Greatest Black Metal

Stock up on the classics.

Burzum - Filosofem
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice

I'd get Hvis Lyset Tar Oss instead of Filosofem, personally, but this is a very good list. ABITNS is a particularly key rec, probably the best album for getting into Darkthrone- plus, you like Celtic Frost, and that album has a LOT of Frost influence (listen to "In The Shadow Of The Horns" if you want a sample of what I mean). And yeah, that DSO album has pretty much become one of my all-time favs over the course of a few years, it's fantastic.

You may also like to check out Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, another stone-cold classic.

Craft - Fuck The Universe, one of my favorites and probably will remain so.

I know smiling isn't very grim and necro, but this album makes me grin from ear to ear.

Most people on the board hate this band, but you should check out Glorior Belli - Manifesting the Raging Beast. It's pretty awesome and an easy album to absorb. Everything else mentioned in the thread so far is totally worth listening to.

Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God, Memoria Vetusta

Wow, I was just about to download their other albums last night. I have those two albums on CD, but I never got around to listening to more of their stuff. I almost bought Odinist last time I bought a couple of CDs. Now I'm broke as shit, so much for that idea. How's their other stuff??

At The End of Winter would be a much less grim, icy, hate-filled name.

Wow, I was just about to download their other albums last night. I have those two albums on CD, but I never got around to listening to more of their stuff. I almost bought Odinist last time I bought a couple of CDs. Now I'm broke as shit, so much for that idea. How's their other stuff??

I hear some of the earlier material is cool, but avoid anything post-TWWTG