UFO in San Francisco

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I'm just back from the UFO show here in SF; it was killer - way better than I expected even. Phil is in GREAT voice, especially for his age. Vinnie Moore is a bit shred-y for my tastes, but that detracted in no way from the overall effect, and it was pretty damned cool when they just cut him loose in a couple songs (Rock Bottom - Too Hot To Handle). He kept the sound retro (tone-wise) in the right places though. Also, Paul Raymond is left handed, I knew this...but he actually strings his guitar upside down, low strings on the bottom. I had no idea. Must be self taught or something. Weird, and cool. No Pete Way, as you might know, but that was no big deal to me. Still a KILLER show. So glad I went.
Phil was quite funny, I thought. He did a little Steve Marriot imitation that was dead on, basically straight from Rockin' the Fillmore...he made a bunch of other tongue in cheek jokes. Opening band was some reformed classic metal band called Ruffians that were quite good, but lyrics were all hopelessly 80s, with titles like, "Do or Die," and "Fight for your Right." They are from CA, so are basically local, but I don't think they were from the Bay Area. Very Maiden/Saxon NWOBHM.

The soundman did a dynamite job, simply pure class. Everything was audible, separated, just...the kind of sound one rarely hears at shows. Not over-loud either, which can be a problem in smaller venues.

Great, great show. Every time I put on a UFO album I remember they fucking rule; this show did nothing to change that fact. First time I've seen them, incidentally - long overdue.

Setlist (not in perfect order; I don't think I forgot anything):
Mother Mary
Long Gone
Hard Being Me
Pushed to The Limit
This Kids
Only You Can Rock Me
Ain't No Baby
Heavenly Body
Baby Blue
Too Hot To Handle
Lights Out
Love to Love
Rock Bottom
Doctor Doctor
Shoot Shoot

I had my wife's iPhone in my pocket, so I snapped some photos too!

l_f48d9560e4af9d72ca0d6ae2346bf1e3.jpg

l_bb79832fdb1c8f92ebda1acd9fe384aa.jpg

l_f36a1c66e99908e735616444594ae31a.jpg

l_db7a997a4b2def16458d2ea33acbbaf2.jpg

l_2c142df10a10ef599026414ec069a5e4.jpg

Forgot to mention I ran into Phil Mogg on the street just as I was approaching the place. I thought to get a picture, but balked.

As much as I like UFO, and I even like Vinnie Moore too, I would pass on this, although what you wrote about using the right retro sounds in spots might make me reconsider....

Well, it was cool for me because I'd never seen them. People who saw them in their prime, or at least who've seen them with more original members might not like it as much.

Well, it was cool for me because I'd never seen them. People who saw them in their prime, or at least who've seen them with more original members might not like it as much.

Oh, I totally understand that! Glad you got to see them, who knows how many more tours ol' Moogy has left in him (hopefully quite a few!) Saw them just after Schenker bailed (Saxon opened), and then twice during the reunion tour for Walk On Water. UFO minus Schenker just doesn't work well for me, although I will give props to Vinnie for being an amazing guitarist.

Now, I would pay quite a lot to see them open for Saxon in the Heyday. Phil is 60 now, so you are right about there not being too very many more tours. For his age, he sings amazingly well.

I was going to attend their stop in Phoenix a week or so ago, but after watching the Showtime DVD I can see they've lost a step. Phil Mogg doesn't even TRY to hit the high notes. He just drops everything an octave, which I understand, but doesn't cut it for me. Those UFO songs sounded SO MUCH STRONGER on the Michael Schenker Group World Wide Live DVD with a younger singer.

Still, glad you finally got to see them Wiz! I'm still half-assed regretting not going. I just hate risking driving home with a buzz in Maricopa County where Sheriff Joe rules with the iron hand of a true Nazi.

I was going to attend their stop in Phoenix a week or so ago, but after watching the Showtime DVD I can see they've lost a step. Phil Mogg doesn't even TRY to hit the high notes. He just drops everything an octave, which I understand, but doesn't cut it for me. Those UFO songs sounded SO MUCH STRONGER on the Michael Schenker Group World Wide Live DVD with a younger singer.

Still, glad you finally got to see them Wiz! I'm still half-assed regretting not going. I just hate risking driving home with a buzz in Maricopa County where Sheriff Joe rules with the iron hand of a true Nazi.

The Schenker DVD is great isn't it?! I'm curious to hear for myself. The Showtime DVD is good, I must admit Jason Bonham stole the show....

The Schenker DVD is great isn't it?! I'm curious to hear for myself. The Showtime DVD is good, I must admit Jason Bonham stole the show....

I'm addicted to that Schenker DVD. The sound on that concert is great, and the performance top-notch. One of my top-ten dvd concerts I think. Just awesome...

I agree on the Showtime DVD too...Jason seemed like the only one with any energy left.

I'm addicted to that Schenker DVD. The sound on that concert is great, and the performance top-notch. One of my top-ten dvd concerts I think. Just awesome...

I saw that band live in California, they fucking smoked!!!! The DVD is a great way to relive that gig.

I agree on the Showtime DVD too...Jason seemed like the only one with any energy left.

And now he's gone!!!!!

The show must have been awesome, Wyz. Glad you had the chance to see them. I, sadly, missed the local NY gig they played (or will play).

UFO is indeed one of the great bands - top tier for sure (although they've been wrongfully overlooked forever). :mad: (something of which i was guilty)