Extreme Metal?

Elric of Melniboné

The White Wolf
Jul 11, 2016
I really only like a handful of extreme metal acts. My taste is pretty much focused on early extreme metal albums. I would love to find more bands that I can enjoy. I'll list a few albums that I like and maybe that will help. I am sure everyone knows these classics.

Slayer - Hell Awaits
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Sodom - In the Sign of Evil
Venom - Black Metal
Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
Possessed - Seven Churches
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness

There are also a couple of newer things that I found that I like because they remind me of older extreme metal. This is the type of stuff that I'm looking for.

Deströyer 666
Aura Noir

I haven't been able to get too much into a lot of the death metal and black metal of the 1990s and onward. One of the only bands that I went back to was Summoning and they're barely like other black metal bands.

Armoured Angel - Stigmartyr / Mysterium
Insanity - Death After Death
Massacra - Final Holocaust
Merciless - The Awakening
Messiah - Hymn to Abramelin
Samael - Worship Him / Blood Ritual
Sarcófago - I.N.R.I
Sextrash - Sexual Carnage
Tormentor - Anno Domini

Reactions: The Butt
For death metal, you'll probably enjoy acts like Death, Cancer, Necrophagia, Autopsy, and Thanatos, black metal wise, try Bathory, Mayhem, Death SS, Hellpreacher, Sabbat (Japan), Sarcófago, Impostor, Viper, Beherit, Root, Archgoat, and Tormentor. Thrash wise, try Razor, Forbidden, Sadus, Vulcano, Atrophy, Poison (Germany), Death Angel, Sepultura, Dark Angel, and Exodus.

Too many bands have been named for me to talk about every single one. I knew about some of them already, especially Bathory which I named in my post and @H.P. Lovecraft was nice enough to recommend. ;) Just assume that I know well-known bands like Death and Sepultura. I didn't name every single band that I know about.

Here are some of the bands that I liked listening to and my thoughts on them:

Mortuary Drape - These guys were super creepy and had just the right vibes for me in terms of feeling and atmosphere. They're on my list of must-have bands now.

Master's Hammer - These vocals are so twisted. I see that the albums are pretty easy to buy and the demo compilation looks enticing.

Infernal Majesty - This was incredible. I need to buy this album because it's the tyoe of thrash that I love.

Samael - I've heard other music by these guys that sounded nothing like this. I enjoyed this a lot more.

Merciless - This was crushing! I loved it.

Absu - These guys have a huge discography. I listened to several songs and I enjoyed most of them a lot. Can someone tell me a good album to buy?

Tormentor - This was cool. Exactly what I wanted. I love the cover art too.

Armoured Angel - These guys were really cool. I'm surprised that they weren't more known.

Razor - I've heard of these guys. Very cool thrash metal. I will buy an album.

I don't want to discuss every single band that was mentioned but this has been a helpful topic.

Absu - These guys have a huge discography. I listened to several songs and I enjoyed most of them a lot. Can someone tell me a good album to buy?

I'm in the minority that thinks Barathrum V.I.T.R.I.O.L is (easily) their best. It's hard to go wrong with their first four, though. Not familiar with the more recent albums.

Glad you liked Armoured Angel! Massively underrated band and one of my favourites.