Great Interview with Ed for the Beeenchanted.com

Sevlar

Brazillian Fan
Sep 15, 2002
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Hi dudes,

It's a honor an pleasure to share with you all the great interview that I made with Ed some weeks ago, hope you like it.

Ed: Many thanks once more man, you are one of the best guys out there.

Tomorrow the Interview will be translated to portuguese at www.beenchanted.com, check it out.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So let's start,

First, it is an immense pleasure to me do this interview, therefore I admire a lot the band, the proposal and the musicians of the band.

Thank you Marco very much for doing it! It is my pleasure to do it because you are so into the band and the questions are good ones too! Thanks

Let's start by the most recent facts.

How is playing live again in a big tour?

Well this tour was incredible for many reasons,

First it was special because it had been some time since the band had even been on tour, since 98 for Ted and Doug and 97 for me. And the first one for Sean and Bill.

Also it was not just another tour but Inside Outs 10th anniversary tour. Being out with Spocks Beard and the California Guitar Trio made it even better!

Inside Out (our record company) did a great job with this tour, the crew and entire party was the best! Everyone had a wonderful time and worked together very well. I think it will be something we will all remember forever and a great time.

our crew was incredible taking care of us so we could just play and do our jobs without worrying about other things!

Hey being out with this group playing live is the best! When you look out and see people affected so deeply by the music and so into it makes you feel really good to know they really love it! I think the band was more confident and played better than ever! We had so much fun onstage together as well nothing really seemed to matter outside of being in that time and place!

It was like you could not wait to hit the stage every single night! All the bands and crew were really behind each other and loved the music so that made it so great!

What did you find of the new album's tour? The reaction of the audiences was the expected?

The music from Tug was very well received, we played Sinking Sand and Comatose every night and they went over very well! We played Progtology as well which was a lot of fun.

To be really honest we were not sure what the response would be after not being over there for so long. But we saw so many people from the previous tours and some good friends we have not seen in a very long time! That made it extra special for me personally!

And we were very happy with the response! The Audiences were really great! They were very into it, some more nights than others of course but all the shows were great.

This last European tour with the Guitar California Trio and the Spocks Beard should have been incredible. How was divide the stage with those bands?

It was really nice, especially because of the other two bands and the great crew! Lots of characters all different! That made it great too! I think it was one of the best possible combinations of bands! I great recipe for certain!

CG3 are unbelievable, virtuosos, and great guys! I am a HUGE fan of the band! They really liked our music as well; it was really great inspiration hearing them play before us every night! It really got us going! Especially when Ted and Nick would come out and sing the end section of Bohemian Rhapsody with them! That was cool.

Spocks Beard are just unreliable musicians and people, they really are pros and put on a great show night in and out! I think we are all HUGE Spocks fans as well. Very inspiring to see such talent and hear such great music every night. All bands were very supportive and into the others music and that was the best thing of all! It really brought everyone together.

As I read in the official forum of the band, and from several sites in the internet, the shows were very exciting, for instance, when Ted sang the music What to Say. What were the high points of the shows to you?

That’s a tough question because there were so many high points!

We had two alternate sets we played but mixed them up at times, we played an altered set in Bochum that ended up being my favorite one that was another high point! The Zeche is a cool place and was packed! My best gig for sure and after watching back on tape the others as well I think? We were like little kids having a blast up there that night.

Affshaunesnburg was another high point! The crowd was unbelievable! London was a huge surprise as well; the response we received there blew us away! What a great audience!

And we had never played there and had no idea what to expect? The final moments of Spocks Beards set Nick called everyone up on stage to just hang together at the end of Go the Way you Go bands crew members everyone! It was a perfect ending for such a great tour! As far as the music goes Sinking Sand was maybe the most fun night in and out! The end section is really tough but so fun to play!

What to Say and Comatose are both very emotional pieces! And were difficult to play most nights! Especially Comatose! I tried not to lose it during Doug’s solo when he put so much heart and soul into it! That was a definite high point for me every night! Ted nailed that one as well as What to Say! We did not play What to Say every night but when we did it was great too. Oasis was a lot of fun! That’s one where you just go for it! Doug and I pushed each other during Bills solo every night which was pretty cool, like kids again, doing what you love to do!

Some of the high points of just being in the moment you love so much with your best friends, which are the other members of Enchant for me.

Included for me, grooving with Sean when I could get over near him behind his set, he was solid as hell every night playing his ass off! His playing was so incredible to me and made my job so much fun! Rocking out next to Bills and seeing his face and reaction to the audience’s great responses! Especially for him being out doing this for the first time as well! Watching Ted sing his heart out and the way he interacted with the crowd! One night he appeared in the crowd during Oasis and we had no idea where he was! That was cool! Ted is an amazing talent and hearing him sing live is a treat for anyone! And especially being onstage with Doug after all this time and everything we have been through! We were just like kids! I thought of the first time we ever sat down to play Guitars when we were boys dreaming of being able to do exactly this someday! And here we were again!

What kind of goodies, and news can we expect about the future? There will be a Live CD or a DVD? Please let us know!

At the moment we are preparing to play our “first ever” Headlining two hour live DVD show. This will take place in March on the 13th in Oakland California at imusicast. We will be playing a live show that will be recorded and videotaped while it goes out over the net to everyone who can not make it to the Bay Area for the show! The plan is to release it in 2004 and then go back over to Europe as headliners playing a TWO HOUR show! We are hoping to do that in late May this year. The next studio disc will probably be recorded later in the year in the fall or winter of 2004. We have some live playing to do after not playing live for so long! We are looking into a bunch of festivals and US dates as well. Maybe more short tours like long weekends so we don’t have to be out on the road as much for extended periods of time. We are also going to re-release Break which is out of print which may possibly have a bonus track we recorded during that period that did not make the disc. We are also working on more merchandise including tour shirts etc.

Which equipment do you use to play live?

We will have a gear page on the website soon but for now.

When we travel to Europe we usually rent some additional gear or share with the other bands. Especially Drums and big cabs. Doug Ted and I brought some rack stuff and our guitars and Sean brought some gear including cymbals. Bill had it easy just bring a lap top and a few chips, his boards were rented.

Sean plays a Tama Star classic at home and I am not sure what cymbals and sticks he uses? He used Jimmy Keegans Ayote rented kit this time but he did bring his own cymbals.

I brought my Kubicki Factor Bass as always and my Fender Jazz (Geddy Bass) and used a Trace Elliot AH500 head running two Tech 4x12 cabinets. Dave Meros used the same rig and cabs after his Eden blew up the third to last show. I run a BBE sonic maximixer, a Sans Amp and a Chorus unit for effects.

I use a Mesa Boogie Basis 2000 amp at home through similar effects; I am going to be getting a Line 6 Bass Pro soon as well. I will have the new rig for the DVD show in Oakland using the same two Tech 4x12 cabinets

Doug brought his two Custom Anderson guitars along but has many more at home including Les Paul’s and Strats. I think he played Marshall Heads and cabs; Ted used a Line 6 amp and has a Fender Strat and a new Anderson as well. Ted uses an acoustic device on certain pieces, I am not sure of all the effects used by Ted and Doug, there are quite a few.

Now you have a new member onboard. What can you tell about him in studio and playing live with you guys?

Bill has been great. He did a really good job on the record and live. We are really lucky to have found such an amazing musician and person to complete the final piece of the Enchant puzzle. Bill has an incredible ear and feels for his instrument. He fits right in on a personal level with us also and has a great sense of humor as well which is a very good thing?

What is the main difference of the Enchant that played in the NearFest and the actual Enchant ?

Bill is the biggest difference, he was not with the band yet when we played Nearfest. A very good friend of ours Mark Blasquez played boards at Nearfest. Mark is really a guitarist and plays little boards but saved the day doing a great job learning the parts in a short time frame! We also had not played in some time together; it was also Sean’s very first gig with us and my first show in over 5 years. It was a bit nervous. This tour was a very confident and tight Enchant that could not wait to hit the stage every night! Nearfest was a tough show. To answer your question, this was a complete line up for the first time in a long time.

Tug Of War received many good grades, reviews and comments around the world. Do you think that with this album?

I do, and even though I am always extra critical thinking each release could be much better. This one was more versatile than previous releases and we took some chances with new things which were kind of different. Tug of War was difficult to do under tight deadlines and some tough circumstances, I think we did a great job with this one we are very proud of it.

What do you think about MP3 and the Internet? How the band tries to get the best of the facility of the big net?

I think it is great if used the right way! Musicians can use this in a very positive way if done right! The big net is also very important for us having fans all over the world.

A very important and cool thing about the band is the proximity that you have with the fans you have and that posts on the official forum of the band. It is very important the way you interact with the fans. What is the importance of that forum for the band?

The forum is special to us because we really get to know the people who support us and talk to them. The feedback is very helpful and a lot of fun at times. We learn a lot of things from other avid music fans as well. We are very exited to meet many of these people next month at the show in Oakland; many are traveling a long way for this.

I really love the forum personally and post quite a bit. The interaction is just great for us with so many wonderful people. It is extra special to meet the people on tour in person after talking with them. I hope to meet as many people from the forum as possible in time as we play more shows. There are some very intelligent people and some really good posts that really help us. It truly does bring us closer to everyone who supports us and write in.

How is the composition process? What is the importance of each member in that process?

Doug has been the main writer over the years writing the majority of the music as well as lyrics. Ted writes a lot of lyrics as well and you will see more contributions from the rest of us in the future now that we are a complete band again. It truly does bring us closer together as a band when we create together and each person contributes. Every member has his contribution from his instrument or ideas what will make the song better with the arrangements.

So, as a Brazilian man, and as fan, what can South America, especially of Brazil, expect as good news on year that comes?

We would love to make it your way especially after seeing the Rush in Rio DVD J but we are so much smaller than them and as you know it takes a lot of money to make it to Brazil. I think we will have to sell a lot more dics or get lucky with supporting another band such as Marrillion? We will have to wait and see what happens in the future for us, but we really would love to make it to Brazil.

Anything you want to say man that is the moment.

Hmmmmmmmm in the moment I would just like to thank everyone that continues to support us including yourself Marco.

Ed I want to thank you for the patience and by the support as always.

It is my pleasure Marco.

I wish you an even better new year!

Thanks!

Great interview! One thing I noticed is when he was talking about Spock's Beard you put in the word "unrelaible" which I don't think you meant to put. Might be taken out of context...?

Anyways, it's great reading the members thoughts about Tug Of War. I just played it again recently after not having heard it and it really has aged well, it's a great album and especially hearing about the tour! They must've really had an awesome time over there.

Quote out of the interview:
"The plan is to release it in 2004 and then go back over to Europe as headliners playing a TWO HOUR show! We are hoping to do that in late May this year. The next studio disc will probably be recorded later in the year in the fall or winter of 2004."

:hotjump: :Spin: :hotjump:
Hey, these are so many great news, it makes me laugh and jump in the air (I wonder what my work colleagues think of me right now...)
So, I can stop crying about not being able to go to your March show (though it definitely still is very sad :cry: ) - but now I can look forward to some European dates in May - hooray!!! :hotjump: :Spin: :hotjump:

NP: My boss calling me back to work... :erk:

Sevlar said:
Hi dudes!!!

For the ones that dont know english very well and speak latin languages, this interview is already translated to portuguese at www.beenchanted.com
Marco

Hey buddy you might want to change the black fonts :loco: and thank you for doing this as well.

Also Heike that was the plan when I did this interview but things have changed a bit now. Nothing is for certain yet. As always, we may not be back over until a later date? we just don,t know yet? It all really depends at this point. Things change fast in this business as you all know.

Hey I think I wanted the word, unbelievable not unreliable! :D

Ed,

No problem man!!! The word will be changed!!! I tried to talk to you but as always you were so busy that I couldnt!!! ;)

Tks again man!
The people from South America loved the interview!!!!

ebass said:
Also Heike that was the plan when I did this interview but things have changed a bit now. Nothing is for certain yet. As always, we may not be back over until a later date? we just don,t know yet? It all really depends at this point. Things change fast in this business as you all know.

That's sad :cry: - but hey I'll keep my fingers crossed that we'll see each other again soon - this year at a headline tour of yours!!!
Anyway, I'll keep the word up high over here and hope that my begging will be heard by booking companies and venues :Spin:

Sevlar said:

Affshaunesnburg was another high point! The crowd was unbelievable! London was a huge surprise as well; the response we received there blew us away! What a great audience!

Hi Sevlar,

what a great interview! I really do like it and it sure was a big load of work to type it all out.

May I just mention that the word you put down as "Affshaunesnburg" is spelled correctly in the following way: "Aschaffenburg"? It's a terribly difficult name to pronounce. It's only a small town in the middle of Germany, but it's a very important town for me, because very many prog gigs do take place there. So you may correct it but you can also leave it the way it - I just wanted to let you know :Spin:

Blinking,

Many thanks man!!
I´ll check this out and correct it!!
But that city was mentioned by Ed, so a question is created on my mind:

Where was Ed before that show?? Drunk anywhere your and changed the name of the city???

Ed, come on man, let us know!!!

Just to make some tension in the forum! ;)))