Goth Rock

Thoth-Amon

Hypochondriac
Apr 4, 2006
Any fans? I love the Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhuas, Christian Death (thanks Vossyrous!), et al.
What are your thoughts. :saint:

Never given it much of a chance because as of hearing the bigger bands (like The Cure and Sisters of Mercy) I was kinda put off.

later Katatonia
some Type O Negative maybe

I'm not even sure if you could classify those as goth rock, but they come the closest.

I haven't heard later Katantonia... I've never seen them categorized as anything outside of metal though.
Type O Negative is a strange beast though... sort of a Doom/Goth/Hardcore hybrid. Awesome band but I wouldn't categorize them as goth... rather Goth Metal.

Hardcore? lolwut

So many people on this forum seem to label stuff as HC but seem to have no idea what real HC is actually like. :p

I haven't heard later Katantonia... I've never seen them categorized as anything outside of metal though

The latest one isn't really THAT metal. Viva Emptiness definitely has tons off metal moments though. I'd get anything from Tonight's Decision to The Great Cold Distance if you want to hear new Katatonia

you must listen to jacula, it's a italian proggressive band with a lot of gothic elements... i recomend magister dixit or in cauda semper stat venenum songs, you can find them in youtube

Hardcore? lolwut

So many people on this forum seem to label stuff as HC but seem to have no idea what real HC is actually like. :p

You're right I'm no expert on hardcore... but you can blame TON themselves as they say that they incorporate hardcore/punk elements into their music. Many of their songs have very punky parts.

I'm not too familiar with goth rock, but I've heard a few bands with at least a few great songs:

Darling Violetta
Sunshine Blind
Inkubus Sukkubus

Mors Syphilitica is also an amazing ethereal wave band.

And of course Type O Negative fucking owns.

:lol:

It does kind of look like it could mean "death by syphilis", though I have no idea why they would name themselves that.

Anyway, just go to their last.fm page and listen to "My Virgin Widows" and "Ungrateful Girl". Amazing fucking music.

:lol:

It does kind of look like it could mean "death by syphilis", though I have no idea why they would name themselves that.

Anyway, just go to their last.fm page and listen to "My Virgin Widows" and "Ungrateful Girl". Amazing fucking music.

Yeah it's highly unlikely that they would name their band name, after Syphilis. I checked out their last.fm, and they've got an album called Primrose so it could have something to do with flowers or nature, proper scientific names or whatever.

But regarding bands like these, it's not that I have anything against them but I don't see what is "gothic" about them. A lot of these elegant, ethereal, symphonic bands with cleanly sung female vocals. Aside from some lyrical themes, I just don't get it...:loco:

Especially with metal, I can see gothic metal bands being those who are influenced by gothic music, but also as well as those who are influenced by gothic subjects (while not necessarily influenced by gothic music) but I don't see how an entire genre of metal can be so misleading.

But regarding bands like these, it's not that I have anything against them but I don't see what is "gothic" about them. A lot of these elegant, ethereal, symphonic bands with cleanly sung female vocals. Aside from some lyrical themes, I just don't get it...:loco:

Well, I wouldn't say that music has to be so overtly dark and morbid as, say, Paradise Lost to be considered gothic. Romance is also a key aspect of gothic art. A band like Mors Syphilitica is very intensely romantic, yet I don't think that makes them any less gothic - the morbidity is still there.

Well, I wouldn't say that music has to be so overtly dark and morbid as, say, Paradise Lost to be considered gothic. Romance is also a key aspect of gothic art. A band like Mors Syphilitica is very intensely romantic, yet I don't think that makes them any less gothic - the morbidity is still there.

Meh, I guess I wasn't trying to refer to them - romance is definitely an aspect. It's just that people often (almost automatically) associate bands (though mainly in metal) with female vocalists to be gothic.

Deathcamp Project's new album Well-known Pleasures has apparently been released. Based on the album teaser on their myspace, should be a good album. :)

Deathcamp Project myspace