Great sounding recorded DI for match EQ template

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
I would be curious to get opinions on this.
I was re-amping some DI tracks that just didn't have bite or clarity so I plugged my Charvel So Cal with Tonezone into the LA-610 and recorded some DI then match EQed the bad DI and got superb results :)

My So Cal is an amazing guitar with attack and clarity like no other guitar I have recorded.
I am aware that the dynamic response cannot be "matched" but the overall EQ curve can.
Here is the So Cal DI with a couple of chugs then a big open chord.
https://copy.com/R9DWe6qKcCEUjxvV

If anyone has time, please match eq a DI track with this as the template and let me know how you get on.
***To anyone who has a go at this, please post a screen grab of the match EQ curve and what pickups are in your guitar and what DI input you are using.***
This is what I ended up with when I matched the dull DI to this.
Screen%20Shot%202014-06-12%20at%2012.02.28.png

Also, I tried all my DI inputs today and listened to the clean DI recordings.
Saffire Pro 24 - horrible mid range mush and dull highs.
API A2D - Fat mids but dull highs
BSS AR-133 - clean but easy to clip and pad lowers impedance leading to dull recorded sound. A Boss TU-2 acting as a buffer before the DI input made a huge difference (i have posted about this before)
Zoom G3 - really good bright and dynamic sound.
LA-610 - SUPERB !! lively and punchy with percussive mids and sparkly highs and punchy (non mushy) lows.

Maybe a noob question here but I'm not familiar with match eq at all... what plugin do you use to match eq guitar tone?

Maybe a noob question here but I'm not familiar with match eq at all... what plugin do you use to match eq guitar tone?

Logic has a match eq plugin.
There are plenty of them around.
Google will throw up lots of results.

Yes, I found some including Blue Cat's and Axis but some of them are certainly better than others. I also heard about Ozone. As I did not find free match eq plugins for PT/MAC yet, I prefer to get one that is recommanded by experimented users :)

Wow !
Matched is WAY better.
The original sounds like the tone is down on the guitar and is much muddier and less attack.
What pickup was on the guitar and what was the matched eq curve like?

How close are use-guys d.i curves when you analyse them, mine was pretty damn close to this one and there was no real noticeable difference after matching them (obviously)?

How close are use-guys d.i curves when you analyse them, mine was pretty damn close to this one and there was no real noticeable difference after matching them (obviously)?

What do you use for DI ?
This thread might be interesting for people to find out how good their DI inputs are.
My LA-610 was dramatically better than the pro 24, for example.
Obviously the guitar plays a huge part in the DI sound with the So Cal being extremely lively and dynamic.

To anyone who has a go at this, please post a screen grab of the match EQ curve and what pickups are in your guitar and what DI input you are using.

I think I did something stupid but I really really doubt that will do much difference. I should say the those clips are are different takes of the same song but it was done both in the same session, same guitars, pickups, guitar pick e.t.c Different takes will lead to small differences but again I really doubt that those differences are from small nuances of playing and the guitar player is me, so there arent 2 different guitar players!lol

So I will problably do another test with same take only. Just to clarify some doubts. The guitar is a ibanez s series with a duncan distortion. As for the curve eq, cant remember much!lol Its better to take a snapshot, but I saw that my DI is cutting some more high frequencies than yours. After all it´s a shitty toneport!lol

But if I am correct I might use your DI for matching my shitty DI´s in whole EP! :lol: :kickass:

I made myself look as a idiot! I did something very wrong, the diference is quite big because when I began matching your DI´s and my DI´s, I was matching a schecter with EMG´s but then I erased the DI´s because I wanted a better example for chugs and chords so I grab other DI´s but those DI´s were from a different guitar with different pickups and I forgot to match my DI´s again. So I dont did the match correctly for both DI´s.

Now after testing again, yes there is differences but not so audible as before. My mistake. So forget that test. :eek:

DI%20match.jpg

D.I used was a Vox Tonelab SE set t o"DI" not "amp" (all I have at home at the moment)
Guitar was Ibanez RG with Duncan Distortion

Does anyone care to upload a great bass DI for me to give a shot? My bass seems to be a bit crappier than most, so I would really love to try this out!

I think I've tried what all of you are trying right now. I took some bad DIs and matched them with some good DIs but did not get favorable results. Thing is, sometimes bad DIs are not always a result the interface but because of bad playing technique, old strings, or several other factors.