Great moments in shred

schenkadere

Obey my dog!
Apr 24, 2005
NY
www.soundclick.com
This might be fun...see what you can find...or post something of your own.

I love Vinnie Moore...I've been a fan for years. I especially dig his playing now with UFO...adds some great blues elements...beautiful feel with just enough tasty flash...The Monkey Puzzle has some outstanding guitar work without being overly pretentious. I just got a personalized autographed pic from him as a Xmas gift from my bro. When we saw him earlier this year, he handed me his pick and then I handed him mine...it was funny. My bro contacted him and reminded him of it...he wrote "Mike, Thanks for the great pick." What a unique gift.

This one's cool too...it's Guthrie Govan playing in the style of many great players.

Isn't that entertaining? Maybe this will change J-Dubya's opinion of him...ha!

Question: Does anyone have Greg Howe's latest...what's the majority opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:
That Govan compilation slays. A few in there that I did not recognize.

For greatest guitar moments I'd have to pick the G3 with Yngwie and them playing Hendrix at the end and Friday Night in SanFrancisco with Paco, DiMeola and Mclaughlin. SRV in person set me back... hard, there are others and should be more but these three I mentioned would be hard to top for me.

Schenkadere I watched the vids you posted

Do any of you guys listen to Terje Rypdal? Great guitar player. Here's a funny and good video of him playing a duet medley with Ronni LeTekrø on some kind of Norwegian TV show. There's actually two drummers in this too. Great song too.

Lol! Look at the faces Tekrø (long hair) makes during his guitar solos and how that guy looks at the end clapping. :lol: Watch watch watch!

Schenkadere I watched the vids you posted

Do any of you guys listen to Terje Rypdal? Great guitar player. Here's a funny and good video of him playing a duet medley with Ronni LeTekrø on some kind of Norwegian TV show. There's actually two drummers in this too. Great song too.

Lol! Look at the faces Tekrø (long hair) makes during his guitar solos and how that guy looks at the end clapping. :lol: Watch watch watch!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SqKxo72Ujc[/youtube]

You're post isn't showing the vid.

I found it.

Do those guys play on this classic?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPnGPIMUnus&feature=related[/ame]

No, not heaven...simply 1978 Finland...but I can't imagine there's much difference.:lol:

My girlfriend is crazy about Abba and other such wanky stuff, around here she gets a dose of progresive rock or metal and occasionally Im nice and play some old... less stressful rockers. I put on the smooth jazz for other purposes..... but the likes of Abba shall never echo through my halls.

:lol:

My top 10:

1. Eruption - Eddie Van Halen (started it all)
2. Race with the devil on a spanish highway - Al Dimeola (the start of the neo classical movement)
3. Tibute Solo - Randy Rhodes - Bluesy, Classically Charged Shred Fury
4. Surfing With The Alien - Joe Satriani - Proof that even guitar players are great song writers and worthy of a grammy
5. Liberty - Steve Vai - The most amazing use of 5 part guitar harmonies EVER
6. Couldnt Stand The Weather - SRV - Blues is not dead my friend
7. Inside 4 Walls - Jeff Loomis (Nevermore) - Sickest use of Chromatics & Arpeggios ever
8. Lady Of The Snow - MJR (Symphony X) - The melody is one of the most beautiful things ever put to tape
9. Under A Glass Moon - John Petrucci (Dream Theater) - Every rock guitar technique you can think of is in this one and its not too over the top
10. Holy Wars - Megadeth - The most tasteful dual guitar solo ever

I just found this accidently searching Black Oak Arkansas on youtube. I didnt know Shawn Lane played with them or even went back that far. I guess this was 1979, so he at least predates Yngwies recording career by 4 years, I dont hear much classical but he sure is shreddin.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXADYMCreLg&feature=related[/ame]

Shawn Lane played cello as a child before switching to guitar in his later childhood. By the time he was 14-16 years old he could already play as good as he ever was. The drummer Jeff Sipe has quoted Shawn after he had asked "When are we going to practice?" and Lane's reply was "When we go up and play on stage, that's when we're going to practice!" To be honest I think, and this is just my opinion, that Shawn Lane is the most technically advanced electric guitar player (especially for his time when "shred" wasn't completely manifested). Him and Enver Izmailov, who plays the guitar in a fashion I've never seen done to that extent before.

And for those of you who haven't watched this, WATCH IT!

He probably did have all of his chops/speed together by his late teens....but his playing definitely got better over time, no question there. I think the video razor posted is more than sufficient enough to show that much. Unlike some, I really don't think he was in a class of his own, but I digress:)

I find it hard to believe the guy in my vid is the same guy in more recent vids. Thats unhealthy. He did pick up more techniques and ideas later. That vid of mine is just balls out note playing. I honestly played with a guy that had that natural shed/dexterity/syncopation skill. It was sickening and made me realize where I really stood as a guitar player. Sadly his ambition was second rate at best and he's wasted his inherently given skills.