Great bands to discover

You know, i'm glad you have been in therapy long enough to get over that oh-so-important roadblock of "i need my musical tastes validated by some jackass who lives in Olympia". Seriously, you have made awesome progress.

No, the difference between myself and you, as well as many of your esteemed progsnob buddies (i know not all progsnobs are progmetalfan's buddys. Don't email me) is i have a sense of humor. You are right. I put out the "mars volta is bullshit" because i wanted a response. Congratulations bud, you figured out my big secret. The thing is, you did the exact same, so saying i have no creativity is like the pot calling the kettle black (or some such metaphor).

Well, anyway, i love a good internet arguement as much as the next person, but i also love sleep. if you think this is me backing down, go for it. If it makes your life better and your self-esteem baloon fill up with just an eeeeeeensie weeeeeensie bit more air, i wish you the best. The truth is, unlike you have shown, i could give 2 shits about this whole thing. This is entertainment to me, not an arguement. This is fun watching you get so rialed up over an oppinion of some guy who's sitting at his computer at 2 in the morning instead of getting some much needed sleep.

No. Pizza. Then sleep.

Oh, and i don't need my sense of humor validated by progmetalfan :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you guys done yet so we can get back to learning about new bands?

I don't see why The Mars Volta being a bad live band has anything to do with how great their studio disc is. It's all the layered stuff that I hear in the disc that keeps me reaching for another listen. I could see how a noisey live environment would make that impossible to hear plus losing one of it's members even adds to live problem.

Either way I'm highly recommending them for anyone who wants to hear something unique.

The odyssey,

Any information how the new Susperia disc is different from their last offering Vindication? There are some good things about Vindication but they didn't seem to offer anything that would make me want to buy another disc. Why are you so excited about it?

Thanks....

You know, for the longest time I have been unable to make any new sort of post. Some kind of error on the page. Can't figure out what the problem could be. Only can reply. Seeing how I usually post info about new bands that I find, with hardly any responses ever, it doesn't seem like many people share my diverse taste. Sorry for not only liking the same damn band (with just a different name) over and over and over. Madsword have some good music and they are talented, but they are like a dozen other bands I (and you) have heard before. Same thing with that Circus Maximus (I think I spelled that right) band. Try and embrace some difference.

What a ramble/rant from the original topic

But now, onto the topic!

Definitely not a new band but one I just got into.

King's X - almost every one of their albums are different, while still remaining somewhat recognizable. I have two discs of theirs (and waiting for the third). The album "Dogman" is excellent - melding blues, some funk, and hard rock altogether with really soulful singing. Definitely one of my best purchases this year, which is saying a lot. The other one "Please Come Home...Mr. Bulbous" is kind of weird and a lot of the lyrics are gibberish, but again the singing is good and so is the music. You won't be able to prevent yourself from singing "I'm in a fish bowl, I'm a fish bowl man."

Psychotic Waltz - they have been mentioned before on this thread, but I want to emphasize that their earlier albums like "A Social Grace" and "Mosquito" are superior to "Bleeding"

Textures - The love child of Meshuggah and Darkane. Awesome technical thrashy stuff and awesome vocal delivery (too bad the guy left)

http://www.texturesband.com

Winds - I give their newest album "The Imaginary Direction of Time" number two on my discs of the year award. Not classically influenced metal, this is classical type music and metal together, making quite a unique listening experience. Every musician is tight and the singer sounds much better on this album. The lyrics are charged philisophically and make it quite interesting to apply your own interpretation to the text.

Orphaned Land - Newest album - "Mabool" brilliant album and my number one for the year. Zach gives a good review over at abrasiverock.com

Devil in the Kitchen - I had a post on this before, but not too many people seemed to respond, or they just don't care for it. Come on, who doesn't like speed thrash/folk?

www.devilinthekitchen.com

Riverside - a new band who's album is coming out on Laser CD's label. Really cool lush atmospheric stuff. You can go to www.lasercd.com and download the song called "Loose Heart"

Hourglass - came out with a new album recently called "Subconscious" really great prog rock.

http://www.hourglassband.com/

After Forever - came out with an amazing album called "Invisible Circles" and you would do yourself an injustice by not buying it. Female (perhaps the best female singer today in my opion) fronted prog/power band with some death vocals. I give them the award for best songwriters of the year.

and of course everyone needs to know

Freak Kitchen - www.freakkitchen.com
With lyrics like
6am just woke up drunk
There is a woman by my side
Who is she?
And where am I?
And why are my hands tied?

Yeah Freak Kitchen rules. My favorite album of theirs is their self titled - it probably also is their strangest.

I'll add some to the list:
Agalloch
Arena
Into Eternity
Dark Tranquility
Blackfield
Eternity X
The Flower Kings
Green Carnation
IQ
Marillion
Mostly Autumn
Spock's Beard
Transatlantic

@liquid tension:

1) Yes, i'm done :D
2) Mars Volta just doesn't cut it for me. I am one who beleves that studio efforts don't really mean much if a band can't pull it off live. For example, Priest is a band who's studio albums, while good, sound a little mechanical and uninspired, but when they bring it to the stage it just kicks major ass. Mars Volta's album didn't sound too promising for me, but live they tried to hard and failed so bad. I wasn't the only one who disliked them, and i don't really give two rats asses if that's not a good explanation.
3) Susperia is not for everyone. Huge change since vindication. They lost most of their black metal influences (now they are only there in leads and melodies), but the music is total thrash with thrash/death vox that change a lot. There are so many different vocal styles on this album. I admit, that though some songs are goddamn amazing, about half are just good, solid metal tracks with nothing so special other than they have no downtimes. The reason why this album is good is because there is not a single moment on the album that makes me want to skip or turn it off, and i cannot say that about any other album this year aside from the new Amon Amarth. Musically, look to newer Testament (low/the gathering). Not a direct rip-off in any sense, but in the style of.

SoulofIce (or anyone else): For the winds review, click here. Orphaned Land is another one of the better discs on this side of 03.

I second After Forever. MATT! I KNOW YOU LIKE EPICA, BUT EPICA IS A RIP-OFF OF AFTER FOREVER! CHECK OUT THE ORIGINAL BAND!!

*note* Epica is a band that was formed after Mark Jansen left After Forever (which i believe was his band to begin with) for whatever reason. So Epica is formed by the same guy, so the similarities are easily forgiven. I still think it's funny that the layout for Epica's "Phantom Agony" disc is exactly a mix of elements from the Decipher and Prison of Desire albums by After Forever, just red instead of blue or green.

Torture Squad - a Death/Thrash metal, very tecnical and full of melody. It isn't like Children of Bodom, is toooooo much more brutal, but they mix Old School Death Metal with Thrash and Heavy Metal... it's a brasilian band, and they ate bether than Sepultura and Krisim togheter... hehehehe

turke said:
I dont know if you already know them, but if you dont,...

Mind's Eye ( www.roundrec.com )
Pain of Salvation ( www.painofsalvation.com )
Enchant ( www.theoasis.cc )
Evergrey ( www.evergrey.net )
Andromeda ( http://www.andromedaonline.com )
Symphony X ( www.symphonyx.com )
Vanden Plas ( www.vandenplas.de )
Dali's Dillema
Stonehenge
Everon ( www.everon.de )
Lemur Voice ( now departed, guitarist's new band is "Sun Caged")
Sun Caged ( www.suncaged.com )
Freak Kitchen ( www.freakkitchen.com )
Pagan's Mind ( www.pagansmind.com )
Circus Maximus(www.circusmaximussite.com) Yeah baby! Yeah!
Street talk ( www.streettalk.rocks.it )
Last tribe ( http://www.lasttribe.net )
Hubi Meisel ( www.hubimeisel.com )
7 Months ( www.7months.com )
Deacon Street
iona ( www.iona.uk.com )
Forgotten Suns ( www.cdbaby.com "search for it")
Timescape ( www.cdbaby.com "search for it")
Xinema ( www.xinemaworld.com )
Odd Logic ( www.cdbaby.com "search for it")
Atisha ( www.cdbaby.com "search for it")
Stramonio ( www.stramonio.com )
Loch Vostok ( www.cdbaby.com "search for it")
Pyramaze ( www.pyramaze.com )
Ronan Hardiman ( www.ronanhardiman.com )

Just adding the link to our website next to our name.... :wave:

Ever since I finally got my copy of the new Winds album I have been pushing anyone who hasn't heard them into giving them a listen. Winds is definately a unique sounding band.......I like how every song has tons of piano and violins and the driving bass and vox just keep it at a real mellow sound. The new Orphaned Land I have had awhile now and yes it is quite awesome! I am also glad that others have learned of Madsword, while they have been discussed on this board a few times before I guess many people just didn't look at those threads......too bad that they are no longer around. One last thing......I would like to recommend an album that is not only from back in 1998, but the band just kind of dissappeared after releasing this first album. The band is called Eniac Requiem, and the album is called Space Eternal Void. You can get it at lasercd, that is where I got it. It isn't really too unique but is just good musicianship and good keyboard atmosphere and excellent vox as well. That is my two cents for now.