Problem with my DI Signal

Rasmus321

New Metal Member
Aug 28, 2014
www.facebook.com
Something seems to be wrong with my DI signal when tracking guitar.. I am using emg 81/85 pickups and my soundcard is focusrite scarlet 2i.
I have been trying to practice mixing downloading multitracks and I'm pretty satisfied with the result, but.. when I am recording with my own
guitar the di signal doesnt sound close to any of the di's ive been practicing mixing on. My di signal makes the distortion noisy,
lacking lowend and mids, really squeaky sounding.

Anyone got an idea of what the problem might be? I'll be linking to a sample of my di signal below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48392485/DI.wav

And this is an example of the di signals I have been mixing (wich someone else recorded)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48392485/DI%20Erra-%20Pulse.wav

Something seems to be wrong with my DI signal when tracking guitar.. I am using emg 81/85 pickups and my soundcard is focusrite scarlet 2i.
I have been trying to practice mixing downloading multitracks and I'm pretty satisfied with the result, but.. when I am recording with my own
guitar the di signal doesnt sound close to any of the di's ive been practicing mixing on. My di signal makes the distortion noisy,
lacking lowend and mids, really squeaky sounding.

Anyone got an idea of what the problem might be? I'll be linking to a sample of my di signal below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48392485/DI.wav

And this is an example of the di signals I have been mixing (wich someone else recorded)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48392485/DI%20Erra-%20Pulse.wav

I am searching for an interface to buy and the scarlett 2i1 was my first option. Then I read that it has a huge problem with clipping the signals even when you are using the instrument input and with the level knob of the interface turned all the way down. I can't tell with sure, but I think you are getting this problem. I am not experienced to this, so I can't tell you how to check the levels (peak, rms, I don't know which one would be more appropriated). Maybe some experienced member could help you (us),

Problem not with clipping (there is some slight clipping from interface), but with strange frequency response of EMGs (at least for me) in first example (unless some processing exists it this sample).

Your's does have a much sharper attack, but the DI you didn't do sounds like the strings are really old. I would compare different DIs and pre-eq to create a similar sound. Overall, I don't think its much of an issue if the DI recordings are cleanly done.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am having a similar problem which may in fact be the same thing.

My interface is a Presonus Audiobox 2x2 and occurs on all of my guitars and basses, although doesn't seem to occur with any of the single coils.

If I have the input gain on the interface on 0, the signal clips horribly. It is only really useable if I lower the volume on the instrument, which of course changes the tone.

I have managed to make it work with bass but if I try it with a guitar the signal just comes in too hot to use.

Any ideas?

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am having a similar problem which may in fact be the same thing.

My interface is a Presonus Audiobox 2x2 and occurs on all of my guitars and basses, although doesn't seem to occur with any of the single coils.

If I have the input gain on the interface on 0, the signal clips horribly. It is only really useable if I lower the volume on the instrument, which of course changes the tone.

I have managed to make it work with bass but if I try it with a guitar the signal just comes in too hot to use.

Any ideas?

Some interfaces are like this. You using active pickups? Does your interface have a PAD?

The interface has no pad unfortunately.

The pickups that are too hot are stock Ibanez bass pickups, DiMarzio Crunch Lab, Liqui-Fire, Mo' Joe and PAF Joe, EMG 81/85 and Seymour Duncan Hot Rails.

The ones that seem to work fine are stock DiMarzio IBZ single coils and stock Strat single coils.

So the only ones that are active are one of my bass sets and the EMGs.