind and deathgrind?

Humor is not required (I really don't know why you would think this...?).
I don't know if it's required, just that it's a major theme. There's a certain goregrind sense of humour that many of the bands, including most of the ones you mentioned, follow.

Goregrind doesn't require certain themes, it requires a certain sound. Squash Bowels' song titles on The Mass Rotting...The Mass Sickening are most certainly not "gory" (Life Business, When Memories Came Back, Childhood) but that album is DEFINITELY goregrind (and very good goregrind at that).
:confused: This is your idea of a goregrind album without gore themes? Never mind the band and album title...

r6815041188414274la9.jpg

Goregrind is goregrind. It is fast music in a distinctly grind style with a lot of pervading death metal influence. Humor is not required (I really don't know why you would think this...?). Goregrind doesn't require certain themes, it requires a certain sound. Squash Bowels' song titles on The Mass Rotting...The Mass Sickening are most certainly not "gory" (Life Business, When Memories Came Back, Childhood) but that album is DEFINITELY goregrind (and very good goregrind at that).

:lol: How can a band be goregrind and not have gore themes? I think the genre is pretty pointless to begin with. Kind of like pagan and viking metal which are useful when describing lyrical themes but not being actual genres.

hemdale is pretty good, i like NCC's stuff, general surgery is also pretty good.