Great band - SYMPHORCE -

R

rebirth

SYMPHORCE
Twice Second
Metal Blade

As with all of the work of vocalist Andy B. Franck within Symphorce, the latest Symphorce CD "Twice Second" is a grower and not an immediate pleasure. While his Brainstorm material may be much more immediate, Symphorce is the type of band that takes enough subtle changes that they still need to be digested in multiple listens.

The slightly progressive leanings still remain, and at times the background vocal loops can become a bit annoying. Nevertheless, these heavier progressive elements have a bit of a Dream Theater feel to them as witnessed on "In The Cold".

"Tears" sounds like it could have been a missing track from Queensryche's "Operation: Mindcrime" especially courtesy of the guitar sounds provided by Cedric Dupont. "Whatever Hate Provides" finds Franck in vocal company with Nevermore's Warrel Dane and thus the song as well has a Nevermore vibe to it (something you do not hear very often). This feel extends throughout the disc in places, most notably on "Cause Of Laughter".

Symphorce virtually wonders into thrash territory on "Face The Pain", which is the heaviest song on the disc. "Two Seconds To Live" comes across as an earlier Nevermore track as well. Franck possesses a coarse, aggressive vocal ability, albeit still clean without relying on gruff-death vocals. Bonus track "Under The Curse" sounds remotely familiar, perhaps a King Diamond/Mercyful Fate track?

Technically, Symphorce has reached the upper-echelon heavywieghts such as Nevermore with the heavy metal genre. Sans sample overuse, "Twice Second" is a complex work to discern and after multiple listens, well worth the time invested.

Track Listing:
Fallen
Tears
Whatever Hate Provides
Cause Of Laughter
In The Cold
Take What's Mine
Face Of Pain
Searching
Two Seconds To Live
Cry On My Shoulder
Under The Curse

I bought this cd a couple weeks back at best buy out of impulse...glad I did. I was so impressed, that afterwards I went to another cd store cause best buy didn't have what I originally went for and saw another symphorce cd (phorcefull ahead) so I bought that one as well. Really great band.